No ISP!

The Little Guy

You can kinda.  Most ISPs use dynamic ip addressing for customers, so this IP address changes occasionally.  You can use a service like dyndns (http://www.dyndns.com/) that will make it so if you own a domain name (yourdomain.com) it will redirect to your home (or whatever) ip address even if it changes.  The thing is most ISPs block incoming port 80 (http) to prevent you from running a server from home.  You also need to read the Terms of Service agreement that you signed when getting your internet access to see if they specifically disallow this.  If they do, you might be able to get away with it anyway, but at the risk of them shutting you off.  They usually do monitor traffic going to your connection.  You are also very limited on your upstream connection while the downstream is usually pretty fast.  This means that your website will be kind of slow sending data out to anybody connecting to it.

The best thing is to have your own server with dedicated IP plugged in at a data center.  I have 3 for my clients and it is the best solution because you DO set the rules and can install anything that you want without having to go through some shared hosting company that may or may not want to install something for you.

"The best thing is to have your own server with dedicated IP plugged in at a data center.  I have 3 for my clients and it is the best solution because you DO set the rules and can install anything that you want without having to go through some shared hosting company that may or may not want to install something for you."

I would like to see how they would react to you installing 100 illegal things.

@OP:  There is no such thing as no rules in this world.  I'm guessing you mean ISP as in internet connection (some people use the term for web host x.x).  In that case, yeah you probably could do it, but it wouldn't be worth the effort/money.

I am talking "Legal" things.

My web host doesn't allow for things such as Red5, ffserver, or anything that waits for a connection.

they have a wiki page: http://wiki.dreamhost.com/index.php/Persistent_Processes

If I buy a Private server, I can do this, but it is minimum of $20/month, and I don't have that at the moment (I will think about it though)...

The other route, is to upgrade my internet to the Business package, I think it is ~ $100/month, which is more than a private server, but it also comes with telephone (which I don't want).

@OP:  There is no such thing as no rules in this world.  I'm guessing you mean ISP as in internet connection (some people use the term for web host x.x).  In that case, yeah you probably could do it, but it wouldn't be worth the effort/money.

If I were to word that better, it would be like this:

I want something where I could have an internet connection, and not have anyone tell me what: process, email piping files, and mainly number 3 from the above link.

[...]

If I buy a Private server, I can do this, but it is minimum of $20/month, and I don't have that at the moment (I will think about it though)...

[...]

if you don't have $20/mo to pay for a host to enable persistent processes, you don't have enough money to do this yourself.

there is always another option...like, rob a bank! yea! that would work!  then you could afford the $20 a month to have your private server, and then some...of course, there are little details to think about, like the 85 year old guard sitting in the corner with the 45 cal. pistol hanging from his hip...sure he wont hit YOU, but some innocent bystander will get shot because of his shaky hands...are you prepared to deal with that?  and what about the football player in line next to you?  what if he decides to be a hero and tackle and hold you until the cops come?  are you prepared to spend 20 of your most fruitful years bunkmate to a 375 lb man named Bubba?  sure he's nice and all, and has a nice voice, but really...you have to be prepared for these things....

<<btw, when i got to the bubba's voice part, i threw up a little in the back of my mouth...>>

thanks thorpe. I am so confused as to what he wants as well.

If you want to be your own ISP you have to open a ISP provider business. But from somewhere you have to get internet (i think from the government) and it still has rules.

If you want your own host get a POS computer and set up in your house, install linux on it, set it up as a web server, and make sure the outside world can access it (I do this and my unit cost me $200 one time fee, and all I pay for is my Cox cable and an added $30 per month that allows Port 80 and a static IP).

I want to be my own web host, and since my ISP blocks port 80, and prohibits web servers on their "basic" service. I just was wondering if I could get around my ISP.

I can get the business package for $100/month, and then they give me a static IP, and open port 80. I don't need telephone though, and I believe I have to get it.

Also, I am not sure they have the business package available in my area, and my ISP is currently the only ISP in my area.

Seriously, is it so common that ISPs restrict the 80 port in the US? I've never used or heard about a Danish ISP doing this.

i know that where i live (MN, USA), all isp's that i know of block port 80 and have tos language stating that you cannot run a server over the connection (thus preventing you from using other ports) unless you purchase a "business package"...looked into that, but super expensive and not much different than a standard connection except that you can host your own pages...

I want to be my own web host, and since my ISP blocks port 80, and prohibits web servers on their "basic" service. I just was wondering if I could get around my ISP.

No. Even ISP's buy bandwidth from other ISP's. You cannot simply become an ISP and go around the one you have.

I'm not sure how it works over there but here all our network infrastructure was built by our one and only (until maybe 10 years ago) tele co which at the time was government owned. When other providers started appearing they would simply rent bandwidth and infrastructure from them.

Now, not knowing how your system works I would however hazard a guess that it would be much similar though there may be a few more primary providers around. However, do you  really think a primary provider who is used to selling bandwidth and infrastructure in large allotments (millions of $) to smaller providers is going to let you connect one lonely server directly to there network?

Of course not, that is what ISP's are for.

Why don't you save your pennies and simply rent yourself a VPS?

Isn't there like an internet hub in Chicago, where all the ISP providers connect to?

I think the word Internet has just been thrown around so much throughout the years that it has actually lost it's meaning.  The internet is not a real location.  We are not on the Internet.  All of us are just networked to a network of networks.  A spiderweb of spiderwebs.

The best example I can think of would be Google.  If you think Google is in one city, then no.  It's in several and the building/servers are spanned across the world.  If they weren't....then EVERYONE would be connected to one building at one time.  And that ONE building would have to get information for the entire world..  It almost seems logical to have a Google company in the UK to collect information there easier....because it is logical..most people from UK will go there, because it's quicker for them.  Almost like the same reason there are several Six Flags theme parks spanned around the US.  It would have to be one damned good theme park to be in one location...and it would have to hold it's own for all the traffic that would come through.

So what I'm getting at is all these....ISPs....are simply leasing out connections to larger ISPs who have connections to larger ISPs.  Actually, there isn't really a larger ISP.  Excluding the IEEE standards and such.

Hopefully someone can fill in the blanks on the rest of this because my mind has went blank now.....but I hope I've done some good

I made it bold where it talks about web servers:

Customer may set up one (1) web page per service account for personal use of the Service' date=' but Customer may not establish a web page using a server located at Customer’s home. [b']Customer will not use, or allow others to use, Customer’s home computer as a web server[/b], FTP server, file server or game server or to run any other server applications or to provide network or host services to others via Charter’s network. Customer will not use, or allow others to use, the Service to operate any type of business or commercial enterprise, including but not limited to, IP address translation or similar facilities intended to provide additional access. Customer will not advertise that the Service is available for use by third parties or unauthorized users. Customer will not resell or redistribute, or allow others to resell or redistribute, access to the Service in any manner, including but not limited to wireless technology.