Another High School Site

jcombs_31

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

While I do appreciate the compliments, do you have anything constructive to say about it that may help to improve it?

I can't really see anything that I'd want to see fixed. >_<  I'd be curious to see how it looks when it's actually coded though.

Should look pretty much exactly the same. Of course I'll have to work on the sub-pages but they'll follow the same structure, just no image gallery/highlights at the top.

I like it, but i will play devils advocate.

Most high school sites i have seen are not boring by poor design.  They are supposed to have a business feel and look.  As are business sites, financial sites, and university sites.

I like the look, but I think for a high school site it could look less like espn.com or ign.com and more like a high school site.  Maybe a good medium?

I like it, but i will play devils advocate.

Most high school sites i have seen are not boring by poor design.  They are supposed to have a business feel and look.  As are business sites, financial sites, and university sites.

I like the look, but I think for a high school site it could look less like espn.com or ign.com and more like a high school site.  Maybe a good medium?

I'm not to sure I 100% agree with this.  Who is the audience?  Students, faculty, parents?  And what are they looking for, information, times, dates, events, etc...  I think as long as you provide that information in a easy to find way then it doesn't matter what the site looks like, to an extent.  It's not like he's trying to have people sign up or sell products on the site, people are going to go directly to it, get information, and leave.

Looks good, Jeff. The only thing I can think about is giving the username and password field (which I assume they are) background images saying respectively "username" and "password" and switch to the regular background when activated. Just for accessibility and such. It looks a bit strange to just have to form fields and a button with no visual aid about their meaning.

Looks good, Jeff. The only thing I can think about is giving the username and password field (which I assume they are) background images saying respectively "username" and "password" and switch to the regular background when activated. Just for accessibility and such. It looks a bit strange to just have to form fields and a button with no visual aid about their meaning.

I didn't even notice that, I thought it was just 1 search field.  8)

I am not entirely sure who the prospective audience is...

But lets say these kids are trying to further their education and are applying for college.  This website screams Texas football then wallmart employment.  I think it looks good, but i tried to find some criticism to help the designer because thats what jcombs is looking for.  Check out a university level 'good' school with great sports: www.bc.edu .

If I were still in high school I would hope my school would be represented by academics before sports (including the look and feel of the website that is public access).

everyone keps saying its to sports orientated it seems but really its not true the defualt thing he used in news was sports but im assuming its going to be a news viewer that changes at random..

i say this because the right side shows smaller boxes with news to select for that

overall i love the site

nice work

damn i got beat on my post

I've been slacking a little bit on this and have made some changes.  As stated, the football picture was something random I picked up for a place holder.  The main feature is the slides with some text over them.  They'll clearly change but there is a chance that football will get up there at some point.  I'll try to post the changes later, but hope to get coding on this soon. Thanks for everyone's feedback.

I like it alot but the one thing that bothers me is in the upper right hand section is 2 forms and I have no idea what they would be for. Username and password? Use javascripts onblur and onclick i guess to make the user understand what they  are for idk.

I got a sample home page done.  Check it out and let me know what you think.

http://multimedia-technologies.com/clientsites/coconutcreek/

Still some fine tuning and the footer to deal with, but I'm pleased overall.

I haven't checked IE6 yet, so if it is messed up, let me know. I have to reinstall my virtual machine.

Its not valid btw

Calling me out for a couple missing alt tags is far from constructive.

Best highschool site I've ever seen.  No kidding.  Can't find anything I don't like.  (There will be stuff to the left of the insignia on the bottom, right?  Looks kinda... empty.)

Yes, there will be some text there, just haven't worked out that part yet.

You are right Steve, I should do a little validation of the url.  I'm still planning to add some ajax to the calendar and I'll work that into it.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.