Windows 7 Anyone?

NoPHPPhD

I think Vista now isn't nearly as bad as people remember it.  Now the world has accepted that it's a horrible resource hog if it looks pretty, and all of the driver stuff and other random oops were fixed with SP1 (for the most part).

But yeah, I have tried Windows 7, and I like it.  Much more than Vista now, and a ton more than when I first got Vista.

I finally downloaded it a few nights ago, haven't had a chance to actually install it on my spare hdd.

I'll admit it, vista actually grew on me and I'm kinda looking forward to the final Windows 7...

I'm probably going to take back that statement in the not too distant future.

I personally think MS should make the upgrade from Vista -> 7 cheap when ever it's released.  Partly because I'm a cheap bastard, and partly because I put up with Vista back in its bad days for a couple months.

But yeah, I'm looking forward to final Windows 7.  Did you hear they're going from B1->RC1->Release if all goes well?

Ouch.  Home Premium ftw.

I understand MS's need to make money, thus the different OS releases (Home, Home Premium, Business so on), but I don't quite get the naming scheme.  Aero isn't for basic home users?  They wouldn't use/want it?  Wonder what the different versions of Windows 7 will be named....

Yes, I did hear the B1->RC1->Release rumor.

I bet it is true if not close to the truth. I mean, the capped the limit at 2.5 MILLION in beta, thats a HUGE beta. Much like the one that jumped up out of his fishbowl and ate my dog, but thats a different story. Never feed your beta steroids btw.

Anyway, Win7 is rock solid so far.

Hehe I used to have betas when I was a little kid (1 at a time, but multiple over the years).

But yeah, so far Windows 7 has been much, much nicer to me than Vista.  lol.

I would be tempted to switch to Win 7 entirely if it weren't for all my software under Vista.

I don't like it, I do not like the way ot looks, but there we go...

I hope they will make a cheap Vista --> 7 price, again, I had mine 2 weeks before Vista release, never really had a problem.

I kinda wanted them to doa  'Mac' thing, where they would have on version for cheap, that would win back people as it is a simple package, with a very nice price.

I installed 7 and had filesystem errors (I think because I had a linux partition and it was trying to mount it but couldn't) so I took it off and installed openSuSE and corrupted my Vista partiton. So, I formatted everything and tried just installing 7 and its been running fine ever since. Its faster than Vista in a lot of ways:

-boot time is significantly faster

-network connection is faster (Vista took forever to first connect to a wireless network, this takes seconds)

-Aero theme is not laggy

On top of that there's a lot of features I like. The superbar is useful (although I mostly use a keyboard launcher) and when the windows go transparent (I forget offhand how to make that happen) its occasionally useful too.

Anyway, much better than Vista. I hope I can keep using the beta for free after the release :D

I got tired of xp and wanted to try something new so I installed Ubuntu. I've been happy with it ever since and don't feel the need to go back to a microsoft OS. How ever I do hope people will like windows 7 better then vista maybe it will finally be the beginning of the end for ie6. Even if I don't care much for optimizing for ie6 my employer does.

I installed 7 and had filesystem errors (I think because I had a linux partition and it was trying to mount it but couldn't) so I took it off and installed openSuSE and corrupted my Vista partiton. So, I formatted everything and tried just installing 7 and its been running fine ever since. Its faster than Vista in a lot of ways:

-boot time is significantly faster

-network connection is faster (Vista took forever to first connect to a wireless network, this takes seconds)

-Aero theme is not laggy

On top of that there's a lot of features I like. The superbar is useful (although I mostly use a keyboard launcher) and when the windows go transparent (I forget offhand how to make that happen) its occasionally useful too.

Anyway, much better than Vista. I hope I can keep using the beta for free after the release :D

I think 7 is more responsive in general.  It could be an unfair comparison though since I have a crap load of stuff open under Vista usually, and I had relatively nothing open on 7.

The beta cuts off in August if I remember right.  Then you'll either have to pay or stop using it (or downgrade if you installed over another OS).  (Or there's always the illegal options...... ;p)

I think 7 is more responsive in general.  It could be an unfair comparison though since I have a crap load of stuff open under Vista usually, and I had relatively nothing open on 7.

The beta cuts off in August if I remember right.  Then you'll either have to pay or stop using it (or downgrade if you installed over another OS).  (Or there's always the illegal options...... ;p)

Well by then I guess I'll be switching to either completely Linux, or keeping a small Vista partition just for Visual Basic for school. I wanted to run Vista as a VM but was having issues with that too. My computer hates me, and to be honest, I hate it right back.

I hope they make it really cheap/free to try to make amends for Vista. Whether its as bad as people say or not, I think it would probably be in their best interest since OSX/Linux have slowly been gaining user percentages. It would probably heal some ill will between customers that were thrown off by Vista. Although I guess if they're spending millions to develop it, they're not just going to hand it out. We'll see. It'll still probably be $150 or whatever the standard rate usually is.

One of these days, when I feel like it I will switch back to Linux. I was on Linux till no games worked on it, that bothered me.

For me, it was Debian all the way.

A note, I did DL Windows 7, same thing as vista. I did not notice a difference in the two. Maybe someone else did?

Anyways, I hate the display style windows is going to and plan to, instead of complain, just switch back to Debian.

One of these days, when I feel like it I will switch back to Linux. I was on Linux till no games worked "well" on it (they worked, just better performance on Windows), that bothered me.

A note, I did DL Windows 7, same thing as vista. I did not notice a difference in the two. Maybe someone else did?

Anyways, I hate the display style windows is going to and plan to, instead of complain, just switch back to Debian.

One of these days, when I feel like it I will switch back to Linux. I was on Linux till no games worked on it, that bothered me.

I noticed a difference.  There are a couple GUI differences, but like I said before, Windows 7 seems much more responsive.  But, as I said earlier, it was a fresh install.  Fresh installs always seem better ;p.

I noticed a difference.  There are a couple GUI differences, but like I said before, Windows 7 seems much more responsive.  But, as I said earlier, it was a fresh install.  Fresh installs always seem better ;p.

Fresh installs are always better. But I guess I should have noted, I have never used Vista for more than 15 minutes. So yea, I guess I cannot accurately compare the two.

It looked the same, as far as functionality, no clue. I just hope my work goes to Windows 7 instead of Vista! Vista to me is the same as ME was, just a bridge for Microsoft to milk more money between 2 decent OS's.

When I first read that, I read it as "French installs are always better."

I was like "Huh...  Why???"  Then I reread it.  lol.

Anyway, I agree to some extent that Vista was just another ME, but in all fairness, I think MS thought it was a good product.  I don't think they (as in the company... I'm sure individuals expected it) expected the driver issues.  Also, I don't think they thought people would have as much trouble with under powered hardware.

But yeah, it does seem kind of odd that XP was 01, Vista was late 06/07, and now 7 will be '10.  6 years, and then 3 years.  Kind of odd.

But hey, as much as I love to bash Vista, I must admit, I use it every day, and over all, I have very few problems or issues with it.

But yeah, it does seem kind of odd that XP was 01, Vista was late 06/07, and now 7 will be '10.  6 years, and then 3 years.  Kind of odd.

You do know they have been developing Vista since XP was released. It was codenamed Longhorn. In about 05 they canned the code cause they realized it was too much for the public and then coded Vista in out a year, which explains all the issues. Instead of taking the time to finesse Longhorn and get it nice, they just wanted a simple product and yea. Thus Vista was born.

Longhorn was pretty cool, it was extremely customizable, I guess M$ thought that it was too much power to give a user and decided to limit it with a re-code called Vista.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.