How do you guys continue to help out?

WolfRage

Nice links Maq & Dan (bookmarked).

Sadly, it seems many people prefer to just pop into forums, ask a dumb question and leave as opposed to actually researching something on their own (afterall, if they did that, they might actually learn to become self proficient... Hell, why learn how to fish when someone will gladly give you a fish. Less work, no?).

In any case, these links makes for great fodder for when someone does ask a stupid question. It might not transform them into people who take self initiatives to learn and problem solve (you know, a trait useful for everyday life), but sure does reveal how R-tarded they are in the process.

I tend to stick with these forums, as others have stated, to try out problems I haven't tried before. All of the problems proposed by classes and books are full of academic types of problems and they get stale fairly fast (You can only make so many calculators before you want to hang yourself). There are, on occasion, some fun to answer questions on this board beyond the boilerplate stuff I'm used to doing.

In addition, also along with what someone else said, I don't get to do PHP beyond some personal quick scripts and the like since all of my other programming is done with different technologies. I love PHP, so I have to come here to get to write some code.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.