Earth Hour 2009

Cander

VOTE EARTH

YOUR LIGHT SWITCH IS YOUR VOTE

This year, Earth Hour has been transformed into the world’s first global election, between Earth and global warming.

For the first time in history, people of all ages, nationalities, race and background have the opportunity to use their light switch as their vote – Switching off your lights is a vote for Earth, or leaving them on is a vote for global warming. WWF are urging the world to VOTE EARTH and reach the target of 1 billion votes, which will be presented to world leaders at the Global Climate Change Conference in Copenhagen 2009.

This meeting will determine official government policies to take action against global warming, which will replace the Kyoto Protocol. It is the chance for the people of the world to make their voice heard.

Earth Hour began in Sydney in 2007, when 2.2 million homes and businesses switched off their lights for one hour. In 2008 the message had grown into a global sustainability movement, with 50 million people switching off their lights. Global landmarks such as the Golden Gate Bridge in San Francisco, Rome’s Colosseum, the Sydney Opera House and the Coca Cola billboard in Times Square all stood in darkness.

In 2009, Earth Hour is being taken to the next level, with the goal of 1 billion people switching off their lights as part of a global vote. Unlike any election in history, it is not about what country you’re from, but instead, what planet you’re from. VOTE EARTH is a global call to action for every individual, every business, and every community. A call to stand up and take control over the future of our planet. Over 74 countries and territories have pledged their support to VOTE EARTH during Earth Hour 2009, and this number is growing everyday.

We all have a vote, and every single vote counts. Together we can take control of the future of our planet, for future generations.

VOTE EARTH by simply switching off your lights for one hour, and join the world for Earth Hour.

Saturday, March 28, 8:30-9:30pm.

Do you care?

Not to discourage you, but electric grid is not a battery. You can't save power this way. Power plants can not reduce their output and then get back to full power within seconds. In fact the stress such actions put on grid can cause damage and financial costs.

Instead of of turning your lights off tomorrow for one hour, take care to turn off not needed electrical appliances on day to day basis. (And beware of power leeching 'standby' mode ;) )

I watched that stupid commercial last night and asked the same question about the timezone. Seriously, whats there goal?

I also took in consideration the fact that if the electricity must go somewhere... in most places there is no battery to simply store up the electricity for an hour then let it back into the grid. Hmm, anyone actually know/can reference the effects of " "Earth Hour" "?

I find it to be a clever gimmick to remind people that electricity costs not just the wallet, but fuel and other resources (while providing billions of jobs)

I find it to be a clever gimmick to remind people that electricity costs not just the wallet, but fuel and other resources (while providing billions of jobs)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Earth_Hour#Interpretation

It's supposed to be pretty sweet if you have a space shuttle though... 8) Kind of like a dark belt moving slowly around the earth.

In my opinion, I see this day more symbolic than directly "useful" in that way. Hopefully some people start relize this is not a joke and need to be think of every day...

Yeah, well it really won't do anything except take an hour away from me being on the computer. 

I understand the seriousness of the situation, but what's the point of me thinking about this?  What can I do?  I'm not an engineer.

In my opinion, I see this day more symbolic than directly "useful" in that way. Hopefully some people start relize this is not a joke and need to be think of every day...

Yeah, well it really won't do anything except take an hour away from me being on the computer. 

I understand the seriousness of the situation, but what's the point of me thinking about this?  What can I do?  I'm not an engineer.

Turn off stuff you don't need, open a window from time to time instead of running the AC, blah blah blah

I watched that stupid commercial last night and asked the same question about the timezone. Seriously, whats there goal?

I also took in consideration the fact that if the electricity must go somewhere... in most places there is no battery to simply store up the electricity for an hour then let it back into the grid. Hmm, anyone actually know/can reference the effects of " "Earth Hour" "?

Myth Busted

The result of this simple electricity test with a "Kill-A-Watt" says that you definitely bust the myth saying that the energy consumed on a light ball startup is so great that you will lose energy turning it on and off all the time.

So turning your electricity stuff at least in your house  down tonight will make a change, don't worry.

Haha, yeah I'd actually be inclined to do that. Just to protest against the immense amount of stupidity this "project" involves. It's like those people who wish to lose weight. They eat healthily and/or exercise for a while, but when they've lost a few pounds they return to their old habits, which ultimately voids whatever effort they put into it. They need to do it all the time. Same goes with energy consumption. If you want to cut it down then it won't matter just to do it one hour each year. It's a completely retarded idea that was made for people who suck at math by people who suck at math.

Then of course some people claim that it's for raising awareness, but that's even more stupid. In doing that you give some people the illusion that this actually helps, so because they did something "good" during Earth Hour then it won't matter so much if they don't think about it otherwise.

I have to agree, people will pat themselves on the back for making a difference and forget about it.

Does anybody know just how much fact there is in that humans are killing the planet? I mean, do websites like this, actually give us the facts, or are they just conspiracy theories?

Adam

Does anybody know just how much fact there is in that humans are killing the planet? I mean, do websites like this, actually give us the facts, or are they just conspiracy theories?

AFAIK, a lot of scientists disagree about that subject, so it's sort of a stretch to make a huge list of "facts".

(I didn't actually read the page you linked to)

Yeah, I don't blame you.

Personally, I don't really care about it all. I'll do my bit by turning off electrical appliances I'm not using (though TBH, probably more for my own financial benefit), recycling my paper and bottles (probably because the black bin would get too full), etc.. And just ignore all this crap!

Personally I just cannot imagine that human influence can be large enough to change the planet's climate.

However, I am aware, that majority of scientists (especially climatologists) agree on that. Given they're experts, and I am not, I trust them, not my imagination.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.