Simple css/html layout problem

doctortim

Hi guys

setting up the layout div's for a new website.

Essentially i have three divs that will act as columns. I want a central (centred) column of fixed width 1000px. and the left and right columns to scale their width according to the remaning screen width. The three columns currently sit inside an overall container div.

Here is the code:

HTML ...

<div id="container">
<div id="left_header"></div>
<div id="central_header"></div>
<div id="right_header"></div>
</div>

and CSS ...

body {margin-top:0px; margin-bottom:0px; margin-left:0px; margin-right:0px; }

#container {height:200px; width:100%;}

#left_header {float:left; height:200px; width:100px; background-image: url(img/heading-left.png);background-repeat: repeat-x;background-position: left top;}

#central_header {float:left; height:250px; width:1000px; background-image: url(img/main_header.png); background-position: left top;}

#right_header {float:left; height:200px; width:100px; background-image: url(img/heading-right.png); background-repeat:repeat-x; background-position: left top;}

really man...this forum is for php...stop wasting peoples time, besides...its freakin css, google that, not the hardest to figure out. or post it in a CSS or HTML forum, have some sense

Relax, we're here to help.  If a thread is in the wrong section then click on the "report to a moderator" link and tell them which section to put it .

Thank you Maq for some maturity.

Haku, please take a deep breath and look back through this thread: I asked a question politely (probably in the wrong topic...sure, I get that part!) and all i needed to be told was the correct protocol for having my question answered - not to bluntly be reminded of the subject matter of the thread. Don't comment in my thread if you can't advance the discussion.

Thank you Maq for some maturity.

Haku, please take a deep breath and look back through this thread: I asked a question politely (probably in the wrong topic...sure, I get that part!) and all i needed to be told was the correct protocol for having my question answered - not to bluntly be reminded of the subject matter of the thread. Don't comment in my thread if you can't advance the discussion.

Doctortim, haku is right.  The reason you're not getting any help is because you are being rude and posted in the wrong section.  You probably posted this in the PHP Help section because it has the most traffic, which is ignorant, and that's how you are treated.

We're here to help, it's not like we get paid commission for every solution we provide...

and all i needed to be told was the correct protocol for having my question answered

Correct protocol?  Isn't that quite obvious?  You state your question (in the right section!), with enough information for people to help you, and wait for an answer.  If someone is rude, which they really weren't, just ignore them.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.