IE in windows 7 beta

Derleek

So my friend hooked me up w/ a windows 7 beta... i booted up the partition to do some testing in IE with a site i'm working on... and much to my surprise the usual bugs were no where to be found!!!

I'm not sure what version of IE the beta is running (perhaps a secret version of IE that IS standards compliant.. lol), but it APPEARS to be much better as far as embracing w3c standards (at least w/ CSS).

Does anyone have any extra info on this?... is IE ACTUALLY going to become standards compliant?

IE 8 is supposedly going to be close to standards than any other. It may not fully comply, but that is where they are headed. Alternatively you can define statements in your code for different spreadsheets for IE 6 and 7 since they both display separately from each other and IE 8.

But yes, IE 8 is suppose to comply with standards.

Yea I heard IE8 was going to be even worse than IE6&7 but it looks like microsoft my actually be getting their shit together in the web browsing department.

hopefully one day we can all design in a standards compliant environment!!

Yea I heard IE8 was going to be even worse than IE6&7 but it looks like microsoft my actually be getting their shit together in the web browsing department.

hopefully one day we can all design in a standards compliant environment!!

...and then your pay rate will go down.  Easier the work is, the lower the pay.  Double edged sword.

Yea I heard IE8 was going to be even worse than IE6&7

IE 8 worse than IE 6? lol Don't think so.. 6 is a sick, sick animal that really needs to be put down once and for all. When I did temporarily have IE 8 installed, it seemed pretty half decent (better than both IE 6 and 7 - read: compliant sites / pages that I tested rendered properly on IE 8 ).

IE will never be my weapon of choice however. I much prefer Chrome, Firefox and Opera. I find these browsers are easier to work with (as far as setting options and whatnot - we won't even bother going into how they are more W3C compliant, or speed differences and the like).

One of the only things I like about IE 8 over the others is how they display code via 'view source'. The have it set up really nicely IMO. Other than that, the browser would look better in my recycle bin.

[Easier the work is, the lower the pay.  Double edged sword.

Maybe a little bit, i doubt this would actually effect anything.  At most it likely means you will do work faster and your pay will decrease proportionately... which means its a really dull double edged sword ;) lol

@nrg - IE has and probably will always be behind the curve in over all quality.  The real question is why do so many people use it?  ???

IE8 is still a long way away from any other browsers.

It doesn't fully support CSS3 (with stuff such as border-radius) and it still has some stupid bugs like password inputs being smaller than text inputs in xhtml.

IE will always suck  :'(

I was actually quite impressed with the webdeveloper thing. However, the annoying thing is that it doesn't declare itself as IE7, so it doesn't pick up any of my conditional statements for IE7 though.

And have you seen the list of "incompatible" websites with IE8? It's funny - it's literally like all the major websites, such as yahoo, google, amazon, ebay etc.

I believe the full list is here : http://blogs.zdnet.com/microsoft/?p=2072

...And the backwards compatibility button that renders the page as IE7.

I got burned on that one though.. I tested one of my pages in IE 7, and it rendered as intended. So then I download and install IE 8. The warning about not being able to uninstall IE 8 once it is installed comes up. I'm thinking, 'What do I care? It has IE 7 rendering capabilities'. So I install away.. fire it up.. page looks great in IE 8. Go into IE 7 compatibility mode... low and behold, certain small aspects didn't render quite correctly. So I look into this 'compatibility' thing, and surely enough, I come across an article claiming that in truth, IE 8 doesn't contain the actual IE 7 rendering engine, rather it closely emulates it.

I'm thinking to myself, 'You've got to be kidding me.. Certainly explains the subtle page rendering discrepencies! Damn you Microsoft!'

So, pull out my copy of Norton Ghost, and go back in to an image that is a clean install of windows / IE 7.

nrg_alpha, do you actually use IE?

And well, my conditional statements didn't work in IE8. I just assumed it was because it didn't understand them. Or maybe it's because of the "poor emulation" nrg_alpha stated, thus it wasn't interpreting them correctly. Who knows.

Everyone constantly complains about IE7. Why? On my first shot, I can design a website perfectly in IE7, Opera, FF, Safari, and Chrome. Sure, IE7 isn't as good as FF since it lacks firebug and fast load times, but there really isn't anything to complain about.

The only problem I ever had with IE7 is that it doesn't support "display: table" which makes things I pain in the ass when shrink wrapping anything.

It seems as though IE7's name is just tarnished, stained with complaints from people who can not design properly. So my big question? What makes IE7 so bad? Refrain from the stereotypical "it isn't standards complaint." Specific examples.

It doesn't support display: table as you said

It doesn't support xhtml

It doesn't understand absolute positioning

It doesn't understand the box model

It miscalculates stuff, like margins and widths

It puts margins on stuff that shouldn't have margins

It doesn't support CSS2

It doesn't understand opacity

It has stupid stuff for its obscure CSS like alpha filter or whatever, which invalidates your CSS

It's stupid

It's slow

A small portion of reasons why IE(7) sucks. I'm not going to "flame" you again, because last time I got a warning. But you don't know what you're talking about.

It doesn't support display: table as you said

It doesn't support xhtml

It doesn't understand absolute positioning

It doesn't understand the box model

It miscalculates stuff, like margins and widths

It puts margins on stuff that shouldn't have margins

It doesn't support CSS2

It doesn't understand opacity

It has stupid stuff for its obscure CSS like alpha filter or whatever, which invalidates your CSS

It's stupid

It's slow

A small portion of reasons why IE(7) sucks. I'm not going to "flame" you again, because last time I got a warning. But you don't know what you're talking about.

I'm not talking about IE6. IE6 has huge problems when it comes to basic css positioning. IE7 on the other hand understands the box model well. I never had an issue with it. IE7 doesn't understand opacity because it requires the ActiveX object to render the desired effect. Using opacity isn't the greatest solution when you want to make a div "semi transparent." You could easily use a png. This enables you to have text 100% visible (whereas this is not possible, since opacity affects all elements within the div, including text).

Xhtml isn't fully supported by IE7. Although its unfortunate, php/javascript could be easily used to take the raw xhtml and convert it to nicely formatted/looking html. Raw xhtml doesn't look very pretty in a typical browser.

Anyone else? What makes IE7 so bad?

I disagree - I don't believe IE7 complies with the box model. A while ago on my site, I had a relatively positioned "container" and an absolutely positioned div which displays at the top, in the middle on anything that isn't IE (not including 8).

Because the container is relative, the box model states that the absolute div should be contained within its parent. However, with IE6/7 this is not the case. It displays outside of the box off to the right of the screen. I don't think that's particularly compliant...

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.