Some ideas for websites

Asheeown

I have the world of the web open to me, I have my own server in a data center can order and domain name I want for a nice cheap price.  Yet, I don't know what to do with it all.  I used to run a nice little application some people used but the program it monitored went under and now I'm stuck with basically nothing running on the server.

I love to script and I want to make something nice, either informative or useful in some way to people.  Doesn't matter if it makes money or not.  Anyone have any ideas?

A Proxy site!

Actually I already have that as a subdomain for both my domains, doesn't do much really and I didn't program it so I don't like that.  I want a project I can really sink my teeth into.  I do some freelancing apart from this so like I said it doesn't need to make money, it would be nice if it did though.

pr0n is the way to go. Those websites crank in the dough. It is pretty crazy how much they bring in.

Alternatively, (a bit off topic) I have heard opening your own Liquor store is a great way to make money as well. As they tend to do a 90% increase on price of liquor from what they buy it at. Just pick a good area (rich area is probably better) and voom.

Sure. Have my amazing money-spinning idea. Why wouldn't i want you to have it?

In all seriousness, if anyone has a good idea, they'll be keeping it to themselves.

What the hell is your problem?

I said I didn't even want it to make money, I DON'T CARE, it's a personal project.

Your asking on the wrong site.

You could ask anywhere you want, NOBODY will give you an idea.

If you want something new you will need to think of it yourself, or with someone who wants to go 50/50 with you.

If you ask for an idea you will get reply's back, but all they will be are ideas for you to remake an existing object or website.

If you want something new think of it yourself, as you will not get something new from asking on a web forum, due to the fact that know one knows how well a new idea will be, so they will try them self and try to make money off of it instead of having you make money off their idea.

In all seriousness, if anyone has a good idea, they'll be keeping it to themselves.

Watch your language.

I said I didn't even want it to make money, I DON'T CARE, it's a personal project.

Don't you see though? Though you might not be interested in making money, you obviously would like to create something which people are going to use - you want a website with some notable traffic. Even that's a hard thing these days - without a good idea that is. And that's why people who think they have some unique niche - or even just the ability to do something better - will be keeping it to themselves.

Well, one would assume if you have your own server and are paying for rack space/maintenance then you'd prefer an idea that brings in a bit of revenue to cover the costs.  We don't know your interests, what kind of knowledge you possess, what the name of your domain is, etc...  How are we supposed to suggest something without any information, and if we did have a great idea, even if it didn't make money, than Ginger is right, why would we tell you?

I guess you could go on some freelance sites to get some ideas.

I do some freelancing apart from this so like I said it doesn't need to make money, it would be nice if it did though.

That right there suggests that I don't care about about the running costs.  It is my own server, I maintain it and the rack slot/bandwith fee is waved for me.  Doesn't mean I can go crazy with bandwidth but it means that the idea doesn't have to make money.

I'm not asking anyone to give up their golden idea but that's what everyone keeps assuming, thanks for flaming, I don't need help from people who act like this.

Oh wow, I got a great idea! Make a flawless text based game! That would be awesome and that can require quite a bit for a server!

No, don't ask me how to make a flawless text based game though, but its a good suggestion right? None of them exist, so its unique!  ;)

That right there suggests that I don't care about about the running costs. 

I do some freelancing apart from this so like I said it doesn't need to make money, it would be nice if it did though.

No, but you would like it to make money. Unfortunately for you we live in a world where people do lie and steal. Even ideas. It would be nice to "trust" your word, but come on. If you had a badass awesome idea and some guy came along and said, "I am bored I need an idea, I do not want to make money off of it, do you have any" would you give him your idea?

It is always about money, do not kid yourself. You want to make some extra, and if you get an idea from someone to make that extra money all the better for you.

You can debate this all you want and try and say you were innocent, which you may have been, but the end goal. You wanted something unique that you could make money off of. Sorry bud but that is the world we live in. The fact that your are so defensive makes me feel even more that your only goal was to steal someone's idea to help you make money.

Anyone else would have been, "yea I understand about the money concern, thanks. I figured it was worth a shot." and went on.

Don't waste your breath, kid.  My last project made a grand total of 83 cents off ads from google over it's one year eight month period of being live.  That's with 500+ unique users using it.  I don't want you to come here and accuse me of wanting to steal someone's golden idea, I'd rather you just keep to yourself.  I am not a shallow little shit looking to steal other peoples' ideas.  If you don't want to share an idea DON'T, simple solution.  Jesus christ what is wrong with asking if anyone has any harmless ideas.

I'm basically not even asking for a website idea, it's an idea for an application.  Like monitoring an existing program from the web.  My goal isn't to take peoples' ideas that they want to utilize it's to pursue an idea that someone has that they would like to see.