Twitter sucks

.josh

The internet has kind of outdated "mobile phones" (hence the british-ness :P)

Phones are expensive...internet is free.

Plus, I don't get out much...I still have £7 of the £10 credit I bought about a year ago.

Still, nice to have. I don't know why. Probably all the advertising makes me feel inadequate without one...

perhaps he is referring to local "hot spots." I guess he does not realize the indirect costs.. I can stay at home on the internet, sit in my chair nakie, jerking off to pr0n.  If I were to go to my local starbucks, I'd have to put on clothes (that I had to buy, and not just any clothes, if I want to adhere to social statuses associated with hanging out at starbucks), drive there, which costs me money in gas, and also having to pay monthly payments for having the car in the first place.. and I'd have to buy something so they don't kick me out.

Then I'd have to consider the limitations of that connection.  It's public, so I can't exactly jerk off to my pr0n.  I wouldn't trust doing things that require a certain level of security, etc...

Phones are expensive...internet is free.

Where the hell do you get free internet?

I steal my neighbour's wireless. My mom doesn't like me having the internet in my room, so she won't let me plug her modem into my router (sounds...dirty).

And lol...CV...nice analogy.

FWIW, Twitter posts have been describing the situation in Iran with greater frequency and more accuracy than any American MSM source.  Things that have later been verified by photos, videos, and reporters hours later.

Yeah, that's an example of one of the benefits. The example I read (which was lame, but still illustrated the point) was say you're 'survivor' type show is on in a few hours, and you live on the west coast.. in theory, nothing stops you from checking the results of who got ousted on Twitter before the show is on in your time zone. People can post results on Twitter once they see the show (and assume they are a few time zones a head of you).

While popular websites are updated with half decent speed, I don't think it compares to Twitter in that regard.

FWIW, Twitter posts have been describing the situation in Iran with greater frequency and more accuracy than any American MSM source.  Things that have later been verified by photos, videos, and reporters hours later.

Yeah, that's an example of one of the benefits. The example I read (which was lame, but still illustrated the point) was say you're 'survivor' type show is on in a few hours, and you live on the west coast.. in theory, nothing stops you from checking the results of who got ousted on Twitter before the show is on in your time zone. People can post results on Twitter once they see the show (and assume they are a few time zones a head of you).

While popular websites are updated with half decent speed, I don't think it compares to Twitter in that regard.

Like you say, that's a lame example because the same could be said for any message board or wiki.  The hook for Twitter is that it's essentially a RSS aggrigator (sp?), only the feeds are other people that you subscribe to.  It's pretty much the same thing as Facebook's status update feature, without the stupid 160 character limit.

I haven't played around with it much myself, so I'm wondering how the updates are displayed.  If there's some real time AJAX-driven mojo that automatically makes the updates appear on the screen after each submission or comment, it'd be perfect for the revolutionary on the run.

Like you say, that's a lame example because the same could be said for any message board or wiki.  The hook for Twitter is that it's essentially a RSS aggrigator (sp?), only the feeds are other people that you subscribe to.  It's pretty much the same thing as Facebook's status update feature, without the stupid 160 character limit.

I haven't played around with it much myself, so I'm wondering how the updates are displayed.  If there's some real time AJAX-driven mojo that automatically makes the updates appear on the screen after each submission or comment, it'd be perfect for the revolutionary on the run.

Haven't used twitter, but I believe 'tweets' are limited to 140 characters.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.