Advanced PHP OOP

f1r3fl3x

OOP has (almost) nothing to do with syntax. It's a paradigm, so it's more about the style you program in, the way you think when coding. I'm sorry to say it, but if you've just learned PHP's syntax for OOP related concepts, you haven't learned OOP. If you'd like a book I would recommend Design Patterns by Gamma et al. It's pretty much a classic. If you want a more PHP oriented book you can read PHP Objects, Patterns, and Practice by Zandstra. It doesn't really matter that it's in PHP though. The concepts are universally applicable to any language that supports object oriented features.

All though Daniel0 is correct - PHP OOP doesn't satisfy traditional and strict coding patterns that many prgrammers are expecting when they move over from C or java. PHP was always intended to be more procedural. OOP was thrown in later in the versions and although OOP's support has imensely grown in the recent years, there is still a lot of improvement.

Don't forget that OOP does not outperform procedural code. The upside to OOP is productivity. Your coding time will decrease by ten fold if you take a few extra steps and code in OOP.

Advanced POOP

lol..I had to do it

but yeah..

If you want to learn.....OOP or Advanced OOP

I would suggest digging into some Java.  Buy you a good book, get you a good compiler.  I learned with BlueJ.. probably not the best in the world. I'm sure a good percentage of people will lean on NetBeans or something I've never tried it.  But that's how I learned OOP.

I don't even use Java .. at all, but I sure as hell know what OOP is I'll tell you that.  I even coded in PHP way before I used Java.  I didn't even know what OOP was until I took that Java course at college.

public static void main....it's burned in my brain  :facewall:

Advanced POOP

lol..I had to do it

but yeah..

If you want to learn.....OOP or Advanced OOP

I would suggest digging into some Java.  Buy you a good book, get you a good compiler.  I learned with BlueJ.. probably not the best in the world. I'm sure a good percentage of people will lean on NetBeans or something I've never tried it.  But that's how I learned OOP.

I don't even use Java .. at all, but I sure as hell know what OOP is I'll tell you that.  I even coded in PHP way before I used Java.  I didn't even know what OOP was until I took that Java course at college.

There's also the Microsoft (*gasp* "They're evil!") route.  Their free IDE - Web Developer Express 2008 comes with a built-in SQL server.  C# is a pretty nice language (at least, from what I've experienced so far), and is entirely OOP as well.  It's pretty much Microsoft's answer to Java (even though they're addressing the problem from opposite ends...go figure), and is a very marketable skill to have in my area of the world.

And, since it's apparent that I like parentheses, here are a few more:

(())(())(())(())(())(())

Did you learn that in your Java course?  Does the Java compiler return what ever is returned by the entry point to what ever executed it?  If so, then shouldn't it be int?

(Just being picky...  And curious if Java does that or not.)

Does the Java compiler return what ever is returned by the entry point to what ever executed it?

uh.....what!!  :shrug:  :confused:  :suicide:

that didn't make any gotdamned sense..

that's just the main method...you have to have one...it's like the constructor

Class PooP {
public static void main(String args[]) {
     //I forgot all the java functions
}
}

that's just the main method...you have to have one...it's like the constructor

Yeah, I know.  Traditionally programs return a numeric value to what ever invoked them.  0 is consider success, and anything else is failure.

Does the Java compiler return what ever is returned by the entry point to what ever executed it?

No.

Oh....

*Done thread jacking now :)*

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.