Google Chrome OS

Adam

Im a bit confused with this OS. Are the applications / tools all Google apps that come packaged? Will all the software than can run on this OS come from Google or are companies developing software for it, or is it a linux derivative?

Yes, it's linux based.

Does anyone know if its going to be open source?

Yes, it has been stated by Google, as of this year, it will be open source.

Well, hardware support (driver support? can you spell "I shouldn't be writing this"?) in general is pretty good, especially considered the Linux community really isn't getting that much help from the vendors. But peripherals drivers are another issue. I still don't have a proper 64 bit driver for my Canon MP510 printer. I actually boot up VirtualBox with Win XP when I have to print something (which luckily isn't that often).

Yeah, I rarely print anything either. I actually use the copy function more often. I mean hard copy is so 20th century :P There *are* people that use other peripherals though (scanners?) and support just sucks on Linux. Which for me personally doesn't weigh up to the benefits though.

Anyway, a bit more on topic: http://googleblog.blogspot.com/2009/07/introducing-google-chrome-os.html says it will be OSS. It also make this utterly ludicrous statement though:

And as we did for the Google Chrome browser, we are going back to the basics and completely redesigning the underlying security architecture of the OS so that users don't have to deal with viruses, malware and security updates. It should just work.

No security updates? Remember me to stay well clear..

True. But lets be fair, I'd rather "deal" with security updates (like with Synaptic) than get them forced at inconvenient times as with Vista and to a degree, XP. I understand that what they're trying to say is that it will be automagical. But saying users won't have to deal with security updates is pure fantasy, unless you don't issue them.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.