Video Card Fan Really Loud

corbin

Hi, um, got a question about my GPU fan.

So, the other day, I don't remember what I was doing, but my GPU fan went crazy.  It kinda weirded me out (at first I thought it was my hdd and I was like "Uh oh!"), but it stopped after a few seconds so I just dismissed it as my computer taking drugs.

That was about 2 weeks ago, and these random fan bursts have been growing in frequency, and now today, the fan refuses to stop.  I'm fairly sure the fan is stuck at 100% speed, but I have no idea why.  The temp is 138 F on the card right now, which isn't all that low, but it's definitely not high enough for the fan to be at 100% speed.

I haven't changed the drivers, and I haven't used any tweaking tools, so I'm just curious if anyone can think of a reason why my video card fan would have decided to go crazy.  Earlier today I cleaned some dust off the fan which actually helped a little with the noise (now instead of sounding like something is dying it just sounds like a really fast fan lol), but it's still stuck on full speed.  I've tried changing out drivers and some random stuff, and I managed to slow it down with nTune, but I can't figure out what originally caused it to go crazy.

Any advice would be awesome!

Oh wow....  Didn't realize that I forgot to even say what card haha.

GeForce 8500 GT

And yeah, it's the factory fan on the card.  If it makes a difference:

Driver: 191.07

I noticed something odd.  A few minutes ago, I entirely removed the card (as in uninstalled the drivers and software and everything, not as in physically removed), and when ever I turned my computer back on, the fan was still going full speed.  Like, before it even hit the OS, when it was just the BIOS.

So I'm guessing the problem lies in the actual card, not a driver or something (although I guess maybe the fan always bursts at startup...  Wish I could remember).

I think I'm also going to go post on the nVidia forum (I guess they have a forum lol).

Well depending on the chip & how the heatsink is sitting on the chip, it might be time to reseat it using a better thermal grease. Also check to see if possible something is on the chip, as there might be some dust or dirt on the temp sensor - I've had that happen before. :)

I know my GPUs run pretty hot (dual ATI's 4890) and I run the fans around 30% most of the time, but occasionally they will pop up to 100%.

Well, the fan has always had random pops during games and what not, but now it's like it's stuck on high.  I'll check the card physically tomorrow.  Something on the chip would be possible since it started quite abruptly.  Then again, I don't think the temperature sensor is wrong since Speedfan can detect what seem to be reasonable temperatures.

It's such a coincidence that you're having video card problems with Windows 7.  My GPU fan isn't going crazy or anything like that (if it is I haven't really noticed any sound elevation.  I don't keep the side off my pc or anything and my fans seem to be really quiet in general) but my actual video has been messing with me from time to time.

Ever so often my screen will go on the fritz as if one of my "desktop's stylesheets" just got deleted.  I'll move my mouse and pixels will begin to outline in random squares about the screen.  And almost always create a perfect dotted rectangle directly inside the taskbar.  Always in the same spot.  Normally I would say that the video card was going bad if someone had shown me my computer, but this is just as weird as what you're describing.

My only other guess is that you and/or I've picked up some sort of successful Windows 7 virus.  It was meant to be faulty and expire and start shutting down next year so my best bet is with the OS.

I also forgot to mention that when my screen does go on the fritz like that... it is fixed as soon as I restart again.  I haven't seen it mess up for a week or so now.  (I don't turn my computer off that often..btw)

Hrmm, I used to have weird issues with desktop icons refusing to update if I renamed them or anything, but other than the fan thing, I haven't had any issues in a month or so.  (Also, I usually leave my comp on for weeks at a time.)

Perhaps I'll boot into Vista (eww!) later and see if the card still goes crazy.  If it doesn't, I guess I'll be going back to Vista.  lol.

Personally I'd go back to XP; Vista is crap.

Sometimes when I'm playing a video game, I have to run it as "administrator" else the game can't save (Because it has no write permissions), and crashes. So yeah I agree. I can't count how many times that screwed me over while playing game, only to have to quit the game, and lose all my game progress, then restart it again. :suicide:

And the fact that if you want to do anything it asks you if your sure more times than Chris Tarrant when he's hosting who wants to be a millionaire.

I go to an IT Academy called Zenos and in my class there's a guy called Addy, everyone calls him Vista because he thinks he knows better than the tutors and when they try to help him he asks them if they're sure the answer is right. lol

And the fact that if you want to do anything it asks you if your sure more times than Chris Tarrant when he's hosting who wants to be a millionaire.

I go to an IT Academy called Zenos and in my class there's a guy called Addy, everyone calls him Vista because he thinks he knows better than the tutors and when they try to help him he asks them if they're sure the answer is right. lol

User Access Control is the worse addition to any operating system ever. Its like javascript alerts on a web page. I hope Window's 7 scrapped the idea all together

User Access Control is the worse addition to any operating system ever. Its like javascript alerts on a web page. I hope Window's 7 scrapped the idea all together

Doesn't Linux run as non-admin? I've heared this is why windows is so prone to viruses. Tony Atwood @ codinghorror states this in a few of his blog posts, that windows shouldn't be run as admin. They may of been trying to fix that in Vista, but went horrible wrong. How does linux handle heightened operations that require admin privileges, like installing a program, does it make you enter a password or what? In vista is pops up that annoying access control were all familiar with.( Even though your might be logged in as admin already...)

If you get a lot of UAC prompts in Vista after you're done setting up your stuff either:

a) You're doing something wrong.

b) The applications you use are poorly written or old.

Normal day to day usage shouldn't require superuser privileges. There is no reason why a game should require you to be admin for instance. That the game devs disregarded that is hardly Vista's fault.

If you get a lot of UAC prompts in Vista after you're done setting up your stuff either:

a) You're doing something wrong.

b) The applications you use are poorly written or old.

Normal day to day usage shouldn't require superuser privileges. There is no reason why a game should require you to be admin for instance. That the game devs disregarded that is hardly Vista's fault.

That probably is the reason, the games I'm playing are old classics, that ran on windows 95, like Resident Evil.

Also I meant to say Jeff atwood the programmer, not Tony atwood that guy who helps people with Aspergers. @ my bad.  ::) But most people who are good programmers have Aspergers, so the name mixup is very hilarious by irony. :D

There is no reason why a game should require you to be admin for instance. That the game devs disregarded that is hardly Vista's fault.

Agreed!

Windows provides the Application Data folder for apps to store data!, but games want to write to the program files, that is just bad design with no respect for the OS developers who are attempting to make it secure

I currently have Win7 on my laptop.. (admittedly I don't use it , I thought it would be a nice punishment for my girlfriend) but it does run better (than Vista) theirs been some weird things happening but on a whole its not bad, (again compared to Vista), no real issues with the UAC pop-up!

Oh an about the fan,

have you tried compressed air on the fan as it could be a dust clot,

I know vista has some fan issues with some laptops (can't remember the details) but you may want to check you have the latest ACPI drivers?

in addition No idea if this helps

NVIDIA GeForce 8500 GT Video BIOS Update

Description: NVIDIA GeForce 8500 GT video BIOS update resolves issue with fan noise after performing the graphics driver update.

Enhancements: Resolves issue with fan noise after performing the graphics driver update.

Oh that's odd.  So I guess I should update the BIOS on my computer if an update is available?  (Well on my mobo.)

Also, I have not been to a store with compressed air lately, so I haven't tried that yet, but I do plan to.  I blew out some dust myself earlier, and that helped with the noise a little, so perhaps that is it.  The inside of the case is quite disgusting.

As for Vista:  I think Vista's gotten a much worse wrap than it deserves.  I mean, don't get me wrong; it is a piece of shit, but not as much so as people think.

I'm using Vista Home premium, the only things that annoy me are the

1. user access controls. (Most write permissions troubles all the time. Specially with my USB harddrive)

2. Trouble multi selecting files in folders. By dragging the mouse over multiple files. Often it assume I only want to grab 1 file. >.<

Hmm a lot of people seem to have had a problem selecting multiple files. I never personally ran into that problem. I dislike vista as a whole, but selecting multiple files was exactly the same for me in vista as XP (or at least I saw no difference) maybe its beacuse I use ctrl + click or shift + click and don't drag the mouse

Hmm a lot of people seem to have had a problem selecting multiple files. I never personally ran into that problem. I dislike vista as a whole, but selecting multiple files was exactly the same for me in vista as XP (or at least I saw no difference) maybe its beacuse I use ctrl + click or shift + click and don't drag the mouse

Are you sure that is right? I'm trying CTRL+ Click and its creating copies of the file. xD

Oh in SmartFTP its even more of a hassle, which is something I use a lot becuase I'm always coding and uploading php files and building my website.

Least in a windows folder you can select  parts that are whitespace and drag+select across, no problem. In smartftp, there somtimes is no whitespace, so you have to drag select multiple times and hope that it works.  :facewall:

Same here, I only drag a blue box when there's whitespace to actually start one with.  Even though there's that one little area of "whitespace pixels" sitting there to aim and click for if one so desired, I stick with good ole shift and ctrl.  Also great for shift(cut) and copy(paste) too.

I blew out some dust myself earlier, and that helped with the noise a little, so perhaps that is it.

So your fan is back to normal now? It's not randomly accelerating any more? Was this the solution all along?  Perhaps it was hanging on dust at certain times and eventually pushing it out of the way and sending the fan racing to maximum velocity, only to later on be bombarded with more dust.  I believe this topic is solved.

Oh, no, Zanus, it's still unusually loud, but I believe that once I get some compressed air that it should be back to normal (hoping so anyway).  Thus I guess I will mark it as solved for now ;p.

I mean, don't get me wrong; it is a piece of shit, but not as much so as people think.

You must have used a different version than I did. I had no problems whatsoever.

It just feels clunky to me.  That could of course be my computer though.

I guess really calling it a piece of shit is a little strong, but I do prefer XP or 7 over Vista.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.