PHP Freaks Forums Upgraded

Howdy folks,

We've upgraded the PHP Freaks forums to SMF 1.1.1 (Latest).

There may be a few odd things for a day or two until our site admins can get in there and fix the themes. Please be patient and report any critical problems here.

Regards,

Yeah you can thank those bastards out there who like to set loose their little content downloading programs to try and save ALL of our content to their hard drives. They have no common sense and they do not use any kind of throttling when they do that. This causes the servers to become overloaded and bogged down.

We've moved PHP Freaks to its own server today (as of 5 minutes ago) so hopefully the problems will get better.

[quote author=thorpe link=topic=121678.msg500962#msg500962 date=1168391652]
You might also note that the [SOLVED] mod appears to have dissapeared. At least I (as a mod) can't mark other peoples threads resolved anymore, the button is gone.
[/quote]

Thus the problem of installing mods.

Sorry for not spotting this sticky - too many stickie makes it tricky (blæh.)

I have an issue with very small fonts inside code areas, thread i made this morning with expl: http://www.phpfreaks.com/forums/index.php/topic,121741.0.html

Eric, thanks for the dedicated server (at least, I assume it is dedicated based on your post) for the community! I, for one, have noticed a marked improvement in performance than what I had seen over the last few months.

Thanks for striving to keep the place running smoothly. I offer once again, as so many have: if there is anything more we can do to help you out, please let me know!

[quote author=obsidian link=topic=121678.msg501449#msg501449 date=1168451442]
Eric, thanks for the dedicated server (at least, I assume it is dedicated based on your post) for the community! I, for one, have noticed a marked improvement in performance than what I had seen over the last few months.

Thanks for striving to keep the place running smoothly. I offer once again, as so many have: if there is anything more we can do to help you out, please let me know!
[/quote]

obsidian,

Yes, we put it on a dedicated server all by itself. The site is doing good with the Google Ads and we are able to afford the server allocation for it.

We also plan in the next month or two to purchase a Google Mini for PHP Freaks. Its something we're considering, so it may or may not happen. More info: http://www.google.com/mini

[quote author=phpfreak link=topic=121678.msg501747#msg501747 date=1168472278]
We also plan in the next month or two to purchase a Google Mini for PHP Freaks. [/quote]

Wow. I've seen and heard about them, but never actually had opportunity to use one. Here's hoping that it goes through!

I've used one for one of our clients, its not too bad, but if you look in Google how many documents are stored on this site, its pretty scary. I don't know if even the 100,000 document one would be enough for us: http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=site%3Awww.phpfreaks.com&btnG=Google+Search

At one time, we had over 600,000 pages indexed in google. Ouch...

Eric, thanks once again for all the hard work. I've not noticed any server problems in the last 48 hours, and I was typically getting 2-3 per day before. I'm excited to see the implementation of Google mini, too. I'd read up on that for our university, but they opted out of it for the time being.

[quote author=steelmanronald06 link=topic=121678.msg502300#msg502300 date=1168528946]
I have gotten the headers on the forums updated, upgraded the font size, and put the Return To Main Site back at the top.
[/quote]

Ronald,

The font size is still not as it was (For the [nobbc][code][/nobbc] tags I mean) and in addition to this, you can only edit your posts for a very short while after you've made them, is this going to remain?

[code]See what I mean?[/code]

Regards
Huggie

The font size appears fine to me.  What do you suggest?  Also, the edit time will remain.  There is a lot of reasoning behind this, but the biggest is avoiding confusion within posts.  If you need to change something, make a new post after 2 min.

[quote author=ober link=topic=121678.msg502381#msg502381 date=1168535073]
Also, the edit time will remain.  There is a lot of reasoning behind this, but the biggest is avoiding confusion within posts.[/quote]

I agree this is a good idea, but just wanted confirmation as to if it was staying like this.

As for the font size, it looks good now :)

Regards
Huggie

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.