Time limit on editing posts on this forum

We have established a time limit on editing posts on the PHP Freaks forum. It's currently set to [b]two minutes[/b]. There are a few reasons for this.

1) We want to keep the content that people post. Even if it may no longer be useful to you, it might help somebody in the future. In the past, we would receive requests to delete threads that were no longer of use to the poster, or that made the poster look bad. So, when we denied their request to delete the thread, they would simply edit their post and place a single number or letter to effectively remove the post. This was unacceptable.

2) We would get threads that look like this:

[quote] --- Original Post, from person A ---

Some question, with some information.

Edit: Some more information.[/quote]

[quote] --- Reply #1 from person B ---
A response to the original post.

Edit: I didn't see your edit, so I'm editing mine with updated information.[/quote]

[quote] --- Reply #2 from the original poster ---
A response to Reply #1.

Edit: The edit in Reply #1 wasn't there when I originally replied, so I'm updating my post.[/quote]

And this got to be very messy. With this time limit, users are forced to reply to the thread with their updated information.

Do not ask for this time limit to be removed, changed, or anything else. It's here, and there are no plans to remove it. Thanks for understanding.

[color=red]A few guidelines that are going to be necessary with this change: [/color]

[list]
[*]If your post has typos in it, please don't reply to the thread with an updated version of the post. Typos are minor. If the typo is crucial to the post, feel free to correct the typo in a reply to the thread - but do not re-post the same stuff with minor edits.
[*]The SMF forum that we use will tell you if a reply has been made to the thread while you were typing your response. READ THE NEW RESPONSE(S). It might change your post.
[*]Make use of the Preview Button! It's there to proofread your post before you commit to it!
[/list]

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm assuming that the board is still being tweaked and that you've now decided to remove the edit time altogether, because as of about an hour ago, I can't edit any posts at all, even if I try to edit them immediately.

The [nobbc][code]...[/code][/nobbc] font has also shrunk again.

Regards
Huggie

Ok... I think we've got things sorted out now.  One of the super mods accidentally removed all modify permissions.  That part should be fixed.

As far as the font size, please let me know if that is still an issue, because no one touched that.

[quote author=ober link=topic=122015.msg506041#msg506041 date=1168958292]
As far as the font size, please let me know if that is still an issue, because no one touched that.
[/quote]

Things don't change themselves Ober  ::) lol

Just kidding, it all looks good again now, top stuff, keep up the good work, and where can I get one of these PHPFreaks Recommended status' :)

Regards
Huggie

Still not seeing it? Let me check...

Still green... :( Nope, cleared cache. lol, I know what you mean, I jsut thought it was weird that something green flashed up top, then I loaded up my connection with other tabs and such, and saw "Loading..."

I like that better. Thanks :)

• 3 weeks later...
[quote author=jcombs_31 link=topic=122015.msg525041#msg525041 date=1171028067]
This feature bothers me. I wanted to update some links in an earlier post and I can't.
[/quote]

That's the problem, though. It was implemented to keep people from going back and editing their earlier posts, because it's very easy to throw off the flow of a conversation when someone goes back in and edits something. I'll agree that it could be a bit aggravating at times, but overall, I think it's an improvement to the overall conversation flow.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.