router config

ober

Ok, here's the situation:

Plug network cable into PC, internet works fine.  I put a router in place and I can get main PC and a laptop to talk to each other and share files/printers.

Problem is, neither PC can get to the internet through the router.  One PC is Vista, one is XP.  Like I said, I can make them talk to each other through the router, but neither can get to the internet through the router.... both can get to the internet when directly connected to the line from the main router.  (This router is apparently behind a main router).

Any idea what I'm doing wrong?

The default gateway for the PCs is pointing to the gateway for the local router, yes.

DHCP is enabled and both PCs are picking up valid addresses/gateways from the router... and like I said, they can talk to each other through the router, I just can't get the internet through the router to the PCs.

The Vista PC says that the network is "local only" when I have it all connected, but as soon as I pull the cable from the main router and plug it into the PC, the network switches to "local and internet".

I just can't see what I'm missing.

I did find someone else on the net that said that a second router should have DHCP disabled so it acts as a switch, but I haven't tried that yet.

Can you access the internet using IPs (not names)? In the past I've had to copy the DNS servers from my router's status into my network configuration--maybe this isn't the case for XP. What does the router's status tell you about how it's connecting?

I didn't try using just IPs, but the fact that Vista is reporting that it's a local only network leads me to believe that that wouldn't work.

The router's status says that it has an IP and a subnet and all that.  So it's obviously getting assigned an IP from an upstream device.

I'll assume cable, but I'm not sure what their situation is. 

Story is this... I work for a guy who has a website.  He asked me to come to where he works and setup a small network in an office that he has (small company.. no IT guy).  All he has is an ethernet cable running into the room.  He wants a PC and a laptop to be able to share files and connect to the internet.  The internet connection is very quick, so I'm thinking it's at least cable.

I'm tempted to just take a little switch that I have and see if that will do the trick.

Just as a reference, I run dsl at home.  My DSL modem is also a router with NAT.  From there I have my wireless router that seperates in to a few computers.  I had to put the modem/router supplied by the ISP into Bridge mode, and then set up my router to connect through PPPOE.  Where is his one ethernet cable coming from?  I assume he probably has some business grade DSL and you may have to set the connection in the router via PPPOE, which could be why you are connecting fine locally but not getting out.

Try to run a traceroute to see where the connection stops. If you are 100% sure that it is a specific router that causes the problem, then this isn't going to help at all though. On Windows the command is called tracert whereas it is called traceroute in Linux.

Daniel... do you ever say anything origional?  If I can't ping to a website, how the hell would I run a trace on it?  I swear you're like a human wiki.

roopurt... that's not the issue here... you only do that with the modem, not the router... and if you read the first post, this is a second router in the network.

Thanks for trying guys... but I think I'm going to try disabling the DHCP on the router... if that doesn't work, I'm going to swap it out for a switch.

You might want to try one more thing...

- plug a computer directly into the modem and make sure you can get to the internet.

- View the network details settings (IP address, Default Gateway, etc...) and take a note of DNS 1, 2, and maybe 3.

- Reconnect the router and the 2 PCs to the router.

- See if they are picking up the DNS IPs. If they arent you are going to have to manually configure them to what you wrote down from above

Daniel... do you ever say anything origional?  If I can't ping to a website, how the hell would I run a trace on it?  I swear you're like a human wiki.

You can trace an IP without having a working internet connection... The connection would stall at where the problem is. So would it if you ping, the difference is just that you traceroute tells every router it goes through whereas ping just tells whether the packet made it to its destination or not. But as I said:

If you are 100% sure that it is a specific router that causes the problem, then this isn't going to help at all though.

Besides, what is "say anything original" supposed to mean? Nobody in this topic suggested that.

"plug a computer directly into the modem and make sure you can get to the internet."

Thats always the first step. Make sure you have a firewall on your pc tho, or dont leave it connected at long at all. Just use it to test the connection.

If that works - its a router issue.

Google the make of the router to see if there are any known problems. At the very least you might see a how-to on the admin back end of the router.

If you dont get anywhere, you can try to reset the router.

It is very possible that the router may not be working properly

-steve

How do I put that modem/router into Bridge mode... would that be in the router's internal webserver config page?

You have to first connect directly to it.  Take your router out of the picture.  Connect to the ISP modem/router and open the http config page.  The default will likely be 192.168.1.1 or 192.168.1.254.  Check in one of the advanced pages.  Also check how it is connecting to the ISP. Like I said, if it is DSL, you should need a login for PPPOE.  Once you check these settings, and if you find bridge mode, then connect your router, and your pc.  Again assuming it is DSL, you should be able to enter the PPPOE login info into your router and then check the  status page. If you are getting an IP/DNS from the ISP, then you know the settings are good and your pcs should connect. 

On the PC side, I usually set the router IP as the dns server, because sometimes the DNS will change, but the router should pick it up dynamically

I wanted to thanks everyone for their help.  I ended up switching out the second router for a small switch and it worked immediately.  I did attempt all kinds of configurations with the router before doing that without luck.  Stupid stacked routers.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.