your preference

jcombs_31

When you click an image thumbnail, would you prefer to see the larger image using something like lightbox, or just have the full size image open in a seperate window. 

For some reason, lightbox bothers me, but I see it used everywhere.  I plan to use one method or the other in the current site I'm building, but I'm not sure which would be best.

Opinions please....

Definitely the lightbox - just because its much tidier and modern, opens up much quicker and just keeps things nice and self-contained within the site itself. Popups in traditional sense still require JS anyway, but cause issues with many popup blocks and can be quite slow to open. Their plus point I guess is the amount of code required to get it working is very minimal in comparison.

In either case, I'd use a href with a target="_blank" just for those who have JS turned off.

Out of interest, what are your negatives about the lightbox option?

I'd never seen a lightbox until someone made that post asking what it was called on this board, but I have to say I do like them.

You could always create a "Customize this site" link and give people the option of which method they'd like to use.

Also, Melissa Burnos is quite the hottie.  ;)

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.