IIS to surpass apache in 2008-netcraft

Stopofeger

Just look at the netcraft survey resultshere. IIS is really pushing hard in the last 1 year while apache continuously losing ground. In the august survey, netcraft says IIS may even surpass apache at 2008 in this rate. there is no sign of it slowing down so those peoples who said IIS is dead should look at it one more time. The open source apache is losing its 10 years old dominance. In 2005 it was 71% while IIS 20% a 50% gap. Now apache is 50% and IIS 35% so the gap just 15%. Alarming for php coders, Asp.net is getting really popular these days. also there is almost twice more asp.net jobs than php. The ruby threat is also there. asp.net is not threated by it as both have different set of users. Is it time to learn asp.net?

Ya most of those IIS/ASP ones are just parked domains so the statistics are pretty useless.

Apparently it can't even detect what OS/webserver I'm running. Says unknown.

Doesn't seem very dependable to me.

So ya, you should pretty much take that thing with a grain salt.

Ya most of those IIS/ASP ones are just parked domains so the statistics are pretty useless.

Don't take it so lightly either. netcraft is doing this survey for 12 years and is recognised by the industry. And they make sure which domains are active. They even recognise how many servers a site has. So, not so useless indeed. the truth is IIS is threatning apache quite well. There is another survey conducted by fortune mag that track 1000 top sites. IIS is running 85% of them. So, just brushing it off is not such a good idea. Just think, there was a time when very few hosts provided windows hosting. But now almost all hosts have windows hosting available.

Don't take it so lightly either. netcraft is doing this survey for 12 years and is recognised by the industry. And they make sure which domains are active. They even recognise how many servers a site has. So, not so useless indeed. the truth is IIS is threatning apache quite well. There is another survey conducted by fortune mag that track 1000 top sites. IIS is running 85% of them. So, just brushing it off is not such a good idea. Just think, there was a time when very few hosts provided windows hosting. But now almost all hosts have windows hosting available.

I wasn't saying it's completely useless, just that the STATISTICS section on it is, since most domains are just parked domains, and most parked domains are using IIS.

There are three types of lies: Lies, damned lies, and statistics. (A quote which Americans very commonly misattribute to Mark Twain. Mr. Twain, in fact, quoted Benjamin Disraeli; Mr. Twain was simply responsible for popularizing it in the United States.) There is, without fail, a bias, some extraneous, excluded, or data-skewing variable that will throw the results. In this case, if it's true, the data-skewing variable is that the majority of domains are parked (This, I believe) and that the majority of most parked domains are served by IIS. (This, I have no reason to believe or disbelieve.)

The fact remains that Apache is much more flexible, much cheaper, and extendible than IIS, and it always will be. I do not predict that web hosts will just abandon Apache.

Just look at the netcraft survey resultshere. IIS is really pushing hard in the last 1 year while apache continuously losing ground. In the august survey, netcraft says IIS may even surpass apache at 2008 in this rate. there is no sign of it slowing down so those peoples who said IIS is dead should look at it one more time. The open source apache is losing its 10 years old dominance. In 2005 it was 71% while IIS 20% a 50% gap. Now apache is 50% and IIS 35% so the gap just 15%. Alarming for php coders, Asp.net is getting really popular these days. also there is almost twice more asp.net jobs than php. The ruby threat is also there. asp.net is not threated by it as both have different set of users. Is it time to learn asp.net?

I've been a regular visitor at PHPFREAKS.com and you always bring up these stories. I think the last time it was something to do with php losing its open source right.

- You got to stop wasting your time and looking through those stuff. The truth is Apache has been dominating and will be dominating! And even if isn't hosts will not lose it. Since its cheap and a lot of people will depend it. Anything on the web is slow moving! You think 35 million people will want to learn asp.net because of these stats?

You seriously have to become logical and practical. Common Sense.

I've been a regular visitor at PHPFREAKS.com and you always bring up these stories. I think the last time it was something to do with php losing its open source right.

- You got to stop wasting your time and looking through those stuff. The truth is Apache has been dominating and will be dominating! And even if isn't hosts will not lose it. Since its cheap and a lot of people will depend it. Anything on the web is slow moving! You think 35 million people will want to learn asp.net because of these stats?

You seriously have to become logical and practical. Common Sense.

Me bringing up stories? ??? ??? You must be mistaken. i don't remember posting anything such as php losing open source right and all that. I have probably posted 4-5 topics.

That is what I want to prove. Why do guys like you are so so confident that open source product means always the best and will always rule. Why would apache will "always be dominating". I love apache. I use apache. Just like I use windows. I measure a softwares caliber through what it has, how proffitable it is to me. That is what everyone do. So, PRACTICALLY people will use what is best for them. That is why windows is 90% in the desktop market and also the leader in the server market. Yes, you heard right. Windows is sold more than linux and unix now. There has to be something that makes people buy IIS and windows servers. Even though linus is free.

Than why this pride that linux/apache will always rule the server market. Nobody can be winner a unless they work hard for it. Open source fan seems to don't understand this. They just think, MS software is crap. They will loose in the end. But the result, MS is not only uneffected in desktop market but actually taking out linux in its own turf- the servers.

The purpose of this topic was not to make php programmers switch to IIS, it was to show them that IIS is not something to be ignored anymore. It is as strong as lamp is now a days.

Im sure you program in php because you get money(TheFilmGod), So PRACTICALLY and LOGICALLY learning a new technology that has more twice as more job as php is a viable decision. I wanted people to think about it; to show what the trend is. So that they can't just brush off IIS as once a open source advocate said few years back,"IIS is dead". It was probably unconscious but has risen as has MS in the server market and that also quite well.

"That is why windows is 90% in the desktop market"

ROTF! Windows is so huge because it's what COMES on the computers. Walk into ANY store that sells computers and see how many have something besides Windows. Most consumers don't even KNOW there are other options for PC. They think it's Windows or Mac. The people who DO know and want to put linux on their PC still have to PAY for the computer with Windows if they want most of the pre-built computers. So Windows still gets the sale.

It has nothing to do with what is best for people.

Large companies hire for ASP because they have no idea what they're talking about. Have you ever been interviewed by a high-up who didn't understand the technology? They have a list of requirements they get from god knows where, probably just skimmed from OTHER job ads, and they use technology they were SOLD by a REP. No one is trying to sell Linux to them, but people try to sell them crap. So they use the crap because they don't know about the free stuff or they're told by the crap sales people that the free stuff is really crap or why would it be free?

IIS might be catching ground with Apache simply because the people who run business aren't tech people.  They're business people and they think in terms of loss and profit.  For most of them, using an open-source platform means less documentation and less support in conjunction with higher downtimes and greater losses.  If you have a server with IIS, when you have problems you can call MS support.  Business people need to know they can get support when they need it.  If you owned a business, wouldn't it make you uncomfortable if your entire set of profits were built around technology only a couple individuals in your company understood?  What happens to your company if you suddenly remove them from the picture?  IIS is gaining ground because it provides comfort and ease of mind as much as anything else.

Now, I don't really see what anything on the desktop side has to do with anything in this thread since it's about IIS and Apache, but it was brought up so what the Hell?  I agree whole heartedly with Jesirose in that most consumers don't even know there is an alternative to Windows or Mac.  Most of the ones that do would rather own Windows anyways because that's what most of their friends and family own; basically, they know they can easily share files and get support.

However, I think the Linux community is in part responsible for the lack of Linux presence in the desktop market.  When I first heard about Linux I was very eager to try it out.  I installed it on my PC and very quickly hit a wall with getting my network card to work.  I joined a couple of #linux channels in IRC hoping to get a little help and was promptly met with a lot of RTFMs and channel kicks.  Basically, everyone in those channels had to work hard to get their system to work so everyone else should as well, right?  In that regard, the Linux community is very much like the Mac community.  The users want to be part of this special, elite club of computer users that really understands the technology and concept; this eliminates the need to constantly have to deal with people who don't understand computers.  Well, in both cases, the communities got what they wanted.

If Linux and Mac really wanted to dominate the market, they'd each need to offer what people want most: entertainment.  Video game console manufacturers have been doing this for years:  Offer titles that you can't get on the other consoles.  However, since both Linux and Mac represent such a small part of the market, no for-profit company would release an entertainment product exclusively for either of them; it doesn't make any business sense.

Now, I don't really see what anything on the desktop side has to do with anything in this thread since it's about IIS and Apache, but it was brought up so what the Hell?  I agree whole heartedly with Jesirose in that most consumers don't even know there is an alternative to Windows or Mac.  Most of the ones that do would rather own Windows anyways because that's what most of their friends and family own; basically, they know they can easily share files and get support.

This is indeed a problem. However, with manufacturers like Dell and HP offering Ubuntu GNU/Linux on some of their machines, I think GNU/Linux will start to become more well known. Canonical, Ltd., founded by Mark Shuttleworth, provides millions of dollars worth of commercial support and promotion of free software - primarily Ubuntu GNU/Linux. With this financial backing, Ubuntu is starting to make some serious headway.

However, I think the Linux community is in part responsible for the lack of Linux presence in the desktop market.  When I first heard about Linux I was very eager to try it out.  I installed it on my PC and very quickly hit a wall with getting my network card to work.

This is changing very rapidly. I have yet to find a computer with any hardware that wasn't supported by the Linux kernel. Ubuntu's kernel, by default, comes with support for every device in the kernel built as a module, so you almost never need to do anything to get hardware to work. Video cards are still a problem, although this, too, is changing. ATI (now owned by AMD) has informed the GNU/Linux community of the development of video drivers that will be functionally equivalent to the Windows drivers, and nVidia's drivers have always been excellent.

I joined a couple of #linux channels in IRC hoping to get a little help and was promptly met with a lot of RTFMs and channel kicks.  Basically, everyone in those channels had to work hard to get their system to work so everyone else should as well, right?  In that regard, the Linux community is very much like the Mac community.  The users want to be part of this special, elite club of computer users that really understands the technology and concept.

This, too, is changing. The forums, wikis, and IRC channels for their respective GNU/Linux distributions are becoming more and more useful. I find that I rarely have to ask a question in the #gentoo channel on Freenode, due to the excellent documentation. And while I have gotten my fair share of links to documentation pages that I should have been able to find by myself, I find no problem with that. I got the answer I needed, so I don't really care if I had to look through the docs myself.

If Linux and Mac really wanted to dominate the market, they'd each need to offer what people want most: entertainment.  Video game console manufacturers have been doing this for years:  Offer titles that you can't get on the other consoles.  However, since both Linux and Mac represent such a small part of the market, no for-profit company would release an entertainment product exclusively for either of them; it doesn't make any business sense.

iD Software and Epic Games have been, for years, releasing nearly all of their major titles with GNU/Linux clients, as well as Windows and Mac clients; Unreal Tournament 2004, the Quake series, and the Doom series are all that I know of, but there could be others. I've played UT2004, Quake 4, and Doom III on my Gentoo GNU/Linux machine, and I can honestly say that they performed better in benchmarking than on the same machine with Windows. Yes, they are the extreme minority, but it's still something. I plan to keep supporting iD and Epic for a long time.

@neylitalo, I should have given a time frame for when I originally tried out Linux.  I'd say this was maybe around 1999 or 2000.  While I always liked the idea of Linux, that initial experience put me off of it completely until I had a spare PC to test it on; that didn't happen until virtualization recently became popular.

Playing with it in a virtual environment has given me the ability to learn more about it and become familiar with it without worrying about thrashing my data.  And I agree, a lot of progress has been made in terms of ease of use.  But this might turn out to be one of those too-little-too-late things.  Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying Linux will ever fade away; just that I don't know that it can topple MS in the desktop market any time soon.

As for the entertainment, the key there is exclusiveness.  I applaud any game maker that builds for different platforms; it is very difficult and comes with little reward.  But in order to bring people over to Linux from MS I think it would have to offer something exclusive that you can't get anywhere else.

At the rate the MPAA and RIAA are going though, I don't think it'll be long before DRM is built directly into the Windows and Mac OSes.  At that point, I can envision more people moving over to a platform like Linux where that sort of thing would be (seemingly) more difficult to control.

Large companies hire for ASP because they have no idea what they're talking about. Have you ever been interviewed by a high-up who didn't understand the technology? They have a list of requirements they get from god knows where, probably just skimmed from OTHER job ads, and they use technology they were SOLD by a REP.

Hit the nail on the head

Php is a great language because you can basically do everything server side you need to do

If it works who gives a crap what language its in

However things like AJAX ect, they may things work more effecient so a lot of people are being forced to learn that, including my self!

PHP is indeed a great language. But what is happening to it recently? Most pro programmers of desktop or other enterprise platforms think php is a spagetty language, they have sort of a feeling that it is not classy enough to be used by them.

I kinda find php similar to windows. Both are user friendly, ubiquitous in their turf that os market and server side scripting,both bashed by critics for security and design flaws, take years to adopt new versions and so on.

Is it time to learn asp.net?

So you think it is time to learn asp.net and forget about php just because those stats show IIS is growing a bit?  I can tell you that one reason IIS/asp.net is growing is because non-techs can create nice interfaces without any real in-depth know(as already mentioned).  This does not mean asp.net is any better than PHP however is does not mean the asp.net is not worthless.  If you can't provide something other that "IIS is growing" than i don't see any need to learn asp.net(and last time i check you can run PHP on IIS just fine)

Why do guys like you are so so confident that open source product means always the best and will always rule.
Let's see.

Hmm.

Maybe because it's completely free, anyone can use it on any computer, the source code is public so if there is something about it that isn't perfect that you don't like, you can change it to be exactly how you want it.

The millions of people that use it can all contribute their improvements to it?

There's just to many benefits to list. You'd have to be pretty retarded to think that Apache is going to die just become of some FLAWED statistic on some random website. People just aren't THAT gullible nowadays (at least MOST aren't).

Stop flaming PHP and Apache already, it's getting old. And your stale, repeated arguments are now very boring.

Did you get cyber-molested by a PHP script when you were little or something?

Why do guys like you are so so confident that open source product means always the best and will always rule.
Let's see.

Hmm.

Maybe because it's completely free, anyone can use it on any computer, the source code is public so if there is something about it that isn't perfect that you don't like, you can change it to be exactly how you want it.

The millions of people that use it can all contribute their improvements to it?

There's just to many benefits to list. You'd have to be pretty retarded to think that Apache is going to die just become of some FLAWED statistic on some random website. People just aren't THAT gullible nowadays (at least MOST aren't).

Stop flaming PHP and Apache already, it's getting old. And your stale, repeated arguments are now very boring.

I wonder what is wrong with you guys. I told you I love php and apache. My purpose was not to show that php and apache are dead, It was to show that IIS and asp.net is not something to be ignored, it is getting strong day by day. Thats all.

LOL! HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA!

You are the man AZU!!!

I do have to clarify and emphasize what was said early. The reason the stats are flawed is because many ppl have fast internet connections and choose to host their website on their computer. Of course they use windows, cuz that is what majority ppl use - specifically those cheap enough to host their own websites.

Windows Vista and Xp have both pre-installed IIS package to host a website. Thus the obscure stats. I don't know how a 12 year old website hosted on his computer is frightening you about php.

So just stuff your face with a cherry pie and shut up your pie hole.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.