Windows 7 SKUs...

nrg_alpha

http://blogs.zdnet.com/Bott/?p=659

Here it's reported that for regular people there will only be three ones to choose between.

Edit: The engadget link posted by nrg_alpha also says only three seeing as "Enterprise" is "available only in volume licenses" and that "Home Basic" is "only available in emerging markets" and "Starter" is otherwise not available normally. That leaves home premium, pro, and ultimate left.

Anyway, for anyone interested: http://www.pcworld.com/article/158861/windows_7_to_ship_in_six_different_versions.html

The 3-programs-at-a-time version sounds terrible.

"Windows 7 Ultimate (limited availability, includes everything)"

Wonder why it will have limited availability.  Weird.

And uhhh, I didn't realize the Vista equivalents were anywhere near that expensive.

$320?! did anyone tell them we are in an econmic recession? plus you can buy a new system(no OS) for that much.

as for

your worst nightmare has come to pass
I don't know about that. until recently all Linux distros had like 3 different installers (not counting the ones for each platform) before DVDiso's became large you would have like 5 Cds if they put KDE and Gnome and XFCE so they made different ISOs for each desktop environment.

I don't think it was ever buggy for the most part.

Thinking about it, I would agree. All the problems people had were because no one had drivers for Vista, which would be a problem for any new operating system on a PC.

Although I think even MS has realized that they could have worked much more openly with hardware companies as far as drivers go.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.