Oracle buys Sun - what happens to MySQL

Mchl

I bet Oracle keeps MySQL as they are both functioning great and both can be used for different reasons.

It would be Interesting if they did combine them to be... MyOracle ? :)

Either way I do not think that Oracle would turn MySQL into pay to use, I think it will stay the same, or if they combine they would offer the non-enterprise version for people. At least I hope so, if no I guess we still have MySQL 5. I just fail to see how they could take it away given how many servers run off of MySQL.

Pug, it's not exactly possible to take away something you have on your computer.

They could discontinue support for MySQL free and stop releasing future versions, but they couldn't take it away.  Also, as far as I know, it's not possible to relicense something without rereleasing it, so all old releases would be under the old license (I could be wrong on that).

What was released on GPL license stays that way. This means, that even if Oracle decides to start charging for MySQL, anyone can take current release and basically start their own open source development. Given that several MySQL people have left Sun last year, I think they could be interested in doing it :)

Additionally, a short article was posted over at sitepoint.

Michael Widenius, founder and original developer of the database, has announced that he will hire all core MySQL personnel and fork the project to create an independent and true open source entity. He is prepared to work closely with Oracle to ensure MySQL is actively developed in an open manner with the trust and support of customers, developers, and users.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.