Do you know more passwords or phone numbers?

xylex

I realized today that I've memorized about twice as many passwords as I know phone numbers.  I'm wondering if that's just an IT thing, but with how young kids are getting cell phones and how many online services they use, I'm thinking it may be a more general population thing.

Why do you need to memorize phone numbers? That is what address books are for and contact lists in your cell phone :)

I have not memorized a phone number for a long time...if my cell phone were to crash heaven forbid!  :) (That is why you sync it to your computer as well).

As for passwords, I try not to memorize anyone's password but my own and some basic default ones.

The only phone numbers I know are my own and my business partners. Compared to passwords, I can remember passwords for things that I haven't touched for 10 years, for example my ICQ account - Is that even around any more?!

I know about the same as both, if anything more phone numbers because you never know when your cell phone decides to give out and you don't have internet access ;)

For me, and I think I can speak for most of us, that's about a .01% chance.

I definitely have remembered more phone numbers in my life than passwords.  My friends even consider me a human phonebook.  Well they used to, back when hanging out with friends was cool.  A friend would simply tell me "Zane, remember this phone number" and proceed to blurt it out.  Maybe 3 days later I would vomit that number right back out to them.

Ever since I can remember I've had this uncanny ability to hear or see a sequence of numbers and memorize them...without writing anything down.  social security numbers, phone numbers, keycodes, credit card numbers, etc.. ICQ too.  Although I'm not like rain man where I memorize EVERYTHING I see.  Only what I subconsciously want to.  I can still remember my home phone number from when I was 4 years old.

I know my mothers number, my home phone number, my password, my banking password, my ebay password, my sisters computer password and my sisters password for the DET (Department of Education and Training, it's the password we use to get onto the net at school) Portal. Those two I'm allowed to know

it's the password we use to get onto the net at school

Sounds like a poorly designed system if everybody uses the same password.

No! Ofcourse not! Each student/teacher gets their own username and password. You can't use the DET internet without it. I know mine and my sisters... actually, I'm not so sure I know my own...

abc123 is a lot easier to memorize in my opinion.... and whats all this talk about passwords? people use more than one?!  :wtf:

I assume you're being sarcastic.  Personally, I have different levels of passwords depending on the importance of the account, but I definitely don't create a new password for everything.

I don't even know my own mobile number which I've had for at least 5 years o_O

I do know all my passwords though. I have a set few and use them depending how important the thing that being accessed is.

I tend to keep forgetting my pin number for my bank though, which isn't very helpful!

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.