Facebook scalability notes

Adam

Although I have been developing web apps for the last 10 years I truly wouldnt know where to begin with a system and setup like that. I mean look at the way images have to be handled, storing images sounds easy but when you have to serve millions of them the process becomes immense.

They must have some shit hot developers & techies setting all that up.

Cool vids Salathe , thanks for linking that.

Although I have been developing web apps for the last 10 years I truly wouldnt know where to begin with a system and setup like that.

Scaling sounds scary to me too.

I think you just have to be not afraid to break things, and experiment.

Nothing so spectacular: http://www.businessweek.com/technology/content/mar2009/tc20090326_604141.htm

They just want to lease some servers. Okay, a lot of servers. The rest is pure speculation.

I think the hardware is more expensive then the ads pays, which is the problem with internet right now to provide services like Youtube and Facebook, these sites are actually not profitable I think are just burning VC money. which is not all too surprising, what is surprising for myself I pay $259 a month for my server, but with all the traffic I get Adsense pays me a paltry maby $300. Profit? None at all. Break even at best... Least with adsense, to make any profit, I have to put CPM ads and load the site with Popunders, which will make another $300, OKAY, now I'm making a little money, but I"m also pissing alot people off probably, and making people want to install Adblock further exacerbating the problem.

Barely anyone clicks on the ads. O I have plans in the future if gets any worse to just get rid of the dedicated and put a blank index.html that says, "Sorry out of business becuase you bastards didn't click on my ads enough" LMAO.

Btw this is my traffic since Nov 8 - Today (dec 9) 30 days(picture below), You can understand then what I'm talking about, if I double that and say near 1 million visitors makes me say $1000, imagine what facebook is making, there spending millions but probably making nothing near that on their own ads.  :D

[attachment deleted by admin]

I wouldn't say it's particularly alarming, every company has debt. Quite possible the media's just hyping it up..

Yeah. Facebook will make a ton of money more than likely with targeted advertising. Social networking is the prime place for this. With all the data you post its easy for the system to see what you like, dislike, etc so ads you would be interseted in can be served to you, not just random ads.

Anyway, Google will probably end up buying it for trillions of $ as they do with everything else.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.