Multiple monitor setups?

Philip

How many monitors do you have?  

16 members have voted

1. 1. How many monitors do you have?

• 6+

I have 3 / 5. Technically, there are three hooked up to my dev machine, but I have a further laptop either side with everything running Synergy (one k/b & mouse controlling everything).

[MacBook] [Dev 2] [Dev 1] [Dev 3] [Vista Laptop]

The MacBook is for testing in browsers under OS X, the Vista is for testing in browsers under Windows. Generally, the dev machine is used like so...

[Dev 1] IDE

[Dev 2] Browser

[Dev 3] phpMyAdmin

I'm not sure if you'd count me as 1 or 2. I have a 22" Samsung LCD monitor but my PC is also hooked up to my 42" Plasma (my 50" was delivered this morning, need to get it up on the wall though) as an extended desktop. I generally have it so I can watch videos etc. on the Plasma whilst browsing the web or scripting etc.

At work I have 3 all 3 setup to different computers which I connect to each other using: http://synergy2.sourceforge.net/

[ Monitor 1] [ Monitor 2 ] [ Monitor 3 ]

The 3 different computers allows me to do 3 separate tasks, such as creating images etc. I do not code for my job, so they are not used for coding at all, just viewing different documents / email / setting up images etc, I also use a KVM switch so I can use just that particular computer if I need to. 3 x the processing power is pretty nice, cause I do not get slowed down when I am pushing images to computers or making them etc, which is nice.

How do you guys like using synergy? I haven't had a chance to play with it before, but I wouldn't mind trying it soon

Works great for me, it even shares a clipboard, which is handy sometimes! Although, there is an annoying bug when both a client and server are running Linux (which is rare for me) when you're trying to insert the @ symbol on a client machine, it comes out as an Omega symbol. The bug has been filed, though it's not been given a high priority...

I might actually like that better than 2 monitors, 1 computer. 

It is very nice, watching a movies while playing video games or even messing with videos such as compressing / converting DVDs etc. 2 separate processors / memory etc > 1 :)

I might actually like that better than 2 monitors, 1 computer. 

It is very nice, watching a movies while playing video games or even messing with videos such as compressing / converting DVDs etc. 2 separate processors / memory etc > 1 :)

well my desktop is a quad core with 6gb ram so I'm not really worried about resource consumption. Just a matter of screen real estate.  My main beef with multiple monitors on one computer is that the task bar does not span multiple monitors, so it doesn't really alleviate the pain of switching between the many things in it.  I suppose if I have more screen space I can expand the taskbar to more than one 'line', though. 

My main beef with multiple monitors on one computer is that the task bar does not span multiple monitors, so it doesn't really alleviate the pain of switching between the many things in it.  I suppose if I have more screen space I can expand the taskbar to more than one 'line', though. 

That sounds counter productive, to a degree. Under Gnome, you can create a panel on each screen and add a window list to each of them, therefore having a dedicated "task bar" for each screen - Each one lists the windows that are on their screen.

If this functionality isn't built into Windows, maybe there is a third party application that can handle it?

If this functionality isn't built into Windows, maybe there is a third party application that can handle it?

There is, I used to use it before I setup my 2 computers I think it was called: multimon. The free version works well.

As far as the quadcore, that would be nice :) I am not that "lucky" to have one of them, I just have a Pentium Centrino processor at work (yea cheap bastards) and at home I am not willing to dish out the cash for a new pc (I have had mine since about 2003 and have upgraded). I mean I am still running a 5400 rpm 80GB IDE hdd and I do not have any Sata ports, it is not USB 2.0 (had to buy a pci card for that) and the Video card is AGP 4x.

Maybe one of these days I will want a new pc, but it works just fine for what I use it for (mainly a file/download server) and use my P Centrino laptop to code on. But maybe in the future I will upgrade, so far though it runs as fast as I need it to.

I have a decent gaming computer, But I remember many moons ago I had an old PII w/ an ATI-Rage Pro II video card, a whopping 8MBs of VRAM! I had to add a second card or something to get a second monitor in, Since it was sorta pre-LCD age I had these 400 pound things. It got too crazy so I was glad I picked up an LCD, 19 inches is perfect, I hate too big , and I hate widescreen, The height is more important to me.

19 inches is perfect, I hate too big , and I hate widescreen, The height is more important to me.

I love widescreen and bigger, currently sporting tripple 24" monitors and I love it :) But as far as height, if you really want Height WS is perfect, as you can rotate the monitor (with most video card software) to display the length of the widescreen, it is great for coding, a ton of height!

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.