print & echo

JonnoTheDev

Which do you use  

19 members have voted

1. 1. Which do you use

• print
    • echo

Out of interest I would like to know what the members of this board prefer to use in their php. I do not want posts on the differences between print & echo because I already know all that.

I use 'print' because it does what it says on the tin. It prints something to the screen. Echo is something that happens when you shout in a cave!

I think I can predict that 'echo' will come out on top, but it's interesting to find out why.

Echo, because I like to use comma separated arguments, which also allows the Ternary operator to be used in the statement.

Works as expected -

echo 'some text ', isset($var) ? 'set' : 'not set', ' more text';

Doesn't work as expected -

print 'some text ' . isset($var) ? 'set' : 'not set' . ' more text';

I use echo mostly because it does what it says in the manual, and is less typing (both in terms of number of characters and ability to mash the keyboard and get the right sequence of them) and I like shouting in caves. 

When I started using PHP, I used echo. But lately, I've been using print() for most output. Mostly because I now lean heavily on printf and sprintf, which makes it easier to see what data is being injected into the print string.

yes, good boy! there is no echof() is there! Get your vote on then at the top of the page.

Whether I use print or echo depends on what I want to do (whoohoo for consistency!). I use print() whenever I echo (:)) a single value/variable and echo() when I mix text/ternary-operator with variables using the comma to separate them instead of the dot (I type on azerty , is easier then . to write)

I demand a new option in the poll: both :)

I use both too, but I wrap them in a function and pass in constants I define at the top of every page to tell it which to use:

define('PRINTORECHO_PRINT', 'print');
define('PRINTORECHO_ECHO', 'echo');

function printOrEcho($str, $func)
{
    // can't be too careful 
    if ($func == 'print' || $func == 'echo')
    {
        call_user_func($func, $str);
    }
}

printOrEcho('Hello', PRINTORECHO_PRINT);

It's a little more code, but I like to type. You guys can use it if you want..?

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.