hobeau
  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • Advanced Member
  • 62 posts
  • LocationVA

Posted 20 January 2009 - 12:39 PM

Hey guys, I thought I'd participate.  ;D

I'm Beau Brownlee, 26, married, and I live in the Washington DC area. I have been a javascript/XHTML/PHP/MySQL guy for awhile but also have done alot of development with other languages such as VB6 (back in the day), C#/Microsoft SQL, Python and some C++ (classic ASP if I have to admit it).

My passion is building out load balanced distributed web applications instead of just single server solutions. I like working on large web apps and discovering new ways of distributing work between multiple languages (rock on json RPC!!!!).
Everything should be as simple as possible,, but not one bit simpler.

#242 killah

killah
  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • Advanced Member
  • 234 posts

Posted 21 January 2009 - 09:14 PM

I am quite new here but not new to php.

I am 16 turning 17 this year. I am mature and not like other's. I go to school got a part time job got a girl friend and still manage to do online game's.

Some of you might have seen some of my php work. I am very proud of my self. My programming / coding is just a hobby and some pocket money for the week end's :).

I have 4 years experiance in html, css, php. 1 year in javascript and still learning. half a year in ajax and still learning.

I would like to learn perl, c/c++, c#, python.

With that im sorted.

I know 3 language's. Spanish, english, afrikaanse. Afrikaanse is the language we use here in south africa. You might wonder why i know spanish that's because i lived in mexico 4 year's and i got into the gaming there.

I own couple website's and one gaming engine of my own.

If you would like to get in contact. My msn is killah-city@hotmail.com.

www.killah-city.net used to be a fellow website of mine till i sold it. So that is why my email start's with killah-city.

And that's about all i can say about my self for now.

#243 Maq

Maq
  • Administrators
  • Advanced Member
  • 9,410 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania, USA

Posted 21 January 2009 - 09:17 PM

Welcome!

killah-city looks like an interesting game, I'm going to check it out after work.
tjmothy
ini_set ("display_errors", "1");
error_reporting(E_ALL);

#244 Jaster

Jaster
  • New Members (no posts)
  • Pip
  • 0 posts
  • LocationHarriston, Ontario

Posted 03 February 2009 - 09:30 PM

I'm new here (I found this site because I have a Computer Programming class in school and I need extra help) And I'm looking to have fun and learn alot about Computer Programming, because I want to be a Computer Programming. If this topic doesn't go here I'm sorry because I'll need some navigation as to what topics can go where and to get some extra help in programming. (Just to let you guys/girls know my class only uses PHP)
So thanks to anyone who helps.

P.S My name is Dylan, I'm 16 and I love WoW...

#245 Maq

Maq
  • Administrators
  • Advanced Member
  • 9,410 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania, USA

Posted 03 February 2009 - 09:52 PM

Welcome!

If this topic doesn't go here I'm sorry

Should go here: http://www.phpfreaks...112560.240.html but we'll get a mod to move it for you so don't worry about it.
tjmothy
ini_set ("display_errors", "1");
error_reporting(E_ALL);

#246 Daniel0

Daniel0
  • Staff Alumni
  • Advanced Member
  • 11,956 posts

Posted 03 February 2009 - 09:57 PM

If this topic doesn't go here I'm sorry

Should go here: http://www.phpfreaks...112560.240.html but we'll get a mod to move it for you so don't worry about it.

I've merged the topic into this topic.

Oh, and welcome :)

#247 ratcateme

ratcateme
  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • Advanced Member
  • 1,216 posts
  • LocationAuckland, New Zealand

Posted 07 February 2009 - 10:11 AM

well i have been around here for a while now "10 days, 19 hours and 3 minutes" to be exact but i guess you guys dont know much about me
i'm 17 living in New Zealand i can write html/javascript but the design lets just say isn't my strong point (my last and only designed site was lime green and looks horrid really after a 6 weeks changing the design lol. i was also the only person in my year to fail art when i was 13 and i don't think i have gained any more skills lol) but my PHP/MYSQL are my strong points.
i have recently started learning Java and Java GUI's through Netbeans.
i am the head coder for my schools First Robotics team (first year New Zealand has competed) so i am slowly learning c for some Vex robots and will be learning how to use labView in a few weeks when we start or FRC robot.
i am also taking a CCNA course at High school and entering a competition for all CCNA students in New Zealand who go on to compete ageist Asia and Australia.
i also play Under Water Hockey for everyone who reads this and thinks i am a total sit in front of the PC nerd
and i would like to thank all the admins and fellow members who make the forums great  :) i have learnt so much here and would like to say you all do a great job in keeping this place running

Scott.

#248 kaimason1

kaimason1
  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • Advanced Member
  • 54 posts
  • LocationUSA... really wish it would be UK though...

Posted 07 February 2009 - 10:37 PM

Hi. I am a thirteen year old w/ no life who is learning PHP for a project. I did a little BASIC programming in fourth grade and I tried to learn C++ when I was in fifth. Didn't turn out too well. I might start that up again after I'm done with this PHP project... then again, might stay the course. I want to become a physicist at CERN when I grow up, and I am good with photoshoping images.

#249 nadeemshafi9

nadeemshafi9
  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • Advanced Member
  • 1,245 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 09 February 2009 - 11:29 AM

Hi. I am a thirteen year old w/ no life who is learning PHP for a project. I did a little BASIC programming in fourth grade and I tried to learn C++ when I was in fifth. Didn't turn out too well. I might start that up again after I'm done with this PHP project... then again, might stay the course. I want to become a physicist at CERN when I grow up, and I am good with photoshoping images.

i tried learning programming when i was 13 aswell and it didnt go well i also used BASIC the language if that's what you mean, dont worry as long as you have a taste for it, when there is somone to teach you how to program you will pick it up easily just like anything else in the world once you are taght how to do somthing using a combination of methods that they use in universities you will know how to do it. In schools they dont use these teaching methods rather they expect you to memorise, university is different you are expected to understand underlying theories and constructs.

Dont worry you will learn when your taught, you cant expect to do a few tutorials and know it all, someone with a proper teaching plan will get the knowledge into you, at university, you prob have to go college first.

DONT LAY AN EGG OVER IT

#250 .josh

.josh
  • Staff Alumni
  • .josh
  • 14,871 posts

Posted 09 February 2009 - 04:49 PM

really? my personal and from-hearing experience with 'higher education' is that they just give you a list of all the homework/papers you need to turn in, tell you what books to buy, and then it's up to you to make sense of everything.  Professor rarely around and if he is, he's reading from something or other.  May as well be on TV or radio and they actually do do that a lot... One on one help? Go find a study group of people in the same boat as you, trying to figure it out.  Motto seems to be that you may learn the material, but you won't learn to think for yourself when someone else is holding your hand explaining it to you. 

But...it's possible I've just been to and heard about crappy colleges.
Did I help you? Feeling generous? Buy me lunch! 
Please, take the time and do some research and find out how much it would have cost you to get your help from a decent paid-for source. A "roll-of-the-dice" freelancer will charge you $5-$15/hr. A decent entry level freelancer will charge you around $15-30/hr. A professional will charge you anywhere from $50-$100/hr. An agency will charge anywhere from $100-$250/hr. Think about all this when soliciting for help here. Think about how much money you are making from the work you are asking for help on. No, we do not expect you to pay for the help given here, but donating a few bucks is a fraction of the cost of what you would have paid, shows your appreciation, helps motivate people to keep offering help without the pricetag, and helps make this a higher quality free-help community :)

#251 Daniel0

Daniel0
  • Staff Alumni
  • Advanced Member
  • 11,956 posts

Posted 09 February 2009 - 04:56 PM

I think the quality of higher education differs from institution to institution. I'd expect that if I pay a butt load of money to attend e.g. MIT that I would get quality teaching from professors who care and know what they talk about.

#252 akitchin

akitchin
  • Staff Alumni
  • Advanced Member
  • 2,516 posts
  • LocationCalgary, AB, Canada

Posted 09 February 2009 - 09:46 PM

I think the quality of higher education differs from institution to institution. I'd expect that if I pay a butt load of money to attend e.g. MIT that I would get quality teaching from professors who care and know what they talk about.

agreed, and i would imagine it certainly changes from program to program. once i got into the upper years of my program, i thoroughly enjoyed the instruction quality, since most of my profs were teaching what they love and what they know a great deal about. and as for one-on-one, i don't think i ever approached a prof who was unwilling to answer my questions.

#253 nadeemshafi9

nadeemshafi9
  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • Advanced Member
  • 1,245 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 10 February 2009 - 09:49 AM

really? my personal and from-hearing experience with 'higher education' is that they just give you a list of all the homework/papers you need to turn in, tell you what books to buy, and then it's up to you to make sense of everything.  Professor rarely around and if he is, he's reading from something or other.  May as well be on TV or radio and they actually do do that a lot... One on one help? Go find a study group of people in the same boat as you, trying to figure it out.  Motto seems to be that you may learn the material, but you won't learn to think for yourself when someone else is holding your hand explaining it to you. 

you need to go to lectures, where u sit and listen, professors may not be around in seminars or classes where they task you to it and leave you alone, but in lectures u sit there and absorb .
DONT LAY AN EGG OVER IT

#254 Jaster

Jaster
  • New Members (no posts)
  • Pip
  • 0 posts
  • LocationHarriston, Ontario

Posted 13 February 2009 - 12:00 AM

Thanks for all the welcomes. You guys/girls seem like quite the characters and I'd love to get to know all of you. In my Computer Programming class we did some simple codes with variables (It was simple) and I forget what my teacher said we were doing tomorrow. But I'll try and stay intouch with the forums more often (WoW is too addicting <.<;) and I once again thank all of you for welcoming me. 

#255 corbin

corbin
  • Staff Alumni
  • Advanced Member
  • 8,129 posts

Posted 13 February 2009 - 12:10 AM

you need to go to lectures, where u sit and listen, professors may not be around in seminars or classes where they task you to it and leave you alone, but in lectures u sit there and absorb .

My sister goes to a university with about 20k students, and it depends on the teacher according to her.  Some of her teachers don't care if students come to class, and they just expect people to show up for tests.  Others expect everyone to be there everyday and dock grades based on absences.  I do think that they teach though.  I think they just don't care if people show up.

I wouldn't be surprised if some professors barely teach though.  A lot of times, professors view teaching as a pain and just want to do research.
Why doesn't anyone ever say hi, hey, or whad up world?

#256 Lukeidiot

Lukeidiot
  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • Advanced Member
  • 186 posts
  • LocationNew York

Posted 13 February 2009 - 05:33 AM

@obsidian - there's a strong link between people who have an interest in music (performance rather than listening) and maths/logic, which is generally what alot of programming/coding revolves around. also the fact that both are creative and involve serious concentration means they both have similar appeal. i read all that somewhere a while back.

also yeah i'm amazed by the amount of offspring us lot have collectively too. blowing the myth of "bedroom geeks" out the water  ;D

When I first was casually reading this, I'm thinking to myself.. strong link with music, and programming? Then it hit me. He is right.
A day doesn't go by that I am not drumming with my hands (and the beat is rhythmic too!) I guess it's just i'm 'programmed' to be a 'programmer' haha.

Now a little bit about me as a fellow coder.
I started off buying a domain (http://lukeidiot.com) and just putting a basic design (html) with a plain white background and with a little sentence about me, and what I had plan for the next day. I eventually ended up messing around with visual basic, make a few applications for myself and such, then I got to playing around with databases and connecting them to access and all that good stuff.
Then some how I found out about good ole PHP. It was a lot easier to use and manage databases with, and that's problably why I have stuck to PHP.

I'm currently trying to figure out what programming I should pursue for my career, as I really love programming, and think it will be a good career choice for me. That's just a little piece about me, thanks for reading haha ?>

'

Languages: PHP / MySQL

#257 RichardRotterdam

RichardRotterdam
  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • Advanced Member
  • 1,511 posts
  • LocationThe Netherlands

Posted 14 February 2009 - 02:02 PM

Hi,

I've been on this forum for quite a while now and never really bothered messaging in this topic, so I thought to myself why the hell not.

So here are my details. I'm Richard and I live in Rotterdam in the Netherlands.  At the time of this post I'm 28 years old.

A couple of years ago I started with HTML and some ASP classic which I learned at school. ASP classic isn't that popular as it used to be here in the Netherlands it's mostly done in .NET these days. After ASP I started to get more into OOP, PHP and Java and Javascript. Ever since I've been addicted to pretty much everything that evolves programming.

When I am not programming, browsing the web or drinking beer with friends I like playing guitar and piano.  On my guitar I usually play metal or rock and on my piano I play either classic or movie soundtracks.

My fav bands are: Tool, Pantera, a Perfect Circle (yes I know Maynard is better in Tool) and Apocalypica.

Catch you all on the forum guys,

Richard

#258 andrewsCWD

andrewsCWD
  • New Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 20 February 2009 - 07:29 AM

I'm Andrew. I'm 25. I have just started my first php with mySQL college class, about 5 weeks into it now.

Well, I live in Joshua Tree California. It's very hot here in the summer. The heat is so high here that the area almost always catches on fire during the summer. We always get fire smoke. About 2 years ago these wild fires were so close that we could actually see the flames that were dancing in the shadows off the top of a nearby mountain that is in our backyard. Quite scary.

I joined this forum as a place to talk about php throughout my college course and future programming as well as communicate with others who share similar interests. I am a new web and graphic designer. I have only focused on front end design. So far learning what php can do sounds amazing, I can't wait until I can code my own scripts.

I'm a very big music lover. I will listen to pretty much anything that sounds good. My favorite band is Tool. I also listen to Soilwork, Killswitch Engage, Tupac, Outcast, Nickleback, Avant, Nirvana, Flyleaf, Aaliyah and many others on a daily basis. Life would be horrible without music!

Nice to meet you all.

Andrew

#259 phant0m

phant0m
  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • Advanced Member
  • 164 posts
  • LocationCH

Posted 02 March 2009 - 11:29 PM

Hello there...

My name's Christian and I'm 17 years old. I think I started programming when I was like 11 years old(Turbo Pascal). Later I moved on to Delphi. Around the same time, I started creating Homepages with WYSIWYG editors, then I moved on to HTML/CSS/JS. After a while I discovered PHP, which fascinated me. I think I've been doing PHP for about 4 or 5 years now.
I also know some C(++), Python, Assembly and ActionScript

I live in Switzerland.

cya
Christian

#260 elflacodepr

elflacodepr
  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • Advanced Member
  • 68 posts

Posted 25 March 2009 - 08:40 PM

Well well, speaking about PHP and MySQL is not the only thing to do here so here I go.

I'm 21/single from Puerto Rico, I'm a hobbie/week-end coder. I love Databases! They are so easy to learn and work but yeah the process is long, but still like it.

I firstly started coding HTML, then I knew about CSS and Javascript(which I didn't liked), after a couple time I retired from coding, then I heard about PHP and Databases (MySQL) I was fascinated how things work and what I can do with them, so I bought few books, read tutorials, downloaded scripts and so on...and here I am for 1 year now, trying to do my best to know more and help others with what I know ;)

My interests are to learn ASP and Python, which I'd like learn after I get good skills in PHP and MySQL.  :P

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users