Simulation type game, what is it?

Jessica

Have you ever seen a type of game where you do things like configure a world, and then hit play and it grows/dies based on where you put stuff? Maybe an example is you can put creatures on the ground and they start to eat the plants, reproduce, etc, and it goes until they either die out or achieve some equilibrium?

I know that is really vague. I've played a few games like this but can't think of the name. On some of them there is a "right" configuration that lets you win the game.

Anyway what would you call that sort of game? Besides just a simulation.

Bonus points (in the form of cupcakes), if you can list some games like this.

Not like Sim City, the zero player game idea is more like what I mean. The link in there to Conway's game of life is exactly what I'm talking about.

I know of one where you had something with buildings and animals, on a round planet.

Games like SimCity are along that line, but require continued interaction and as far as I know, there's no way to win, per se.

Are the Sim City (Farm/Roller Coaster/Etc) type games just called "Simulation" or is there a more specific genre?

are you looking for a specific game you once played, or just more games like that? If you are looking for a specific game, can you provide more details about what you remember about it?  If you are looking for more games like that, "zero-player games" is what you are looking for, and alternatively, a lot of simulation games offer various modes/settings to effectively do the same thing.

Josh, both :) I'm trying to find one I played once which definitely had a "correct" configuration. I also was looking for more games like that.

It was very graphical, not just dots in a grid. It had a round planet (just a circle, not 3-d), and it had things like a tree, and buildings. You would click on the certain areas and make them grow or shrink, and then hit play. the world would then come to life, and if you configured everything just right you got all the maximum growth in each area.

I know it's a long shot, I figured if I could just get the genre of the game I could search for lists of games like that and maybe find it. I am 90% sure it was on the web, not a game system like playstation.

now hold up here, *I* call shenanigans.  "sims" games aren't technically what jesi was looking for, "zero player" games ARE, and I pointed that out first.  It just so happens that some sim games offer settings that can (sometimes) act/behave like "zero player" games. 

"But you didn't actually give game examples!" you say?  Technically true.  HOWEVER, I *was* going to specifically mention the game of life, but since it is listed right there at the beginning of the link I gave, I opted not to post it here, since she would quickly see it soon enough anyways. 

So I TAKE your cupcake and I EAT it.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.