linking your pages

jcombs_31

i never use the URL in my hyperlinks unless it's linking externally. It has been known for me to change domain names for a project and I'm not a fan of either using php to insert the domain (i tend to keep my HTML pages as HTML as possible) or search+replace+re-upload in the event of me changing the domain name (or going from a testing server to a proper one)

I dislike syntax such as ./somewhere/test.php or ../somewhereelse/test2.php so I always start my links off with a / so they're all relative to the web root.

I keep my dynamic. There are times when I need to get links that are controlled by cpanel to work on their directory and not the root.  Sounds confusing, but here is what i do:

<?php

$path = "..";

$link = $path . '/index.php';

echo $link;

require_once($path . 'includes/master.php');

unset($path);

?>

stuff like that :-/

I like creating things dynamic. That's why I use relative paths. And even if I need to use a full address (like in an email for confirming a registration or something like that) I do things like this:

<?php

$url = "http://".$_SERVER['SERVER_NAME'].dirname($_SERVER['PHP_SELF'])."/activation.php";

?>

This makes things dynamic as possible.

Orio.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.