dHTML or Pure CSS?

SharkBait

I am looking for advice on how I should look at doing drop down menus for a website.

dHTML would be ok because at least I can make the javascript easier cross-plateform except I have troubles with getting the menus in the right spots when you 'onmouseover'

Pure CSS drop down menus would be nice but then I would have to worry about cross-platform issues like IE6 doesn't like the 'hover' attribute li tags (think that was the reason for the 'hack').

Anyway what can people suggest? (without 3rd party script) Looking mainly for tutorials or something I can play with and see what I can create. For some reason looking up 'dhtml horizontal menu tutorial' on google doesn't exactly show me what I want lol!

I can do drop down menus with javascript but they 'expand' the menu and not 'popup' a seperate <div> over top (so things don't get shifted around etc).

Thanks!

for more tutorials about this sort of thing, and to generally point out exactly how many "You HAVE to use JS for that!" things can be done in pure CSS, take a look here: http://www.cssplay.co.uk/menus.

Javascript is far from being in the past - it's one of the most useful elements in a modern, interactive site, used for all sorts of effects, drag and drop, AJAX, etc.

There is no excuse for using Javascript as presentation. That was the stone age. Time to move on to CSS :)

I will not totally agree with that. CSS and html is like dumb beauty with no logic capabilities. Loads of "BIG" sites still use JS for presentation in some way. So we still live in the  "stone age".

Only stupid sites like microsoft still use javascript/activex for presentation. If a site won't even display right without javascript, it shouldn't even exist.

Gmail, Google Docs, Google Calendar etc. require Javascript...

Well, Gmail does have a HTML only version, but it's not nearly as good.

Only stupid sites like microsoft still use javascript/activex for presentation. If a site won't even display right without javascript, it shouldn't even exist.

Which sites are stupid in your opinion?

Loads of big sites still use JS and many of us still consider flash sites cool which is worse than even JS. CSS is not yet the all solving guru. It can never be without in-built logic which unfortunately only IE supports. So much for worse browser.

Gmail, Google Docs, Google Calendar etc. require Javascript...

Well, Gmail does have a HTML only version, but it's not nearly as good.

I understand that Ajax is completely javascript driven and there's no way around that.

I'm talking about using it for presentation and links and stuff so that you can't even navigate the site without javascript, when CSS or plain HTML would have worked fine.

If you are comparing css and javascript for simple things like rollovers, fine, you have a point, but I highly doubt anyone is still using javascript for rollovers.  I fail to see anywhere else that you can be making the comparison of js and css.  That's like saying php is better than html.

What can HTML do that a programming language can't do?

Apples and oranges. It's like asking "What can a pencil do that an airplane can't?" HTML is not even remotely related to a programming language. It's simply a markup language, a pre-defined set of tags and attributes that our web browsers can read, and show us pretty pictures, colors, and words. All it's used for is formatting the information that you want to show.

But if you really want your question answered, though, HTML can, for example, output italicized text. I'd like to see you make PHP do that.

Okay. Well I'm sure you can generate italic text with the GD library. Not sure exactly how, as I've never used it before, but I'm sure it can be done.

PHP should be able to detect what OS it's running on, and then open the picture of the text it made in an image viewer.

Okay. Well I'm sure you can generate italic text with the GD library. Not sure exactly how, as I've never used it before, but I'm sure it can be done.

PHP should be able to detect what OS it's running on, and then open the picture of the text it made in an image viewer.

I suppose that it technically wouldn't be text then. It's just a number of e.g. black pixels on a white background arranged so you can read it as text. PHP cannot format text. That is just not what it is designed to do.

I'm sorry but don't browsers ALSO "format" text as "black pixels on a white background"? How else would it be done? (besides using different colors, obviously) o_O

In fact, I think that kind of describes ALL visual output from computers..

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.