how do u pronounce mysql?

mybluehair

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To add some pointless comment, I get really annoyed with people trying pronounce abbreviations as if they where words, like mysequal or gewey.

I blame the Americans!  Or residents of the youassee if you will... LOL :P

It's a heck of a lot better than spelling out every letter, though. Can you imagine trying to spell every letter of W-Y-S-I-W-Y-G every time it was used? If that's your idea of a good time, more power to you ;)

wizzywig???

I hope you're kidding.

You not heard of that before? I've heard it said like that loads of times...

I bet you say "laser" though, did you know that was an acronym? It stands for Light Amplification by Stimulated Emission of Radiation.

WYSIWYG - wizzywig.

And regarding PostgreSQL: I just say "Postgres". It's appropriate, too, since the name is derived from "post-ingres", where ingres was the dominant storage mechanism in use at the time of PostgreSQL's inception.

Definitely. That's how I typically call it, too, but I have worked with some people who don't seem to recognize the term without the SQL tacked on for some strange reason... :P

I bet you say "laser" though, did you know that was an acronym? It stands for Light Amplification by Stimulated Emission of Radiation.

...and radar (Radio Detection and Ranging), aids too (Acquired Immune Deficiency Syndrome).

Haha! Now, this is getting fun...

DOS - Disk Operating System

NATO - North American Treaty Organization

What is very interesting to me is that the "nomenclature" section of acronyms in wikipedia cites that an "acronym" is actually an abbreviation that is pronounced like a word. ;)

WYSIWYG - wizzywig.

And regarding PostgreSQL: I just say "Postgres". It's appropriate, too, since the name is derived from "post-ingres", where ingres was the dominant storage mechanism in use at the time of PostgreSQL's inception.

Why-ih-sig

Post-ger-sickel

personally i think it should be down to the person who invents these things.

if MySQL say its "My S Q L", then that's good for me.

if the powers that be name a particular technologyset the same as a particular brand of toilet cleaner, then fine. i'll use that too.

wizzywig is kind of understandable, as it's far too long any other way. I was too young (if not born?) when that one was coined, so can't say whether it was or wasn't the "coiners" that decided on the short, common word.

Hardly the same as inserting vowels to make something pronounceable.

DOS - Disk Operating System

NATO - North American Treaty Organization

No dice. Like 'laser', these are pronounced like you spell them.

Bottom line: sequel, gewey, wizzywig etc. are silly, or dare I say: wrong. I can't help but imagine a small team starting to use such a word as a joke, laughing their collective asses off seeing the term take off.

Another thing I hate is when people say "raute" when they mean "route". Rauter, traceraute, raute 66? Come on... Go wash your mouth.

Bottom line: sequel, gewey, wizzywig etc. are silly, or dare I say: wrong.

What's funny is that, by following English grammar rules (with the obvious accepted exceptions), "wizzy-wig" falls into your "no dice" list above, too. There are no vowel additions or anything to get that to come out.

Bottom line: sequel, gewey, wizzywig etc. are silly, or dare I say: wrong.

What's funny is that, by following English grammar rules (with the obvious accepted exceptions), "wizzy-wig" falls into your "no dice" list above, too. There are no vowel additions or anything to get that to come out.

It's still mispronounced, unless you would like to argue that S and Z, as well as Y and I are pronounced the same. Pronounced correctly, one would have to say wysiwyg. That would sound nowhere near "wizzywig". Ok, it's close (and sounds almost as silly, probably), but clearly different.

It's still mispronounced, unless you would like to argue that S and Z, as well as Y and I are pronounced the same. Pronounced correctly, one would have to say wysiwyg. That would sound nowhere near "wizzywig". Ok, it's close (and sounds almost as silly, probably), but clearly different.

Actually, it is quite common to find "s" pronounced like a "z" (including your afore mentioned acceptable "laser" acronym). Also, Y is used as a vowel, pronounced as an I in English pronunciations. Thus the basic grammar listing of vowels is "A, E, I, O, U and sometimes Y."

'Y' is often pronounced as if it were an 'i'.

Alligator : all-ee-gey-tor

Berry : bear-ee

How many of you use a strict 's' sound when saying 'cherries'?  I bet most people it comes out as 'cherriez'.

So to say that WYSIWYG is not pronounced how it is spelled to me is somewhat silly.

In either case, anyone who complains about any part of this either:

A) Just likes to complain

B) Is fortunate enough in life to not have anything real to complain about

:D

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.