How fast can you type?

The Little Guy

You guys are really fast - any of you using a keyboard layout other than QWERTY, perhaps? I started using Dvorak about two weeks ago, so I'm still getting up to speed - only 45 wpm for me.

I've previously considered using a dvorak keyboard, but there a couple of reason why I don't. 1) I'm afraid that once I've gotten used to the dvorak layout I'll have trouble writing on standard QWERTY layouts and 2) I can't be bothered to find out how to replace the keyboard on my laptop and where to purchase a new one.

*sigh* i got annoyed with it keep stopping me on the second attempt and gave up. first attempt was 65 wpm with about 5 mistakes.

thing is, when i'm typing normally, i make tonnes of mistakes but i almost instinctively know when i've done it immediately, so automatically press backspace and correct myself without even thinking. makes things tricky when it just stops you in your tracks til you type the right letter without letting you backspace...

i spose it also makes it tricky when 99% of my typing is coding so i'm used to certain keywords and symbols rather than proper English paragraphs. Most of my regular English is courtesy of pen and paper :)

oh well.

I consistently hit ~100 WPM on every test I take and that's with fixing my mistakes.  Although I don't have to do it often, I can telegraph (correct word?) text from a book onto the computer and remain that fast for several pages before I need a small break.

The 117 I received earlier was on my laptop, I'd probably hit around the same on my desktop keyboard though.

On a related note my grandmother worked for the local school district as a secretary; I can't remember the exact figure but I think she typed around 120 to 140 WPM.  Then she'd turn around and tell you she couldn't butter her toast.

You guys are really fast - any of you using a keyboard layout other than QWERTY, perhaps? I started using Dvorak about two weeks ago, so I'm still getting up to speed - only 45 wpm for me.

congrats neyl lol I got 30wpm  I hate keyboard  ???

I can't sight type like that worth a shit. I can only type if I know what I am going to be typing (i.e -- It's in my head.) I hit 96WPM but I felt very inferior to my normal typing speed. I also made 10 mistakes. Which is really abnormal.

Oh well. :P

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.