Windows 7

The Little Guy

How can I be sure that a third-party won't suddenly lose my file? If the files stay with me then I have total control over them.

How can you be sure that you won't lose your file on your own HD?  I'm sure you're more sure than the average Joe, but you aren't bulletproof.  I think the reason you guys' mind on this matter is so "cloudy" (aHAHAHahAHAHHAa...erm) is because you're trying to argue/reason/logic with it as it applies to you personally, and not from a people in general perspective.  [Most] Businesses have are a lot more disciplined about uptime and backup and security than the average Joe user, by a wide margin. 

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not saying cloud computing is bad. I'm just saying I'd rather prefer to have my own workstation instead of just a terminal. Another example, how would you do computer games? You wouldn't have enough resources to do that.

I was just about to bring up gaming.

Although thin clients most likely will become popular for basic computing tasks, I very much doubt they will replace the workstation.

Impossible or impractical on the cloud:

• Video editing
  • Full HD media streaming
  • Heavy image editing
  • "Next-Gen" Gaming
  • 3D Rendering
  • Audio production
  • GIS

I'm sure there is tonnes more. Plus we don't have anywhere near the amount of bandwidth available, neither is the network infrastructure being invested in enough by far.

I'm not saying cloud computing is bad. I'm just saying I'd rather prefer to have my own workstation instead of just a terminal. Another example, how would you do computer games? You wouldn't have enough resources to do that.

I guess it depends on what computer games you're talking about.  But even looking at top of the line resource devouring games....

What we've been talking about here is a shift in technology application policies and principles. But what technology is physically capable of doing has been evolving at an exponential rate every year since forever ago.  That's a whole different timeline, moving along way faster than how long it will actually take to cut through the politics and propaganda and implement cloud computing. 

For example, I play World of Warcraft (It has its moments, but I'm not one of those diehard fanboys everybody likes to stereotype all WoW players as).  Even by today's standards, I have way more processing power and memory than I really need to play the game (64 bit 2.6ghz quadcore 6gb ram).  A good chunk of those "Minimum system requirements" on the back of the box is padding because game programmers know that other things (the OS at the very least) will be running on your computer at the same time as the game.  If they told you their game only takes 500mb of Ram, people will happily try to play their game on computers that only have 500mb or Ram, and that's not going to be possible, because even if nothing else is running, your OS is running, and that takes Ram.  Gaming companies cater to the stupid, just like everybody else.  And anyways, It is not cloud computing's goal to reduce/remove Ram and processing power from your end. 

So that leaves us HD space to physically store the game client.  Well the whole concept of server/client program for games caught on because it reduces the amount of information that has to be passed between two computers (bandwidth).  Bandwidth was a very important issue way back in the day when I was just knee-high to a grasshopper.  It's still important today, but nowhere near as much as then (the whole exponentially rising thing).  Sure, there's still people on dial-up, but seriously, nobody really caters to them anymore.  They accommodate if it doesn't cut into profits and that's about it. 

What I am saying is, my computer right here, right now, with my current internet connection, is capable of playing World of Warcraft with only a client the size of say...a browser, isntead of the like 10gb it is right now, should Blizzard decide to reprogram it that way.  Physically capable of it.  I'm sure my ISP would throw a fit if they saw an increased use of bandwidth, not because it can't handle it, but because I'd be cutting into their profits.  And by cutting into their profits I mean they tell me I have unlimited 20mps internet access but they gamble on me only using a fraction of that and start charging multiple people for the same thing to maximize profits.  But as things shift more towards cloud computing, you will see that my ISP will start shifting fees to the companies like Microsoft, Google, etc.. who are providing the cloud computing service, so It'll be all good. 

People want simplicity. They don't want to have to buy a million things from a million different places, install a million things from a million different places, pay a million different recurring fees to a million different places, when all those things are tied together (ISP, phone service, cable, internet service, hardware fees, game/phone/text subscription services, etc.. the list goes on and on).  People want simplicity.  They want to buy one thing and pay one recurring service fee to one place.  Maybe throw out the initial hardware buying if you sign a contract, as an added bonus.  People want simplicity, so companies will reshift where they get their money from in order to consolidate it down to what the people want. 

Service providers and software companies and even hardware companies will no longer sell to customers directly.  They will sell to the cloud computing companies, who will in turn try to market their services and those products to you.  We will eventually reach a point where the idea of "Getting on the computer to play games, surf the internet, etc.." or even just "Watch TV" or "Having phone service" will involve deciding which company to choose from: companyA or companyB (or C etc.. just using 2 for example sake). 

Standard packages will include I/O devices:

- keybs/mice/joysticks to accommodate various interaction experiences.  Keyb/mouse will probably standard, other peripherals optional for additional

- monitor(s). One will probably be standard, maybe even 2.  Can get different sizes, or get more for additional cost.  Think of it as like having more than 1 computer or tv in your house right now, for diff people/rooms.

- hand held device(s) that serve as household phone, music player, portable whatever-is-on-phones/pdas-these-days device.  Will probably get one, maybe 2 standard.  More for added cost per month or whatever.

Services and connecting to the cloud network: Standard service package will include things like emailing, document editing/writing, etc.. (basically all the "free" shit that comes standard with OS's or "free" shit you get online like email or google app type things).  Phone service.  Television program service. 

You can opt for premium packages that include everything from HBO (the movie channel, not some obscure programming acronym), unlimited long distance calling (though this could possibly be part of the standard package), movies on demand, games on demand, streaming music on demand, etc.. blahblahblah. 

You will be able to make a profile to keep a list of favorite everythings for quick access.  You will be able to make a public myspace type profile to share with friends and build a friends network for gaming, working, whatever.

And soon, sooner than it will take to implement all this, the physical technology will far exceed to do all the less popular things online that SA brought up.  At best, "standalone" computers will only be bought/used for very specific things (think specialized factory equipment), and will cost just enough money, so avg Joe user will probably be SoL, which is okay, because Avg Joe user does not make hollywood level animations etc.. by themselves on their home computer.  Again, think from a masses perspective, not an individual perspective.

And you will be assimilated.

Lol... try to tell Tom that bandwidth is no issue these days...

Besides, the point of cloud computing is that the client does not need a lot of resources thus making everything cheaper. Saying that your monster computer can easily play WoW doesn't apply here because there would be no client computer in a cloud environment with those specs. And yes, technology has advanced, but system requirements are increasing as well. I once tried to max out Crysis on my laptop and well, let's just say I discovered a hidden slow-motion feature.

Just because you have a really good computer and a really fast internet connection then it doesn't mean everybody else has or can even afford it. I, for instance, have a 1024/256 kbps connection. Far from enough for streaming HD anything. Some people have even slower connections and cannot get anything faster.

This is certainly not going to take over the personal workstation.  The concept in a way is moving backwards to mainframes but on a different scale.  I can tell you that we are a long ways off even just for broadband to make this possible.  The US has tons of people still using Dial Up.  This is great for businesses letting employees work from home and eliminating VPN, but there are too many other applications that will require beefy systems. As mentioned already, I think think the PC gaming industry is going anywhere, and there is a pretty big design community that needs the local horsepower for running graphical and video programs. 

Cloud computing certainly will have its place, but I don't think it will ever be take over, at least not in our future.

I guess it depends on what computer games you're talking about.  But even looking at top of the line resource devouring games....

What we've been talking about here is a shift in technology application policies and principles. But what technology is physically capable of doing has been evolving at an exponential rate every year since forever ago.  That's a whole different timeline, moving along way faster than how long it will actually take to cut through the politics and propaganda and implement cloud computing. 

For example, I play World of Warcraft (It has its moments, but I'm not one of those diehard fanboys everybody likes to stereotype all WoW players as).  Even by today's standards, I have way more processing power and memory than I really need to play the game (64 bit 2.6ghz quadcore 6gb ram).  A good chunk of those "Minimum system requirements" on the back of the box is padding because game programmers know that other things (the OS at the very least) will be running on your computer at the same time as the game.  If they told you their game only takes 500mb of Ram, people will happily try to play their game on computers that only have 500mb or Ram, and that's not going to be possible, because even if nothing else is running, your OS is running, and that takes Ram.  Gaming companies cater to the stupid, just like everybody else.  And anyways, It is not cloud computing's goal to reduce/remove Ram and processing power from your end. 

So that leaves us HD space to physically store the game client.  Well the whole concept of server/client program for games caught on because it reduces the amount of information that has to be passed between two computers (bandwidth).  Bandwidth was a very important issue way back in the day when I was just knee-high to a grasshopper.  It's still important today, but nowhere near as much as then (the whole exponentially rising thing).  Sure, there's still people on dial-up, but seriously, nobody really caters to them anymore.  They accommodate if it doesn't cut into profits and that's about it.  

What I am saying is, my computer right here, right now, with my current internet connection, is capable of playing World of Warcraft with only a client the size of say...a browser, isntead of the like 10gb it is right now, should Blizzard decide to reprogram it that way.  Physically capable of it.  I'm sure my ISP would throw a fit if they saw an increased use of bandwidth, not because it can't handle it, but because I'd be cutting into their profits.  And by cutting into their profits I mean they tell me I have unlimited 20mps internet access but they gamble on me only using a fraction of that and start charging multiple people for the same thing to maximize profits.  But as things shift more towards cloud computing, you will see that my ISP will start shifting fees to the companies like Microsoft, Google, etc.. who are providing the cloud computing service, so It'll be all good. 

People want simplicity. They don't want to have to buy a million things from a million different places, install a million things from a million different places, pay a million different recurring fees to a million different places, when all those things are tied together (ISP, phone service, cable, internet service, hardware fees, game/phone/text subscription services, etc.. the list goes on and on).  People want simplicity.  They want to buy one thing and pay one recurring service fee to one place.  Maybe throw out the initial hardware buying if you sign a contract, as an added bonus.  People want simplicity, so companies will reshift where they get their money from in order to consolidate it down to what the people want. 

Service providers and software companies and even hardware companies will no longer sell to customers directly.  They will sell to the cloud computing companies, who will in turn try to market their services and those products to you.  We will eventually reach a point where the idea of "Getting on the computer to play games, surf the internet, etc.." or even just "Watch TV" or "Having phone service" will involve deciding which company to choose from: companyA or companyB (or C etc.. just using 2 for example sake). 

Standard packages will include I/O devices:

- keybs/mice/joysticks to accommodate various interaction experiences.  Keyb/mouse will probably standard, other peripherals optional for additional

- monitor(s). One will probably be standard, maybe even 2.  Can get different sizes, or get more for additional cost.  Think of it as like having more than 1 computer or tv in your house right now, for diff people/rooms.

- hand held device(s) that serve as household phone, music player, portable whatever-is-on-phones/pdas-these-days device.  Will probably get one, maybe 2 standard.  More for added cost per month or whatever.

Services and connecting to the cloud network: Standard service package will include things like emailing, document editing/writing, etc.. (basically all the "free" shit that comes standard with OS's or "free" shit you get online like email or google app type things).  Phone service.  Television program service. 

You can opt for premium packages that include everything from HBO (the movie channel, not some obscure programming acronym), unlimited long distance calling (though this could possibly be part of the standard package), movies on demand, games on demand, streaming music on demand, etc.. blahblahblah. 

You will be able to make a profile to keep a list of favorite everythings for quick access.  You will be able to make a public myspace type profile to share with friends and build a friends network for gaming, working, whatever.

And soon, sooner than it will take to implement all this, the physical technology will far exceed to do all the less popular things online that SA brought up.  At best, "standalone" computers will only be bought/used for very specific things (think specialized factory equipment), and will cost just enough money, so avg Joe user will probably be SoL, which is okay, because Avg Joe user does not make hollywood level animations etc.. by themselves on their home computer.  Again, think from a masses perspective, not an individual perspective.

And you will be assimilated.

so what r u saying ?

due to the fact that they utterly dominate the markets to the point where I can't just go down to my local store and buy a computer without some version of windows on it, I am certainly not excited about it.

You're also paying for (for example) HP's name on it.  If you don't want to pay the extra costs you build your own.  It's not only the OS you're paying extra for when purchasing from the store.

not really true you can build the pc for a little less but if you do want windows its cheaper to buy it prebuild because dell or hp or whoever you like can sell you windows cheaper than your local pc shop or online. also its cheaper if you are building your system to buy all the parts online but buy your screws and cables and gels at the local store because cables cost more online once you add in shipping. also look for parts with free shipping ;)  your best bet is to hit up newegg.com if your build system but this is off topic here lol.

I could care less about windows 7. vista pushed me away from Microsoft for ever(unless microsoft takes over the world or gets some law passed that is anti-open source ) I am now 99% linux i only use windows at school because i cant use anything else.

open source is my life. of only dreamweaver was open source and on linux.

due to the fact that they utterly dominate the markets to the point where I can't just go down to my local store and buy a computer without some version of windows on it, I am certainly not excited about it.

Actually you can.  I was just at a local computer store, Micro Center, and they sell computers with Ubuntu on it. 

Actually I can.  I was just at a local computer store, Micro Center, and they sell computers with Ubuntu on it. 

You had a typo. I fixed it. ^^

You're also paying for (for example) HP's name on it.  If you don't want to pay the extra costs you build your own.  It's not only the OS you're paying extra for when purchasing from the store.

not really true you can build the pc for a little less but if you do want windows its cheaper to buy it prebuild because dell or hp or whoever you like can sell you windows cheaper than your local pc shop or online. also its cheaper if you are building your system to buy all the parts online but buy your screws and cables and gels at the local store because cables cost more online once you add in shipping. also look for parts with free shipping ;)  your best bet is to hit up newegg.com if your build system but this is off topic here lol.

I could care less about windows 7. vista pushed me away from Microsoft for ever(unless microsoft takes over the world or gets some law passed that is anti-open source ) I am now 99% linux i only use windows at school because i cant use anything else.

open source is my life. of only dreamweaver was open source and on linux.

"not really true you can build the pc for a little less but if you do want windows its cheaper to buy it prebuild because dell or hp or whoever you like can sell you windows cheaper than your local pc shop or online."

That doesn't make much sense in response to what you quoted.  Maybe I misread it or something.

I think it's stupid to be anti-Windows because of one bad product.  Let's say you do job X when you grow up.  Now let's say you do one bad thing.  Do you want to be stereotyped forever badly?  That's not quite fair, since I will cede you that Vista sucked when it first came out.  (Although, parts of it were not MS's fault, such as driver stuff.  [They could have worked better with people though.])

MS is not all bad!  I can't tell you how many times a day I see people say they hate MS with no real backing.  I mean I could easily say that I hate linux because it has no concrete help base, has no company behind it, so on.

"open source is my life"

I understand the concept of the open source movement, but there will always be people who want to make money.  And I must say, I like money too.  It's cool that some stuff is open source, but avoiding something because it's not open source is over kill in my opinion.

Very offtopic, but couldn't resist....

Was just checking one of my old emails that I check every every 2 weeks or so and saw a message talking about the new Hotmail Live thingy.

In regards to storage space, they said this:

"2We've designed Windows Live Hotmail storage to grow with you, but at a reasonable pace. That means you should have plenty of storage unless you suddenly want to store the planet Jupiter on Hotmail, in which case we'll send you a nice e-mail asking you to please not try to store planets on Windows Live Hotmail (although gradual storage of moons and asteroids is ok)."

When did MS get funny?

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.