Firefox or IE ?

Cetanu

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I tried chrome once, but I don't like it.  Funny story.  Or sad...

One thing I don't like about browsers is how a good chunk of the top of them are taken up by menus and toolbars and tabs and shit.  Especially when you have a million addons.  So when chrome came out, the minimalist approach to the top of the browser looked like never-ending green fields on the other side of the fence.  But then I tried it, and I felt lost, without any direction. I felt I had no control over anything. 

Going from FF to chrome was like on Shawshank Redemption where that old white dude finally gets out, and he tries to live a normal life and re-integrate into society, but he just couldn't, because he had spent so long locked up.  So he ended up hanging himself. 

I think FF has institutionalized me...

I tried chrome once, but I don't like it.  Funny story.  Or sad...

One thing I don't like about browsers is how a good chunk of the top of them are taken up by menus and toolbars and tabs and shit.  Especially when you have a million addons.  So when chrome came out, the minimalist approach to the top of the browser looked like never-ending green fields on the other side of the fence.  But then I tried it, and I felt lost, without any direction. I felt I had no control over anything. 

Going from FF to chrome was like on Shawshank Redemption where that old white dude finally gets out, and he tries to live a normal life and re-integrate into society, but he just couldn't, because he had spent so long locked up.  So he ended up hanging himself. 

I think FF has institutionalized me...

Haha, yeah, I hear you.  I like Chrome as a concept, but it doesn't quite feel ready for primetime yet.  It doesn't help that it's ugly.  I don't like its aesthetic at all.  Way too top-heavy for my tastes, and the tabs just don't look good.  I managed to build myself a fairly minimalist UI for Firefox using a few addons (Personas and Tiny Menu do most of the work, with Remove New Tab Button, Organize Status Bar, and Download Status Bar doing the rest).  Here's what I'm currently rocking:

http://www.nightslyr.com/twitterfox.jpg

My only complaint is that there are two buttons for refresh and cancel.

Firefox does everything I need it to.  It's still fast, despite the addons I've installed, and I can customize the hell out of it.  What more do I need?  Now I'm waiting for Thunderbird to reach version 3, so I can match themes.

I didn't like Chrome's interface at first, but I kept using it anyways because of:

1) Speed in JavaScript applications

2) The ability to drag tabs anywhere I'd like

Eventually the interface grew on me and I rather like it now.

I'm not sure I want Chrome to have all of the fancy plug-ins that FF has either.  Eventually it'll be just as bloated.

you can drag/reorder FF tabs.  You can also drag them straight to bookmark toolbar. IE lets you reorder them but can't drag them straight to bookmark bar, which is dumb.

Ah, but does it have that smooth buttery transition that Chrome offers? I love how smooth the remaining tabs shift over to accomodate the new tab position in Chome.. that alone will win the browser war.

I mean how you can drag Chrome tabs out of the browser and create a "new" browser instance or drag a free-floating Chrome instance back into a group of tabs.

I take advantage of this feature a lot since I have dual monitors at work and a 30" at home.

It's a feature I've wanted in FF for a long time and Chrome came up with it first (AFAIK).  Between that and the faster JS engine I really don't see how I could use FF for primary web browsing.

Oh, and I also like being able to see which Chrome tab is sucking the life out of my computer.  And if I happen to force close it for whatever reason the rest of the tabs remain intact.

For me it's a more fluid and less disruptive user experience.

http://crave.cnet.co.uk/software/0,39029471,49303325,00.htm

Let me get this straight.. I just downloaded Chrome 3 Beta (for Win) a few days back, and Chrome 4 is in beta for Mac OS?!  :wtf: Am I missing something here? Did they work on Chrome 4 in parallel or something?

Man, Google must really be anxious to catch up to the others with regards to versioning...

I mean how you can drag Chrome tabs out of the browser and create a "new" browser instance or drag a free-floating Chrome instance back into a group of tabs.

I take advantage of this feature a lot since I have dual monitors at work and a 30" at home.

It's a feature I've wanted in FF for a long time and Chrome came up with it first (AFAIK).  Between that and the faster JS engine I really don't see how I could use FF for primary web browsing.

Oh, and I also like being able to see which Chrome tab is sucking the life out of my computer.  And if I happen to force close it for whatever reason the rest of the tabs remain intact.

okay you got me there.  FF and IE cannot do that.  I have wished I could break a FF tab out into its own window via drag/drop or rightclick or something. 

But what you CAN do in FF (not IE or chrome) is drag the tab to your desktop and it saves it as a shortcut.  Alternatively, you can drag a FF tab to chrome or IE and it will load up the link in those browsers.  Can't do it the other way around!

That is something I would really like as well. Even though I've got 4 GB memory, Firefox does seem to become less responsive the higher its memory usage is.

Let me get this straight.. I just downloaded Chrome 3 Beta (for Win) a few days back, and Chrome 4 is in beta for Mac OS?!  :wtf: Am I missing something here? Did they work on Chrome 4 in parallel or something?

Man, Google must really be anxious to catch up to the others with regards to versioning...

You can get version 4 on Windows as well using Chromium. I'm not sure why they bump the version count so quickly. I don't see enough changes that to me warrant increasing the major version.

[attachment deleted by admin]

You can get version 4 on Windows as well using Chromium. I'm not sure why they bump the version count so quickly. I don't see enough changes that to me warrant increasing the major version.

Damn lol I won't pretend to understand it.. they are rushing those things out too quickly (with seemingly little difference between versions.. [much akin to an EA Sports game]).

okay you got me there.  FF and IE cannot do that.  I have wished I could break a FF tab out into its own window via drag/drop or rightclick or something. 

But what you CAN do in FF (not IE or chrome) is drag the tab to your desktop and it saves it as a shortcut.  Alternatively, you can drag a FF tab to chrome or IE and it will load up the link in those browsers.  Can't do it the other way around!

You either have one or the other, not both. I'd prefer to have the ability like Chrome where I can drag it to open a new window.

Also, as roopurt said, being able to close the one tab or plug-in that is killing your browsing experience is just freakin' awesome. The fact that I can forcefully kill a process/tab and it won't crash the whole browser makes my life a lot easier. And the update process in Chrome is so much better than FF or IE. I like when things update themselves to a stable version (of course you can change that) automatically, and when I launch my browser it instantly opens to a browser window, not a freaking popup asking if I want to update some random plugin I rarely use.  :facewall:

I think Chrome to me now, is what Firefox was to IE when I first switched. Something new and exciting, a lot faster, and cool new features not found in the other one.

And Avant? That's like saying Flock is the best browser for everyone. ::)

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.