student web portfolio

colmustard

I think this is a stupid statement to have on a portfolio:

Did I mention that I have 1337 Call of Duty skills?

In which you are trying to sell yourself.

As well as this section:

Dear Internet Explorer users...

I am with you on that statement, but for someone who wants work, well if I was a business owner, I would want to make sure my customers are happy and if that means supporting IE 6, well so be it. Just some insight, if you do not want that work anyways then there is no problem.

Other then that the site looks pretty straight forward. A little cluttered imo, but it does not look bad.

Permission to steal your business card  :)

Digging a little deeper:  On your resume your education is listed backwards.  Recent comes first.  Also, your experience for contractual work should include past contracts.  Has any of your work posted on your site been performed for any other clients?  If so list them.

"I am self taught in XHTML/CSS and am very confident in my ability to write clean, valid, functional code."

It is obvious you are self taught because you don't have a degree in it.  Its not about yourself here, its about what you have done that will add value to other clients.

"Well versed in XHTML/CSS.  Authored 5 published web templates. All code passes W3 validators."

And then your "expertise" goes down hill.  It would be better to list these as bullet points if you don't have anything good to say about your own skill.  Put Graphic Design at the top.  It is your  greatest expertise.  Graphic design is integral to web development, and does seem to be your expertise. 

thanks for the critique guys this is really helpful,

@premiso

lol its actually funny that you mentioned my footer, my boss loved it and always jokes about it whenever we have to make an ie6 fix haha.

@andrew

I'm only 17 and don't have any clients or degrees yet, but I definitely see the point you are making! Thats something that I'm going to need to keep in mind in the future when I am really looking for work.

thanks guys, its really useful having actual critiques for once rather than the usual "I like it, I don't like it" stuff!

;D

@premiso

lol its actually funny that you mentioned my footer, my boss loved it and always jokes about it whenever we have to make an ie6 fix haha.

In the corporate world you don't have a choice of browser, you use what is installed (in most cases IE6) and your visitors may feel offended by your statements.

Your website only tells possible employers as to why not hire you:

My day usually consists of sleep, sleep, more sleep, and the occasional couple hours of work.

Which means always too late at work, always exceeds the deadline, .. and it's filled with these kind of statements like:

Did I mention that I have 1337 Call of Duty skills?

Which means you are a liability if they ever want to let you work from home.

I was offered a job and have and have been working there since.

Typo's. Inconsistency.

My advice: take a good hard second look and keep your design consistent. Don't forget that your website names the company you work for and therefor reflect to prospects the quality they are likely to get. So, although it may seem fun what is on your portfolio. It may harm the company you work for on the other hand if you know how to sell you well it may in turn create new leads/prospects for the company you work for and which in turn means you won't end up without a job.

• 5 weeks later...

I quite enjoy the funnys you have all over the site.  But i wouldnt have them.  Employers are looking for someone who will get the job done.  By showing this side of yourself you may be doing yourself a injustice.  I have no other critiques, it all seems to work quite well.

I agree with everyone. One thing I would immediatly change is the date in the "about me" page. It looks like a blog when it should be a single page. Also in that page, you sidebar content is floating left on the bottom of the content.

Agreeing with everyone else's comments on the "funnies" posted about your site, I'm still very impressed with your site.

My only nitpick/hatred about it is your About Me page.  Automatically playing music upon pageload is so 1990's and soooo annoying.  I literally closed the tab immediately, turned down my volume and went back to find the stop button.  You're lucky I even went back to the page at all...

• 2 weeks later...

Agreeing with everyone else's comments on the "funnies" posted about your site, I'm still very impressed with your site.

My only nitpick/hatred about it is your About Me page.  Automatically playing music upon pageload is so 1990's and soooo annoying.  I literally closed the tab immediately, turned down my volume and went back to find the stop button.  You're lucky I even went back to the page at all...

0_0 but its cake... i mean common lol

and yeah sometimes the right widget bar doesn't float correctly, I don't know what the issue is, I should probably just do an entire css re-write because I coded that site as I was still "learning" and now I just look back at my code with shame haha

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.