Movies About Programmers

Stefany93

Hello,

I was wondering if there are any good movies about programmers? I have seen Hackers but it is basically not about programmers and the Social Network but it wasn't again strictly about programmers, can you recommend me some movies on that topic?

Best Regards

Stefany

Programming is boring and slow. There aren't any movies about accounting either. The only thing you're going to get is movies like The Social Network or (to a significantly lesser extent) Swordfish. Few movies portray programming accurately. The Matrix trilogy portrays modern operating systems and software correctly, even going so far as to show an actual bash exploit in the third one. I can personally attest that the commands typed at the beginning of Firewall are indeed the proper way to null route an incoming IP. Later on in that movie he shoved the bare wires from a broken scanner into an iPod Mini and slapped the scanner light against a terminal, magically transforming the makeshift device into a portable OCR scanner.

Computers are boring and difficult. Movies are exciting and easy. Hacking the President's Internet is the best you're going to get.

Hello,

I was wondering if there are any good movies about programmers? I have seen Hackers but it is basically not about programmers and the Social Network but it wasn't again strictly about programmers, can you recommend me some movies on that topic?

Best Regards

Stefany

Your best bet is to look for some documentaries. Anything Hollywood puts out is usually incredibly wrong on the technology and what programmers actually do, and focused entirely on some cliche story. The best I've seen that wasn't a documentary was Pirates of Silicon Valley which was a made-for-TV movie about Bill Gates and Steve Jobs. It's about as good a movie about programmers can be without being a documentary, although it still wasn't completely accurate.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pirates_of_Silicon_Valley

Fun fact: the guy who voices Bender on Futurama (along with other cartoon roles) played Steve Ballmer in the movie. Inspired casting.

The best I've seen that wasn't a documentary was Pirates of Silicon Valley which was a made-for-TV movie about Bill Gates and Steve Jobs.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pirates_of_Silicon_Valley

Fun fact: the guy who voices Bender on Futurama (along with other cartoon roles) played Steve Ballmer in the movie. Inspired casting.

Great movie that. I was going to suggest the same thing, but like Kevin already pointed out, it barely covers anything about programming at all. It is more about piracy, stealing ideas, trickery/treason, etcetera... and how it equates to being a successful business person.

**I never knew that about the Bender/Balmer connection. Thanks for the trivia.

So you were surprised no-one mentioned it, and THEN read the replies?

More like expecting more of a list format rather than one enormous block of text with Swordfish just camped in the middle.

Having fun picking at my oversights? Go watch a movie or something... Might I recommend Swordfish? ManiacDan mentioned it in the second post but somehow I missed it in a quick skim of the message.

I might just go ahead and watch Grandma's Boy, the only movie I took the time to put on my phone, maybe for obvious reasons, anyone happen to know Dante's number? That Zimbabwe stuff sounds great right about now.

If I knew you were going to criticize me, I would have trimmed my antlers.

Edited by DarkerAngel

AntiTrust is a decent semi-programmer movie. I enjoyed it :)

I guess you *could* include Jurassic Park, I mean they use Unix and the girls knows it!

Oh and Swordfish, granted that is about cracking some encryption while a guy gets a blowjob...

And the Net, not really sure what that is about...

And if you consider it programming.... DollHouse (TV Series) where they program humans!

Edited by premiso

"The Net" was decent. It's about a freelance programmer who winds up in the middle of a large conspiracy when someone sends her a program to debug.

Aside from the mentioned stuff nothing else really comes to mind.

On a non-movie front, "The IT Crowd" was a pretty good sitcom.

On a non-movie front, "The IT Crowd" was a pretty good sitcom.
Whenever they're in their office talking to each other, or complaining about the users, that show makes me laugh so hard my sides hurt. When they cut away from the office, the nerd writers suddenly don't know what's funny in the real world, so they fall back to dick and fart jokes.

One episode was about how "gross" it is to date a trans woman.

There was a 3-episode story arc about the CEO trying to rape the female lead. When he raped the two male leads instead, that was supposed to be hilarious. He was then fitted with electric pants which gave his genitals an electric shock whenever he became aroused at work.

Stick to Roy and Moss arguing in the office and I'll watch it again. I don't feel like sitting through another "hilarious" rape scene.

There are few episodes in Workaholics.. that mention web design and even though the show has nothing to do with programming, it is totally worth a watch. In fact, I think I will watch an episode right now.

-- "It isn't very often that you get a second chance at third love"

• 2 weeks later...
This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.