Menu System

emehrkay

[b]Description:[/b]
I created a three tiered menu system using a javascript library mootools. It will be the main header and menu system for my website and I believe that the design will allow for users to drill down to what their looking for a lot easier. The idea is inspired by the finder in OSX.

I would say that the coding is about 80% done, with the remaining coding to be done falls under presentation, minor browser tweeks and two small display functions. I believe that the main functionality (unless you say otherwise) is done.

[b]Testing:[/b]
This isnt a server-side test because I believe that the code that is generating the menu system is pretty slick and is complete. The issue is how the menu functions in various browser/os setups. both of my systems have been upgraded to IE7, one has FF2 the other 1.5(i think) and both have the latest version of Opera. The menu works fine in all of the tests that I've been able to conduct. I'm looking tests with other platforms and browsers. And it would be cool if you guys could find any unforeseen bugs or exceptions or even better, suggestions to make it a better system.

[b]How it works:[/b]
There are three tiers of unordered lists that make up menu system. If the option has a child, then it is displayed under it. If not, the user will be taken to the selected page. If the button has a child, it will not redirect the browser, only display its children. If it is a search item, the bottom-most dark grey div will expand into the appropriate search form(not implemented yet). When a page is loaded, the js class will handle the animation and highlighting based on where it belongs in the menu system (left out of test).

You'll be asked to log in, use the credentials mark:mark

http://8trk.com/home.php

Thanks. This should be an easy first beta test.

[quote author=AndyB link=topic=120392.msg493732#msg493732 date=1167502655]
Firefox V1.0.7 - all I ever see is the top level menu (four main options) and a link to display the layout (which has 'members' and 'discussions' spelled wrongly).
[/quote]

My spelling is horrible - lol

Im trying to add an alert to the onclick event of the link (im not in the house right now), once i do that would you mind letting me know if you get the alert?

but does it work in your other browsers?

[quote author=alpine link=topic=120392.msg493827#msg493827 date=1167511788]
I ran it on IE5.5 and IE6 (both win xp) and it is working as i think you ment for it to work.
IE5.5 is probably irrelevant for you, but as a sidenote - the loginbox is aligned left.
[/quote]

thank you. thats strange aobut the loginbox becuase im using margin-left & right: auto and defining a width in the css

hey andy, are there any js errors in ff 1.2?

[quote author=emehrkay link=topic=120392.msg493872#msg493872 date=1167514665]
thats strange aobut the loginbox becuase im using margin-left & right: auto and defining a width in the css
[/quote]

Nothing surprises me when it comes to CSS (i've just started cludring with it myself now) - i'm tempted to say CSS is not suited to use for layout purposes (lol - lol - lol - and lol) but saying that is just dropping a gigantic bomb on myself, right...

[quote author=alpine link=topic=120392.msg494109#msg494109 date=1167548046]
i'm tempted to say CSS is not suited to use for layout purposes (lol - lol - lol - and lol) but saying that is just dropping a gigantic bomb on myself, right...
[/quote]

Maybe you should try XSLT. I've experimented with it myself and it has a lot more potential than CSS. Virtually every browser supports XSLT nowadays.

Opera, latest beta build (9.1).  Works fine.

I just have a suggestion... I'd rather see this work with a mouse over event than a click event.  Would be more user-friendly.  Some people may not even know there are sub-menus until they click.

[quote author=ober link=topic=120392.msg494187#msg494187 date=1167572468]
Opera, latest beta build (9.1).  Works fine.

I just have a suggestion... I'd rather see this work with a mouse over event than a click event.  Would be more user-friendly.  Some people may not even know there are sub-menus until they click.
[/quote]

Good to hear, thank you.

I tried mouseovers, the only problem with that is that if you go back and forth really quick between the items, the subDiv will display, but with all of the processing the list doesnt. that even happens if you click between two really fast.

When I have all of the bugs ironed out, and I move on to styling, I can add some sort of icon sayin that the item has a submenu.

I made some modifications to how the menu is displayed. Originally i altered the margin-top of the div where it would just place it behind the div above it. see that here:

http://8trk.com/home.php

I changed that to alter the height of the div

http://8trk.com/home2.php

login is still mark:mark

the height one doesnt look as smooth, maybe i could do something to fix that but it should work better across browsers. Let me know.

Thanks

I'm using IE7 and on the "height" one, when I click on one of the links for the submenu to come down, about 3 boxes pop up saying "An error occured in the script on this page", and then the menu animation freezes midway. It is kind of weird.

Regarding margin etc: I've actually done over one of my sites to fully CSS myself the last couple of days - and i have to admit that when getting <sort of> the hang of it, it's cool to work with (i never thought i should <ever> say that).
I have one friend running ONLY Linux, i get him to screenshot me various browsers whenever i need - and i have another friend (i actually have a few friends when i start thinking.!.) that is running ONLY Mac, i also get a few screenshots there when i ask. A screenshot tells definitively more than one can ever explain.

* And EDIT: Only IE7 states error, not IE6

I'm running an extension in FF2.0 that is looking at your source (all in base.css):
Line 10: Error in parsing value for property 'width'
Line 13: Error in parsing value for property 'width'
Line 64, 65, 78, 79: Unknown property 'filter'

You should be able to look at that on any FF at Tools - Error Console.

However, I also have IE7B (7.0.5346.5 Beta 2), because the damn thing won't let me install the newest updated version.

I'm having a lot of problems with the styling on the "home" link. The rest of the menu displays just fine, but the home link for some reason creates the box on the right side instead of the left side. Now, this was probably fixed in the newest version of IE7, but I wouldn't know.

Also, just a side note: it seems like the menu is very jerky. Is there a way that you could make it run a little smoother (getting rid of the bounce would help)

[quote author=alpine link=topic=120392.msg494325#msg494325 date=1167593836]
I don't get any dialogbox with warning in IE7 but it states an syntax error on line 2 char 1.[/quote]

:-\ I'm beginning to think I have a virus on my computer because now it is happening to me on this forum.....

KingPhilip thank you. those width hacks were some that i found to do min-width in ie6. I took them out. the later filters are actually ie's way of doing opacity. which style is jerky, is it the margin-top method or the height? i feel that the height one is a bit off.

yeah alpine, your screens definitely made me see what was going on a lot easier than explanations

axiss have you check your security settings?

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.