Bigger monitor

.josh

Okay my goal here is to actually have higher resolution, so that I can get more lines of text on the screen in a document or editor or whatever.  My screen resolution is set to the highest I can make it already, but I want more.  Lots more. 

So I was thinking what if I bought a big screen plasma tv? Like, one that is like 3 feet high. BLAM! Okay here's the thing that I don't know, since I'm not a hardware expert or anything; maybe someone can tell me before I go drop a thousand bucks on this: 

If I go buy a big screen plasma/lcd tv that offers hdmi or dvi input, will it actually give me higher screen resolution options, like instead of 1440x900 px It will say like 10,000x8,000 px or something?  Or will it just give me the same resolution options, and just show the same amount of lines, only bigger?  Again, goal is to get more lines of text on the screen.  LOTS more.

Would I need to find a graphics card capable of higher resolutions?  Are there even graphics cards available that are capable of that?

You might get a slightly higher resolution, but nothing like 10,000x8,000 :)

Also, in my experience it is more difficult to setup, the quality can be a little crappy.

What size screen are you currently using? You could consider getting a larger one, I get a good 50+ lines of code on my 22" TFT at 1680 x 1050 resolution. Finally, if this isn't enough, consider rotating your screen onto its side to increase the vertical resolution, my 22" will display 90+ lines of code in this view :D

ILMV

You'd have to look at the TV specs for the max resolution.  You should definitely get LCD if you plan to use this as a monitor, plasma can still get screen burn and is not the best option for what you want.  I think ILMV is right, you can always get a swivel monitor and turn it vertical.  I use a 22" but I think 24" is pretty large and you'd be more than happy.

yeah i thought about the swiveling my monitor sideways, but i want MORE.  Seriously I want like 500 lines or something. I just want to know what all needs to be considered in order to achieve that.  I know that the tv resolution counts, but I was thinking that with lcd/plasma, bigger == more resolution.  And what really mattered was whether a) just because you have a big ass tv that can handle 10,000x8,000 screen resolution, does the graphics card care? Does the OS care?  I don't want to spend money on it if for instance, windows doesn't support resolutions beyond like 1680 x 1050 or something.  But I don't really know how all that works (hence the post). 

I'm running dual 22" widescreen, both set to 1680x1050.

I opted for this setup instead of my original purchase which was a 27" widescreen monitor. Can't remember the resolution it went up to but I saw one running at a demoparty and it looked sweeeeeet!

Not long after that the demoparty organiser bought one and ended up selling it as it was... too big!

I just checked and I'm running at the max resolution these things will run at.

I got the same Yesideez dual 22" ftw ;)

Dude, there is no way you will get like 500 lines of code on a screen, unless you put two 24" screens on top of each other, on their sides with the code at size 8, then you might have half a chance...

Plasma TV's don't give you that kind of resolution.  A 1080P plasma is 1920x1080, so it just looks like crap when you get text that big reading it up close.  If you go larger than 1920x1400 or so, normal resolution for a 24", you get into needing to use the dual mode on video cards, so you'll need to step it in that area if you want more than one 30".  And you can get like 4 24" monitors and a decent video cards to drive them all for cheaper than a 30". 

Yeah but stacking monitors creates a physical break in the text (the edges of the monitors).  I was hoping to find a solution involving a really big screen so I wouldn't have that.  I'm not by any means a rich guy, but I'm willing to save up and pay more for what I want, rather than settle for so-so just because it's cheaper.  But I'm not willing to spend money on it if it's just not gonna work at all.  So yeah...I'm not looking for bigger text.  I'm looking for same-sized text, but more lines of text. 

The problem is that if you have such a large screen then you would have to move your head too much because you couldn't actually look at the entire screen at once. I think you'd quickly find that too annoying when reading. Of course you could move farther back, but then the text would have to be equally larger in order to read it. Larger text within the same area means less text within that area though.

man, it's a mental thing.  the more code I can physically see at a time, even if I have to move my eyes/head more, the better I can wrap my head around it.

By better I mean faster.  For some reason the more I can physically see at a time, the faster I can wrap my head around it.  I've been working with like an 800x600 res or something forever with like 20 lines of text or something and I just started using a monitor set at 1440x900 and I'm it has like 40 lines now and able to take shit in faster so I'm thinking hey, let's go balls to the wall and get a huge screen with like 500 lines RAWR.  Okay I will admit that 500 lines is probably too much, but seriously, I want like 100-150 or something.

Hmmm.. desire more lines of code on screen eh?

Perhaps setting the font-size a lot smaller in your IDE  :P

haha yeah I tried that but then it's too small to read for sure.  About 10px is smallest I can live with, on a practical level.  My monitor already sits about 3 feet away from me so I'm not really worried about it being too far/too small for bigger screens, as long as the fontsize is at 10px

I want like 100-150 lines or something.

A 30" monitor turned vertically will give you this.

You get 40 lines now with 900 px, a 30" vertical gets you 2560 px, and is wider than your current display.

40 lines/900 = 113 lines/2560

But in my opinion, I've worked with both 24" and 30" monitors before, and with either one, I've never found myself using the entire display for a single window because it's really a waste of space.  You can only follow so many lines of code in your field of vision before it's just peripheral noise.  Right now, on my dev machine, I have dual 24" monitors, with Eclipse in one and Firefox surrounded by 4 terminal windows in the other.  When I was using a 30", Eclipse was about the same size as I have it now and I had some terminal windows around that.

yeah I just actually turned my current monitor sideways and got about 75 lines out of it (I think it's a 19").  1440x900 would actually be reversed since I'm turning it sideways, though.  So I'm getting about 75 lines out of 1440px (Probably add another 25 or so if you count the menu and footer space for the IDE i'm using...about 75 lines of actual code being displayed in my IDE). 

So yeah..I guess just getting like a 30" monitor and turning it sideways probably will be the way to go.

I get what you're saying about the whole peripheral noise after a certain amount, but I haven't found my personal limit yet.  I just soaked up that 75 lines no problem.

Why have that many lines in the first play? I can understand the desire for it, and questioning the motivation is a bit off topic. But I find having even less code on one screen makes me a better programmer because it helps me force myself to limit function size and increase encapsulation to keep code maintainable.

You know, when I'm doing my own coding, extra line visibility really isn't that big of a deal to me.  I created it, so I already have the image in my head.  But 99% of my work involves trying to figure swim around other people's code, so for me, the more I can visibly see at a time, the better. 

But remember - the graphics cards also have limits on max resolutions. Most go up to around 2500*1600. I run dualscreen, 21" and 19" and have a hard time being productive on any screen setup with less real estate. I'm thinking about adding another monitor or two. :D

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.