Google OS

Daniel0

Interesting... doesn't look like it will be a replacement for Windows or Linux anytime soon though.

Its actually built on-top of the Linux kernel so (imo) this is also great news for Linux.

Yeah, as jcombs mentioned.. seems web targeted, as the article keeps refering to the OS being built for people who use the web a lot.. When I heard the rumor of this Google OS, I figured it would be a full fledged replacement for Windows for example.. Perhaps Google will build toward this in the years to come. Still, very interesting.

I first heard about this rumor when I was reading an article in a business website (can't remember which or how long ago), which discussed Walmart trying to wrestle low fees for putting Microsoft Windows in their cheap PCs. When Microsoft refused, the threat was on to switch over to putting Google's upcoming OS once available. At present, I'm not sure if Walmart sells PCs, and if so, which OS ships with them... But if Google's Chrome OS is web orientated, I question the viability from a general consumer's standpoint. Google's OS will probably have to me more than 'built for the web' to cause a real hail storm for Microsoft and friends.

I think Walmart sells Dell brand computers, and I think they run Windows.

I've never understood the hype around netbooks.  Woo!  A small laptop that's pretty much only good for the internet!  Do people who can't afford full sized laptops buy them, or are there really people out there that are only interested in email/youtube/facebook/etc?

I wonder what the google OS GUI will look like...  I hope it doesn't look Chrome-ish (as in the browser).  I like the look of Chrome, but I think it would look terrible as a full GUI.

I've never understood the hype around netbooks.  Woo!  A small laptop that's pretty much only good for the internet!  Do people who can't afford full sized laptops buy them, or are there really people out there that are only interested in email/youtube/facebook/etc?

I have a netbook, the Asus Eee PC 901 to be exact. I have two MacBooks too. So yes, people who have actual laptops buy them as well.

I take mine to meetings where I only need to take notes, or record audio. Takes less space, doesn't get as hot and noisy, and the battery lasts longer than my MacBooks. I have the Ubuntu Netbook Remix OS installed on it. Good for messing around on while taking a shit too.

hmm.. I wonder if they are going to have a splash saying "Google OS Beta" :|

Like corbin I also wonder how the GUI would look.. I just hope they don't take google's "web design" as inspiration..

Besides that, I wonder what default software will it ship(for audio, text editor etc), of course google chrome will probably be the main browser.

I wonder if this OS will follow how "well" its browser did.

I use Chrome as my main browser and rarely have problems, I think it's doing pretty "well".

As for the OS, I wonder what the battery life will be like compared to current netbooks. I already get like 6hrs off of mine, and thats running XP with a few apps open.

Would the OS really effect a battery life that bad? I thought it was mostly hardware as far as energy consumption goes?

EDIT: I also think google is taking over the e-world. Anyone noticed how about the same time IE had its "fatal" bug or whatever it was called, google chrome just happens to come out? Hmm...?

"1. Netbooks aren't the world"

[...] that will initially be targeted at netbooks [...]

"Initially" implies they will focus on other markets later. Also:

Google Chrome OS is being created for people who spend most of their time on the web' date=' and is being designed to power computers ranging from small netbooks to [b']full-size desktop systems[/b].

"2. Microsoft Can Shoot to Kill"

This is just the author's own speculations. Besides, the author is contradicting himself. First he says that Google cannot touch Microsoft, next he says that Google is a "powerful competitor". Both cannot be true simultaneously.

"3. Google Docs is the best they can do"

In my opinion, Gmail doesn't even have any competition. That's a Google product. There is also Google Reader, Google Calendar and YouTube. It beats desktop based email clients and the other webmail systems. This argument is bullshit. Most of the things I do with my computer are web based. IM could easily be a web service instead of a desktop client. The majority of computer users don't need all the power that comes with their workstations. The only exceptions are gamers, programmers, and people doing heavy stuff with audio/video. Those groups are minorities, however.

"4. Chrome isn't a "real" operating system"

That's not true, and the author of that article doesn't know what an operating system is. The Chrome OS is built with the Linux kernel, which makes it just as much a "real" operating system as Ubuntu, Debian, Gentoo etc. One of the things they're going to do different is the window manager (which the author apparently thinks is called an "OS").

"5. Compatibility matters"

Again, bullshit. A lot of hardware works out of the box with the Linux kernel. Moreover:

Google Chrome OS will run on both x86 as well as ARM chips and we are working with multiple OEMs to bring a number of netbooks to market next year.
Then there is software compatibility, but it's irrelevant in this matter because the Chrome OS is based on cloud computing and web based services.

1. Netbooks aren't the world

Indeed, but I'll bet my nuts there is a massive share of the computer market owned by people who just want to surf the net. My wife for one thinks our laptop is the internet. She doesn't care one bit that I've just setup yet another vps capable of serving all my other vp's application repositories, she just wants to check her mail and facebook.

2. Microsoft Can Shoot to Kill"

Sure, but who cares who is making these web based applications. Market competition never hurt the consumer.

3. Google Docs is the best they can do

I'll just agree with Daniel here. Google are always pushing forward / stretching the boundaries. I mean really, who wasn't blown away by 'street view'?

4. Chrome isn't a "real" operating system

What a load of shit. An operating system needn't be anything more than a mechanism to get your machine to a state where it is ready to accept commands. GNU/Linux has known this for a long time. This is where MS got it wrong, by trying to make out the OS was responsible for all (I know this isn't how it actually works, but its how its been sold). Finally end users might see that small applications themselves can be responsible for a subset of tasks and really the OS is just there to support them.

5. Compatibility matters"

No shit. The Linux kernel runs on 10+ different architectures, windows what, 2-3? The fact that there is a new, big project pushing OSS and Linux based systems might actually help open the eyes of some of the slower manufacturers (ie; nvidia) and software companies (ie; adobe) to work with there market instead of holding back or working against it.

It's really only a matter of time (imo) before open source is the norm. It makes sense.

I guess the biggest thing for me to get excited about this chrome OS, isn't so much the OS itself, but the wealth of (web based) applications that are abound to come along with it. Hell, for someone like me (I guess I'd be some sort of power user compared to my wife at least), the less shit I can have installed on my computer just leaves me all the more local power I need to do other things without the need of worrying about software vulnerabilities and maintainability.

• 3 weeks later...

hmm.. I wonder if they are going to have a splash saying "Google OS Beta" :|

Like corbin I also wonder how the GUI would look.. I just hope they don't take google's "web design" as inspiration..

Besides that, I wonder what default software will it ship(for audio, text editor etc), of course google chrome will probably be the main browser.

Maybe they'll incorporate google docs, google mail etc. into most of it? That should take care of a lot of it.

I can see google just making loads of their own software to go with it, such as a music player.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.