Name Change Complaint

In the Rules & TOS, it clearly states that I cannot request a name change or register more than 1 account. So is there a way to deactivate one account? I'm not liking my "Ken2k7" username. Surely I didn't think much of the name when I first registered. I didn't know if I would stick around or not so I just picked the first thing that came up. So what's so bad about changing a name? I highly doubt other people care unless it's an offensive name.

Can't we have a rule like you have to be here for x amount of time (say 3 years minimum) and have a minimum of x posts to be allowed one name change per year or something similar? That may require a bit of maintenance so how about the option that the members in the Supporter group are allowed one name change? That can work out seeing as not many people are in that group at the moment. I only need it changed once and I've already picked out my new username. Currently, it's available.

It's probably something to do with the database relations, they may use the username as a session to track your posts and stuff. Otherwise I can't see why you wouldn't be allowed to change your username. Although I've never used SMF...

It's probably something to do with the database relations, they may use the username as a session to track your posts and stuff. Otherwise I can't see why you wouldn't be allowed to change your username. Although I've never used SMF...

It's not a technical decision, but an administrative decision. For instance, what prevents anyone from calling themselves Ken2k7 once that username then would become available?

I think the original idea behind that rule was for consistency; If everyone could change their name then you wouldn't be able to remember who was who in the end.

Not that anyone care. If you're a staff member, you would still be in the group, not that people are allowed to PM any one specific member regarding help as said in the rules so it really doesn't matter much at all.

Maybe the new leaders will oblige, but doubtful.

But why does it matter, it is just an Alias anyways, who really cares other then you? 

Well yeah lol. I would personally like a change in my username. I don't see why I can modify my profile, signature, avatar to my liking but not my username.

It's not a technical decision, but an administrative decision. For instance, what prevents anyone from calling themselves Ken2k7 once that username then would become available?

Nothing. I have no issues with someone calling themselves Ken2k7 after I change my username. How about this: you ban Ken2k7 (the username) and I create a new account?

The rule was put in place so there is no doubt who everybody is. Other people have no chance of knowing who is who if people change their names all the time. Certainly the fact that you've been around for a while would speak against changing your username because you have a reputation as opposed to someone with just one or two posts.

The rule was put in place so there is no doubt who everybody is. Other people have no chance of knowing who is who if people change their names all the time. Certainly the fact that you've been around for a while would speak against changing your username because you have a reputation as opposed to someone with just one or two posts.

I created this account back when I was new to PHP and was learning for the first time. I just picked the first thing that came to mind just to get in and ask a question. But being around here and having loved this place for a long time, I'd like to change my username to something I'd like. Ken2k7 doesn't sound too fitting lol.

And this name change should not be available to those who have one or two posts.

I wasn't allowed to change my name even when I was a Moderator - I even had the applicable permissions to actually change it myself but it didn't fly with the rest of the team. Good luck ;)

This is how everyone identifies you -- this is a good thing -- so leave it be.  I doubt the admins will change the policy, since it's in place for this very reason.

I didn't capitalize my username 5 years ago, and I still can't.

I don't see why I can modify my profile, signature, avatar to my liking but not my username.

It's pretty simple actually.  If you're allowed to change your name, then everyone else is going to want to change theirs too. 

It's just like your mailing address or telephone number... or PO Box #.  You can't just up and say "Hey, I'd like my digits to be 123 instead of 56185145486156-2" (Assuming 123 just happened to be available)  Even if you argue against that and say "Yes you can!?".. You'd still have to sacrifice some money for that actual change to happen.  There's no merit badge privilege out there that awards you those changes for free. 

[ot]Unless your in witness protection, but then still you have no real say so in the digits you get.[/ot]

Also, it's just like already mentioned.  If you changed your username (and everyone else too), then who would know who is who around here?

How would the mods keep track of the new-coming spammers easily?

How would the freelancers keep an eye out for their clients that are online; and vice versa?

How would a person know who to say "thank you" to, when their problem is finally solved?

I don't see why I can modify my profile, signature, avatar to my liking but not my username.

It's pretty simple actually.  If you're allowed to change your name, then everyone else is going to want to change theirs too. 

It's just like your mailing address or telephone number... or PO Box #.  You can't just up and say "Hey, I'd like my digits to be 123 instead of 56185145486156-2" (Assuming 123 just happened to be available)  Even if you argue against that and say "Yes you can!?".. You'd still have to sacrifice some money for that actual change to happen.  There's no merit badge privilege out there that awards you those changes for free. 

[ot]Unless your in witness protection, but then still you have no real say so in the digits you get.[/ot]

I did make the case to allow certain members the right to change it, like the Supporter group or those who are active, helpful, etc. Not newcomers with 1 to 2 posts.

Also, it's just like already mentioned.  If you changed your username (and everyone else too), then who would know who is who around here?

How would the mods keep track of the new-coming spammers easily?

How would the freelancers keep an eye out for their clients that are online; and vice versa?

How would a person know who to say "thank you" to, when their problem is finally solved?

1. How many people would care? If I ask a question, I'd post it up on the forum. Whoever answers it, answers it. I can't PM anyone for help according to the rules, so there's no need for me or anyone else to keep track. Many forums allow their members to change their username. I don't see them having issues with this.

2. New-comers should not have the privilege.

3. You can hide your online status anyways. That doesn't do anything. Clients usually get PMed by the freelancer. Assuming the DB is set up correctly, they can view the PM if they haven't deleted it. But then again, if you're the freelancer and you changed your name without telling the client, that's the freelancer's fault and the client has the right to go somewhere else. Obviously the freelancer doesn't care about the client enough to mention it or even possibly take the job seriously enough.

4. Well, assuming the DB is set up correctly, the name in the posts should change. That's not a problem.

I agree with Ken, and as for not knowing who you are after a name change.. if you're bothered about this, nothing stops you from putting down a message in your signature "I am Ken2k7. I have changed my username"

Although, once one has changed the name, everyone else would want to, causing big efforts on the staff having to change hundreds of names at a time.

This could be prevented by.. like stated, giving certain members the chance to change their name. Like.. Rank Devotee's and up. As it is probably likely they wont change their name all time as maybe users with less posts might do.

If someone doesn't like that, and they have 1 post, and wish to change their name.. -hard luck.

This could be put into a neutral arguement, rather than taking a side but... I don't know about you, but php rocks my socks more than fussing about changing a name.

This is a moot point -- it's really not going to happen -- and the more posts you have, the less valuable it is to the rest of the members to have anyone's username changed.

I fail to see why creating a new account with the desired name hasn't been considered.  The only 'barrier' I can see is Ken's post count not transferring over.

Because this is also against the rules. I'm closing this thread as it really is getting carried away over nothing. I think the point has been made.