wamp or lamp

lostone

what do you use  

33 members have voted

1. 1. what do you use

• WAMP
    • LAMP/UAMP
    • other

For development purposes I prefer using XAMPP for Linux with Ubuntu, but there are times when I need to do something on Windows (in Dreamweaver), in which case I use XAMPP for Windows :)

Out of interest, in what situation would you specifically need to use Dreamweaver over a *NIX based IDE?

For development purposes I prefer using XAMPP for Linux with Ubuntu, but there are times when I need to do something on Windows (in Dreamweaver), in which case I use XAMPP for Windows :)

Why would you choose a third-party bundle to the package manager in your distribution. Setting up a LAMP in Debian/Ubuntu is as simple as aptitude install apache2 php5-mysql libapache2-mod-php5 mysql-server-5.0 (as root). It'll sort out all dependencies for you and the packages will update along with the rest of your system.

Out of interest, in what situation would you specifically need to use Dreamweaver over a *NIX based IDE?

Templates ;D

Why would you choose a third-party bundle to the package manager in your distribution. Setting up a LAMP in Debian/Ubuntu is as simple as aptitude install apache2 php5-mysql libapache2-mod-php5 mysql-server-5.0 (as root). It'll sort out all dependencies for you and the packages will update along with the rest of your system.

Yes, I realise that.  Coming to think of it, I do use the lamp stack from the ubuntu repos.  But I use XAMPP on CentOS because I don't like the way the Apache webroot is mapped to my home directory.  Of course, I could modify the configuration, but it's easier for me to use XAMPP.

Templates ;D

Ugh... I can't stand using Dreamweaver templates. When you make a modification to one of the template components, Dreamweaver literally has to touch every single file and update the contents of that file, and then you have to push all the updated files to the server. That is such a wasted effort when you can simply use PHP includes or a true templating system, such as Smarty, to only have to change the content in one location. Period.

• 1 month later...

I happen to like Dreamweaver and use it for development of html/css/php/javascript.  I don't use the WYSIWYG, but the IDE works nicely for me.  I've tried Quanta++ and Bluefish but I prefer Dreamweaver.  I like Adobe's line of software.  The CS3 suite is really nice and I like the workspace.

I use Wamp since I have to deal with actionscript and still make websites ie6 compatible (unfortunatly  :-[ )

actually pretty much everything i need from adobe suchs photoshop illustrator etc. If apple wasnt so expensive or linux would run adobe software I wouldn't hesitate to switch to linux for a min. I prefer linux over windows its just some of software that doesn't run on it (or needs tweaking with emulators such as wine)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I use both. Wampserver2 is probably the easiest for me. I'm spending less and less time on Windows machines though. My latest project has been setting up a Ubuntu web server. Nothing has taught me more about Apache or PHP.

loads of problems on WAMP use OXAMP OSX and LAMP combo

Elaborate please.

there are permission issues on WAMP especialy VISTA WAMP, its just not made for it, i used it for 3 years at university, at uni they had the liunux machines and at home i had set up my WAMP manualy NOT XAMP which is a ready made installer so i am quite aquainted. At work i use OXAMP (OSX 10.5) with XAMP INSTALLER, i use dreamweaver to manage loads of sites and work with them on another OXAMP server, You see email server and FTP etc are already set up on OSX, everything just WORKS minimal configuration and installation and everything is SIMPLE. leave the highly cionfigurable servers LINUX machines to the people hosting your software, you need a development platform.

For example there is no process forking in windows because you cant create a process in windows like you do on UNIX, there will be directory reading naming commandline issues if u use any in your php it will be different on bot OS's, you need to develop on firefox as this is a first time workier and your stuff will work, then you need to rewrite your code to make it work on IE cos IE has gay glitches which require you to mess up your code to make it work on it, and there different for ie 6 and 7.

its best to develop on MAC and host on linux and just leave windows out of it. i keep a windows machine by my side at work a laptop to test IE 6 and have a virtual machine in it for IE7

So basically the only argument you gave was Vista's file permissions?  I wouldn't use Vista for a production server, but not because of file permissions.  (What version of Vista was it?  The file perms on Vista are fine for me.  If it wasn't above or equal to Home Premium, there's always icacls.)

If you use IIS, there's a built in FTP server, and I think possibly email too, but that doesn't make IIS/Windows good.  (I can't stand IIS.)  Ease of use does not make the quality of something better, unless you count ease of use as quality, which I do not.  (Unless it's just not possible to use it.)

No process forking?  How many times have you had to process fork before?  As for the directory thing, *nix systems are case sensitive, so just make sure your directory names and your directory names in PHP are the exactly the same, including case.  Also, windows handles / just fine, so you don't even need to change that later.

How does Firefox versus IE have anything to do with this discussion?  Firefox works on Windows too lol.  When ever I develop stuff, I either develop it on this box (Vista Home Prem SP1) or have a network share (Samba ftw) to a Fedora Core 9 box.  Which ever box I develop on, I still access the actual site from this computer, and most of the time I use Firefox and don't look at it in IE until I either feel something will mess up in IE or until the end.

"its best to develop on MAC and host on linux and just leave windows out of it. i keep a windows machine by my side at work a laptop to test IE 6 and have a virtual machine in it for IE7"

Why is it better to develop on Mac?  Because of the similarities between it and linux?  Why not just develop on linux then?

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.