Browser Wars

Philip

[quote author=KingPhilip link=topic=112560.msg493237#msg493237 date=1167415282]
[quote author=AXiSS link=topic=112560.msg493189#msg493189 date=1167410292]
I love IE7
[/quote]

I don't see how. Have you tried Friefox 2, with any extensions? They are quite a few really really nice ones out there.
[/quote]

Actually, IE7 is quite the nice browser, in and of itself. The part I don't understand is the hatred of firefox. They are both quite nice, and working with them together, you can definitely improve your creation process immensely.

[quote author=obsidian link=topic=112560.msg493242#msg493242 date=1167415657]
I love IE7
[/quote]

I don't see how. Have you tried Friefox 2, with any extensions? They are quite a few really really nice ones out there.
[/quote]

Actually, IE7 is quite the nice browser, in and of itself. The part I don't understand is the hatred of firefox. They are both quite nice, and working with them together, you can definitely improve your creation process immensely.
[/quote]

OK maybe hatred was a bit strong. I have a dislike for Firefox.

[quote author=obsidian link=topic=112560.msg493242#msg493242 date=1167415657]
I love IE7
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Hmm, well I guess it's just mine. I had the Beta version of it, but it won't let me install the new version of it, and it takes about 20 seconds to load up the first page (plus more if i have multiple tabs on startup)

It is better than the other IEs though

• 1 month later...
Just a quick comment on the browser wars, both browsers have merits the thing i hate about IE and Microsoft is that all browsers would conform to the same standards in a perfect world but  Microsoft just has to go do stuff their own way..

Dont forget there is a world beyond firefox and ie, opera is quite nice.

Hmmm seems like I started a highly opinionated thread with a single harmless post :-\

I like IE7 because it has a nice user-friendly interface and can comprehend invalid code pretty well. Tabbed browsing is nice (I realize Firefox also has this) and it is much easier to build a website that will display right in IE7 than it is with Firefox.

"it is much easier to build a website that will display right in IE7 than it is with Firefox."

Perhaps for some people. I find it easier to code for the standards, and add in hacks for IE. Most pages will look the same in Opera, Firefox and Safari without hacking at it much. Then you have to deal with IE7.

As a developer, it's up to you to make it work for everyone, not just the browser you like.

[quote author=AXiSS link=topic=124732.msg518583#msg518583 date=1170298456] it is much easier to build a website that will display right in IE7 than it is with Firefox.
[/quote]

Remember that you still have to accomodate for IE6, Firefox, and Opera, the top three browsers in use right now. IE7 is still going to be the odd-man-out for a while. Unless, of course, you know for certain that your users are going to be using IE7 - a corporate environment, for example, where IT updates your computer whether you want them to or not. :) I would think it would be easiest to write standards-compliant code, first, to make sure that it works in Opera, and then hack for Firefox and IE, but that's just me.

And now for my turn: If I were to calculate my average Windows usage per day over the past year or two, it'd probably be measured in minutes. I don't use Windows if I can help it. However, I am relatively impressed with IE7. They've fixed many rendering bugs, particularly in CSS, and tabs are a feature I've grown dependent on. (look at [url=http://www.positioniseverything.net/explorer.html]these demos[/url] in IE7 to see just how many of those bugs they've taken care of. If it looks right, they fixed it.) However, since I'm a Linux user, it's a hassle to use IE day-to-day, and even using the [url=http://www.tatanka.com.br/ies4linux/page/Main_Page]ies4linux[/url] adaptation of IE7 (under Wine) isn't worth it. As of right now, they've got the rendering engine implemented, and that's really all I need as a web developer.

I guess my browser of choice would be Firefox, simply because of the sheer number of extensions it has. I actually have quite a few bones to pick with Firefox and anything Gecko. Anything based on the Gecko engine has a massive memory footprint and takes up an unholy amount of storage space. The Mozilla browser is just an interface wrapped around the Gecko engine, and the source is a whopping 30M. Subtract a generous 5M for the interface, and you've got a rendering engine that uses 25M worth of source code. When it's compiled, Mozilla Firefox 2.0 takes up 51M, whereas Opera uses only 16M. As for memory footprint: Mozilla Firefox 2.0 uses nearly 100M of memory, and Opera uses just 25M. If I had a choice, I would LOVE to use something other than Firefox, but nothing else has support for the extensions I love.

[b]Change of mind:[/b] I can't remember the last time I tried Opera, but its ad blocking support has improved by leaps and bounds since then. I'll be using Opera from now on. It's lightweight, VERY functional, and free. You can't beat that.

You may have found something there. Flock looks very nice, and they're starting to build up their extensions collection. However, I suppose I wasn't entirely truthful - in actuality, it should have been "I would love to use something that doesn't use the Gecko engine." Flock has a Mozilla framework, and Mozilla, by definition, uses Gecko. It's still going to have a gargantuan footprint and take ages to build. Thanks for the suggestion, though, and I'll definitely suggest that people give it a shot.

[quote author=jesirose link=topic=124732.msg518630#msg518630 date=1170301952]
You could always write your own ;)
[/quote]

Now theres a idea!....on another subject I've never even heard of Flock.  Guess I will google it and check it out.  I do know that I hate and I mean HATE doing design work for IE7.  I refuse to use a microsoft product at home...............wait...............I have a microsoft keyboard.........damn.... ::)

When I said it was easier to code for IE7 I wasn't saying I disregard standards and just code what looks good in IE. I meant that even if code is valid according to W3C validators, it doesn't display right in FF, and it usually looks great in IE.

[quote author=AXiSS link=topic=124732.msg520250#msg520250 date=1170470621]I meant that even if code is valid according to W3C validators, it doesn't display right in FF, and it usually looks great in IE.
[/quote]

Wow... I'd like to see an example of that. Time after time after time, I write my code up where it validates by W3C standards, and it looks great in FF, Opera and even Safari, but [b]IE[/b] is the one that I have to add all sorts of hacks and adjustments for.

[quote author=ShogunWarrior link=topic=124732.msg521224#msg521224 date=1170597859]
I'll give some credance to AXiSS here, there are some circumstances where IE is more forgiving and does what you expect but FF/Opera are slightly different.
[/quote]

[i]Forgiving[/i] and [i]compliant[/i] are two [b]completely[/b] different things, though. When it comes to coding, there is a [b]huge[/b] difference between a browser doing what [i]I think[/i] it should do and what the W3C actually says it should do. The only thing right offhand that I've personally experienced (and I'll give credit where credit is due) where IE is more compliant than FF is where clearing of floats are concerned. According to the W3C, a [i]clear[/i] declaration is to clear [b]all floats that come before it in the markup[/b]. FF (or better said, [i]the Gecko engine[/i]) clears only those floats that come before it in the same parent structure. This makes a huge difference in the way things look and behave.

Now, that credit being given, it's very easy to accommodate for that and get FF to handle the floats appropriately as well, but otherwise, IE really does not handle compliancy issues well.

[quote author=obsidian link=topic=124732.msg521189#msg521189 date=1170595411]
[quote author=AXiSS link=topic=124732.msg520250#msg520250 date=1170470621]I meant that even if code is valid according to W3C validators, it doesn't display right in FF, and it usually looks great in IE.
[/quote]

Wow... I'd like to see an example of that. Time after time after time, I write my code up where it validates by W3C standards, and it looks great in FF, Opera and even Safari, but [b]IE[/b] is the one that I have to add all sorts of hacks and adjustments for.
[/quote]

Microsoft has been quoted saying that they make IE specifically for their own standards.  A example to digest is the way IE handles events.  Also the way IE handles AJAX calls as well.  Once Microsoft stops trying to monopolize every technological market then they will have some good software.  Until then I refuse to use IE personally....I just had to make sure my apps work in the damn thing.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.