steelmanronald06

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Ftp Program: SOmething you use to upload/download files to an ftp server

Ftp Server: Something used to recieve, and give files requested by an ftp Program

My favorite FTP program is dreamweavers native capabilities.  There are a few problems, like if you synch, (one time I erased a whole website), it doesn't always turn out well, but for standard uses I love it.

My favorite FTP server: http://www.serv-u.com/ I only ever needed one, and this was my favorite, it's got a free trial, about long enough to deal with any project, and it is easy to setup, I like the features, I only used it one time so far.  It was a very easy, and pleasant experience however.

• 2 months later...

Alright... I thought I'd post an update here.  Over the past few days I've had issues with SmartFTP so I decided to give FileZilla a better shot.  I'm definately using Filezilla now but there are a few features I miss about SmartFTP (mainly the ability to connect to more than one site at a time).

• 3 weeks later...

A good alternative is internet explorer. Simply write in: ftp://yourwebsite.com . Make sure you have your option on, "Allow FTP pages shown up" in the -> Tools ->Options.

The best one I have ever used was the FTP that my webserver provider provides, Godaddy.com. They have this javascript one that never fails. Check if you host has one to provide you.

A good alternative is internet explorer. Simply write in: ftp://yourwebsite.com . Make sure you have your option on, "Allow FTP pages shown up" in the -> Tools ->Options.

The best one I have ever used was the FTP that my webserver provider provides, Godaddy.com. They have this javascript one that never fails. Check if you host has one to provide you.

Godaddy sucks. Cute FTP owns.

That may well be, but we need you to qualify that. Why does Godaddy suck, and why does Cute FTP "own"?

That may well be, but we need you to qualify that. Why does Godaddy suck, and why does Cute FTP "own"?

Well, I guess it'd be more accurate to say that it's just my thoughts on how they are... I really don't like the cpanel of godaddy, the way you have to do everything most stuff through it's (imo) crappy cpanel is just a hassle... As for Cute FTP, I just like it :P It's easy to use, can do everything you need it to, etc.

So the statement was based on your personal preference!! becuase you

don't like the cpanel of godaddy
as for my personal preference when i first used CuteFTP seamed very basic and while easy to use missed most advanced options.. but now days its more down the way you work.. as most FTP programs can all do the same functions

Well, I guess it'd be more accurate to say that it's just my thoughts on how they are... I really don't like the cpanel of godaddy, the way you have to do everything most stuff through it's (imo) crappy cpanel is just a hassle... As for Cute FTP, I just like it :P It's easy to use, can do everything you need it to, etc.

• 2 months later...

I've used SmartFTP (Till I bought Vista <- IT WORKS....) But since then I've switched over to FireFTP which I like a lot. I have XAMPP as my testing server, Dreamweaver as my editor, then I just upload using FireFTP to my web site. Been doing this for a few months and I've had no trouble. I like the fact that I have an FTP "program" in my browser. Combined with PortableApps I can edit my site from just about any where I go. Works for me! All IMO

• 2 weeks later...

The license never runs out lol... oh well they don't know that.  ;D

Actually SmartFTP is free for personal/educational use. (Unless they changed it) One reason why I really liked it. The stability for XP was great too. Not so great for Vista when it first came out.. I'll have to give it a try again. It really is a good program.

• 2 months later...

Wow, nobody here rooting for FileZilla?

From my personal opinion, because in my country and internet's speed is pretty disappointing, browser-based CPanels (especially the ftp://site.com for Internet Explorer) are 99% hindrance 1% useful. Note: I have not used GoDaddy's CPanel so I cannot say whether it is an exception.

I've tried CuteFTP and SmartFTP before but for me, they're all pretty much the same, and since I started off with FileZilla I'm quite comfortable where I am.

• 1 month later...

First all but one person mentions my favorite edit program, EditPlus. Now, no one even mentions the great LeapFTP. :( Okay, it's nothing spectacular but I just like the easiness and it has the features I need, so never switched in the 6 years I've used it.