Which PHP Editor do you think is the best? [v2]

Daniel0

Which PHP Editor do you think is the best?  

317 members have voted

1. 1. Which PHP Editor do you think is the best?

• Dreamweaver
    • Komodo
    • PHP Designer
    • Eclipse
    • PHPEdit
    • Quanta Plus
    • Vi(m)
    • Emacs
    • BBEdit
    • Zend Studio
    • Notepad++
    • HTML Kit
    • NetBeans
    • TextMate
    • Other
    • Aptana
    • UltraEdit
    • PHPStorm
    • Sublime
    • Code Lobster

Personally, I like anything from regular Notepad to Zend Studio.  I haven't been able to try Eclipse yet but I'm eager to since they've integrated the PHP libraries into it.. much like Dreamweaver and Zend Studio.  That key feature is what sells me on an editor.  That fact that the editor can tell me which function I'm about to type and which parameters that I NEED is awesome.  I can't stand having to go back and forth from the editor to the manual.  Especially when I'm working with those functions I don't normally use.

What I really want to use is an editor with File Management capabilties, PHP function recognition, Regex Search and Replace and FTP access, then I believe I'd be a happy camper/coder.  Too bad that editor has to be Dreamweaver.  Perhaps there is another one out there that I don't know about?

I love Dreamweaver, and have been using it for a while. NetBeans was really slow when I tried to use it, but I was developing Java applications in it so IDK how well it does with PHP.

I like eclipse instead of Netbeans for Java stuff anyways, and Komodo is pretty cool. NP++ is all around good though, and what I use when I don't have a dedicated IDE for a certain language

vim is my choice :D

What I really want to use is an editor with File Management capabilties, PHP function recognition, Regex Search and Replace and FTP access, then I believe I'd be a happy camper/coder.  Too bad that editor has to be Dreamweaver.  Perhaps there is another one out there that I don't know about?

file management? do you mean something like Vim Project?

vim has PHP function recognition, you just have to get the file from the vim site.

regex search/replace has always existed in vim too.

ftp is also supported.

although i prefer scp via ssh

every unix/linux machine out there will have vim or vi (older version) on it so if you do get used to vim, doing an urgent remote edit won't be a problem.

there's tons more that vim can do.

i'll admit it's not the most pleasant editor to get used to but once you do start using it, your productivity will shoot skywards because it's so efficient.

I was introduced to vi(m) a few years ago when I took Linux Admin and Linux Advanced Admin at my community college.  Like every other *nix head the teacher was completely bonkers over it and preached to us all that it was the greatest thing since sliced bread.

But he made a horrible impression of it to us when he actually got around to showing us.  Although, we weren't using the GUI version (if there is one) it was the CLI based version.  The one in which the only thing I can remember is that in order to exit the program I had to type q and s and number sign and exclamation mark, etc, etc.. more unexplained commands.

I'm sure it's a great editor but I didn't learn a damned thing in those classes.. other than what an rpm was.. and yum, etc. Oh. and how to install it with apt-get/install (assuming that was installed).  Off Topic

Other - Geany. Have been using it for the past year or two and does everything I need.

I have heard people raving about vi(m) too. If nano is not available, I know how to use it on a (very) basic level for quick changes, I just haven't had the time to sit down and see what all of the fuss is about, because initially it appears to be so long winded to use...

I've yet to see a reason why would I want to use vim (other than being able to say I use it, just like all other cool kids do). It seems like quite a different approach than we're accustomed to see in IDEs...

Ok.. downloaded, installed, now browsing the wiki :P

Notepadd++!!

You can download a plugin for file management, I've started using it recently. PHP function recognition is built in, just needs to be turned on. It also gives a popup of the required paramaters. There is standard and regex search and replace. I'm not to sure about FTP access, I believe that there is a plugin for that, I just open one the old fashioned way ;)