Which PHP Editor do you think is the best? [v2]

Daniel0

Which PHP Editor do you think is the best?  

317 members have voted

1. 1. Which PHP Editor do you think is the best?

• Dreamweaver
    • Komodo
    • PHP Designer
    • Eclipse
    • PHPEdit
    • Quanta Plus
    • Vi(m)
    • Emacs
    • BBEdit
    • Zend Studio
    • Notepad++
    • HTML Kit
    • NetBeans
    • TextMate
    • Other
    • Aptana
    • UltraEdit
    • PHPStorm
    • Sublime
    • Code Lobster

• 1 month later...

Yo.... where's the love for the JetBrains IDEs?

PHPStorm and its big brother, IntelliJ Idea are my two new favorite IDEs for PHP. 

They're both significantly faster than Eclipse and NetBeans for project-wide-search and open-file-by-name, because of how they index your project.

I've been using IntelliJ Idea for about a month now... it's basically PHPStorm + PyCharm + awesome Java editing + pretty much anything else you need... so if you're a multi-faceted programmer, it's probably ideal for you.

Only downside is it costs money.  $199 for an individual license.

I guess you get what you pay for!

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Im with you smoseley ^^

ive been a notepad++ person for as long as i recall but i recently discovered JetBrains PhpStorm. it is by far the best editor in years. it has so many cool lil features. I think you should all go try it out!

Edited by spiderwell

Im with you smoseley ^^

ive been a notepad++ person for as long as i recall but i recently discovered JetBrains PhpStorm. it is by far the best editor in years. it has so many cool lil features. I think you should all go try it out!

I am with you there 110%.

++PhpStorm. The new version even auto-detects if you have a popular MVC framework.

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Wow, I'm suprised Dreamweaver got this many votes, even if the topic is almost 4 years old. Didn't even realize they still make it. From my experience you're better off with Vim (which I do use for quick edits of config files but find lacking as an IDE).

That said, the single feature I find most useful in an IDE is code completion. I suffer from what we Dutch refer to as "geheugen als een goudvis", which compares one's short term memory to the proposed 3 seconds of retention a goldfish possesses. Unfortunately this is also the feature that provides the biggest challenge to IDE developers in terms of performance when library size approaches he gigabyte. I've tried quite a few. PHPStorm seems perform best right now. ZSfE was awesome featurewise, I might give it another try to see if it performs better now :)

I must be the only one that hates code completion.

Naw, I generally don't care for it. Mostly that is just because of the implementations I've tried, almost all have sucked and gotten in the way more than they helped really. The only IDE I've used that I did like the completion for was Visual Studio when coding some VB.NET and C# stuff. It was pretty decent at completing structures like if's and loops while still being usable. It also provided suggestions for member functions and pressing enter/'.'/'(' would complete the word.

I'm still used to just using my plain text editor without all the fancy ide features. I did pick up a copy of PHPStorm though and have been trying it whenever I work on something new. It's been pretty decent so far but I have a lot to learn about it still.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

My apologies, clearly Vim has a plenitude of features I'm not utilizing. But as far as auto-complete goes, I find it indispensable. But perhaps my ability to memorize an absurd number of API's is sub-par ;)

I must be the only one that hates code completion.

I don't like code completion either (unless it's in my console, there it's handy if you only need snippets to test one-liners), simple syntax highlighting is all a proper editor needs imo.