Bing or Google?

The Little Guy

Saw this ad in my Twitter:

http://www.bingiton.com

Basically you do a search and it displays Bing's results on one side and Google's on another side (The side is random for each search), and you have to choose which result set you like better. The bad thing is, their is still a way to cheat....

But basically it is Microsoft trying to prove it is better than Google. After the test Google won for me :birthday:

2 draws, 2 google, 1 bing. 

Even when I tought google was better, bing wasn't necessarily bad.  Most of the time the first two or three results were the same, maybe just in a slightly different order.

I use google for two reasons mainly:

1) It's built into chrome's address bar (i know bing is too but google is default).  and 

2) Habit, i've been using it for a long time. 

The few times I've used bing there hasn't really been anything that would make me go there over google.

Bah... As I halfway expected, considering it was made by MS, it didn't work for me. Just got the "loading round 1" message and there it sat. No warnings, error messages or anything.

Even when I clicked on one of the results "buttons", the loading message disappeared and the screen greyed out. Nothing else.

So, so far: Google: 0 - Bing: 0 - Test: -1

Bah... As I halfway expected, considering it was made by MS, it didn't work for me. Just got the "loading round 1" message and there it sat. No warnings, error messages or anything.

Even when I clicked on one of the results "buttons", the loading message disappeared and the screen greyed out. Nothing else.

So, so far: Google: 0 - Bing: 0 - Test: -1

Yeah, I was able to finish the test but then nothing happened. :/

The wording of the site is funny.

For me, Google 4;  Bing 1

My distaste in Bing is really the fact of the design, I think it is horrendous. And the fact that I have rarely been able to "bing" something and find it within seconds like I can with google.

I like neither. As a general purpose search engine they are both probably GREAT! But when you want to search for something specific you more often then not get non-relevant links (like when I searched earlier for "community logos" it gave me results related to baptism and the bible... dafuq!). This is just one example we can thank all those SEO consultants for worldwide... Which is another issue I have with both search engines.

It would be really great if Google,Bing,<competitor name here> would take the same route stackoverflow takes with their communities (*.stackoverflow.com). So that when I am looking for programming related stuff I don't end up getting bible phrases... and that's probably a million-dollar niche idea I just flapped out in the open!

I also found it very hard to simply navigate to a service/product on Google's website, before their entire overhaul, without having to resort to their own search engine to find the damn product/service..

like when I searched earlier for "community logos" it gave me results related to baptism and the bible... dafuq!

Did you look at the results? The reason is pretty obvious.

Yes, I did. And yes I know why. Probably a bad example on my part but a problem I believe many of us faced before either ending giving up or keep adding -somekeyword. I tried adding "relevant:" once but that did not work :(

And for christ sake Google "I DO NOT SPEAK CHINESE/KOREAN/JAPANESE !! So filter these too so that I don't have to manually enter a language filter EVERY TIME!" I even properly configured Chrome so that it has the Accept-Language header set to the languages I speak/understand: French, German, Dutch, English.

Just because you NEVER get a wrong result from Google means that everyone else does too. I am not claiming all the results I get from Google are wrong it's just that they can easily filter out languages I most likely do not speak and even if there is no 100% way at the very least they could remember the language filters I set so I don't have to repeat them every time.

I'm not saying that, I'm just surprised that you are getting results in another language - it makes me wonder what you are searching for. Anyway how would they know what languages you speak? Plus, if you're using Chrome it automatically translates.

What makes a result "wrong" anyway?

it makes me wonder what you are searching for.

This is mostly when I am searching for software architectural articles or methodologies (I think I had it last with domain-driven design). So I guess it's with more exotic search terms.

I think it is funny how you actually implied that I am a liar ("I've NEVER gotten a result in korean or chinese.") and a pervert? ("it makes me wonder what you are searching for"). Great to see to get this kind of respect from fellow members.

What makes a result "wrong" anyway?

When it does not satisfy the user's expectations :P (ie bible phrase for a community logo)

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.