Photo

Do you disable JS in your browser?

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

Poll: Do you disable Javascript when you're browsing? (53 member(s) have cast votes)

Do you disable Javascript when you're browsing?

1. No (22 votes [95.65%])

Percentage of vote: 95.65%

2. Yes (1 votes [4.35%])

Percentage of vote: 4.35%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#21 LiamProductions

LiamProductions
  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • Advanced Member
  • 496 posts

Posted 12 July 2007 - 03:33 PM

What would be the point of disabling javascript? but no

In this hour, Your going to get your hands dirty with some of the nuts and bolts in the language

#22 neylitalo

neylitalo
  • Staff Alumni
  • Advanced Member
  • 1,854 posts
  • LocationMichigan, USA

Posted 13 July 2007 - 04:35 AM

Some (paranoid, IMO) users decide that Javascript is a security threat and disable it. It can indeed be a security threat, but I wouldn't be surprised if most (all?) browsers are intelligent enough to block malicious activity.
http://nealylitalo.net - My personal website, and home of The Netizen's Journal.

#23 roopurt18

roopurt18
  • Staff Alumni
  • Advanced Member
  • 3,749 posts
  • LocationCalifornia, southern

Posted 18 July 2007 - 08:43 PM

I leave it on.  The site I develop pretty much requires it.  I'd love to take the time to make sure everything works with or without Javascript but the bottom line is the site is intended for a very specific audience and we can pretty much tell them, "You have to have Javascript turned on."  It really doesn't matter if robots can crawl our site as they can't really get to much without logging in to start with.  Basically when I have an impatient project manager jumping up and down behind me going, "Is it ready, is it ready?  When can I sell it?" and I have to make a choice between cool (read asynchronous requests) or accessible, I have to lean towards cool.

As far as being a security concern, I think there's just too big of a market of people who don't know how to use their PC.  I've always been into PC games so performance is always a top priority for me.  As such I've never run any firewall or anti-virus software.  It's been years since I've done it, but back in college I downloaded my fair share of multimedia and cracked software.  I've spent probably at least $1000 / year online since 1998, some years more, and I do my banking and pay bills online.

Number of problems I've had: Zero.

Maybe once a year I'll run AdAware and it'll pick up one or two spyware things and about as often I'll run AVG and it never finds anything.

People just need to learn to be careful what they click on.
PHP Forms : Part I | Part II

JavaScript: Singleton

http://www.rbredlau.com

#24 akitchin

akitchin
  • Staff Alumni
  • Advanced Member
  • 2,516 posts
  • LocationCalgary, AB, Canada

Posted 18 July 2007 - 08:50 PM

People just need to learn to be careful what they click on.

i couldn't have said it better myself.

#25 Azu

Azu
  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • Advanced Member
  • 1,047 posts
  • LocationU.S.A.

Posted 24 July 2007 - 05:54 AM

True, you could just NEVER click on ANY links from emails, and NEVER go to ANY websites that you don't completely trust.

But personally, I think it's easier to just not let people run javascript on my computer except where there is a good reason to (like for sites that can't run unless you let them use javascript).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users